English with a Russian/German/French/etc...etc accent.

Non-English characters speaking english with foreign accents  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• It's laughable, and distracts me from the film.
    • It depends on how convincing the accent is.
    • I don't care one way or another
    • I like it, it's better then subtitles.
    • Other (specify)

We take it for granted, because Hollywood has been doing it for so long.

But when you think about it, it's rather ridiculous.

In almost every Hollywood/American film that plays in a foreign country, or were non-english speaking characters play a large role, you will always hear those people speak english with somekind of accent.

Even when no American/English or english speaking persons are in a scene, or even in the entire film.

Even highly aclaimed film like Schindlers List, which pride themselves on their accuracy have actors reciting english dialogue, with German/Polish/Jewish accents.

Also, sometimes particular actors will play foreign characters and not even attempt speaking with an accent.

Sean Connery for instance, who has played a Spanish immortal, English secret agent, Irish cop and a Russian submarine captain, always with that thick Scottish accent.

The reason is off course, that most Americans, and many from others countries do not like subtitles.

Since Mel Gibson is planning to make a 4 hour epic about the life of Jeebus, spoken in the original languages i thought it interesting to make this poll.

Stefancos- who saw a American film about Dutch people, who all spoke English, without any Dutch accents. :?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Sean Connery's accent no matter what role, as an American, an Englishman, a Russian, its just great.

I love him on Jeapordy especially when

he selects Therapist for 200.00 :wow: ;)

:PROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

It totally removed from Edges of the Lord. Seeing good old Haley Joel Osment speaking with German accent at the beginning always made me think: "he IS acting!"

Then again, we have Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List. So it really depends.

The worst accent was the viceroys in The Phantom Menace. As Rod Hilton pointed out: couldn't they have found any other accent that it wasn't Asian for the evil, dumb character.

-ROSS, who thought Edges of the Lord had good intentions but was of bad taste

For the most recent example of bad accents check out "K-19: The Widowmaker" with Harrison Ford. Ford's attempt at a Russian accent made me cringe like a man hit by an atomic blast.

Other fine examples of accents

Mike Myers accent in Goldmember as Goldmember, I'm dutch isn't that veird.

Kevin Costner as Robin Hood, on and off bad english accent.

Princess Leia's one minute I am english, the next I'm not.

Sir John Gielgud's role as butler in Arthur and his phoney english accent.

Edward G Robinson's accent in the Ten Commandments, priceless.

I can't really vote. It should bother me, because when I think about the concept, it does. But I rarely think about it when it happens in a film.

Of course there are exceptions. Sean Connery is one (though I still think he wouldn't make a good Gandalf because of that, language is too important in Tolkien to change it). Arnold Schwarzenegger is another. LOL

The worst accent was the viceroys in The Phantom Menace. As Rod Hilton pointed out: couldn't they have found any other accent that it wasn't Asian for the evil, dumb character.

Don't be so paranoid.

Anyway, better english than subtitles. Even though with subtitles you don't have the problem of missing a word or 2. :P

Don't be so PC. Besides they weren't just Asian, they were Japanese to be sure. And they were perfect. What should they have been German, Russian, or Arab. Either way Lucas would take heat. And in this case I am on his side. He chose to use an accent of one of the enemies of the last great world war. And he isn't being mean, he honors the Japanese culture in his other Star Wars films, in his designs.

Don't be so PC. Besides they weren't just Asian, they were Japanese to be sure. And they were perfect. What should they have been German, Russian, or Arab. Either way Lucas would take heat. And in this case I am on his side. He chose to use an accent of one of the enemies of the last great world war. And he isn't being mean, he honors the Japanese culture in his other Star Wars films, in his designs.

That is too subjective to be debated.

-ROSS, who does understand Joe's POV, I just don't share it.

He chose to use an accent of one of the enemies of the last great world war.

Hmmmm...actually, he used Vietnamese persons to do the voices, not Japanese.

I'm sure he's honoring the victors of THAT great war. LOL

Stefancos- :P

all you smart people on this board and no one has

called me on the carpet for my remarks about John Gielgud.

Joe, wondering when the great dumb down started.

Usualy I find it stupid, annoying and irritating. But with Schindler's list- it is nessecary, as if there is not a single world of English set in the movie, you must change the main languages to neutral, English in Hollywood, and, I've also seen the same with some Russian movies- everybody (including the Nazis) speak Russian.

I just last week saw two these two movies- 'Where Eagles Dare' (1961) with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood and 'The Longest day'(1962) with so many stars that I can't start naming them.

The thing I noticed above all (which I also noticed when I saw them 5 years ago) is that although I loved the former, the latter was much more credible, as it had real German actors playing the Nazis, and speaking real German, as where WED had British actors with their British accent doing it.

If you have to do it- make it very clear why you're doing it. Best example for that is in 'The hunt for Red October' (I love the movie, has a great Pouleduris score). Where it starts with everyone speaking Russian (Connery has a terrible Russian accent) and then, as you see someone reading a book out loud in Russian, in the middle of a sentence, it all of a sudden changes into English- so you understand that they're speaking Russians, but because nobody wants to read subtitles through an entire movie, and since noone paid to see Sean connery, one of the greatest actors of all times, speaking Russian the whole time.

Sorry for the lengthy reply- but get me started on movies, you'll never hear the end of it.

Subtitles are not realistic or 'credible' either. :mrgreen: What matters more is how accurate the movie is, shouldn't be overblown and too typically hollywood. Subtitles or no subtitles makes no difference there.

In the German dub, the Nemoidians have a FRENCH accent  :sigh: Now THAT sounds quite weird...

-Chris

My friend Steve who lives in Dallas adopted 2 children from Columbia, both he and his wife speak fluent Spanish, except the hispanic people in Dallas tell him he speaks spanish with a french accent. Sorry to bore you, just after seeing Chris' post it reminded me of that.