The dead insulting the dead!

And if we're honest, that's exactly the kind of sleaze we REALLY want to hear. :pukeface: I distinctly remember the uproar when Goldsmith did some harmless snide remarks in Williams direction in this conversation with his daughter and everyone got up in arms, carefully dissecting every word and crying how Goldsmith could possibly besmirch the maestro's name....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if we're honest, that's exactly the kind of sleaze we REALLY want to hear. :pukeface: I distinctly remember the uproar when Goldsmith did some harmless snide remarks in Williams direction in this conversation with his daughter and everyone got up in arms, carefully dissecting every word and crying how Goldsmith could possibly besmirch the maestro's name....

yes about johnny selling himself to the public.. being part of a ponyshow (boston pops concerts/Rose Parade) and yes thats pretty harmless

But Horner didn't say anything but his opinion and what the audience and the producers obviously thought. I can only assume that people who say "wow what an arrogant snob!!" don't get what he is saying. Horner is far more experienced than Yared in typical Hollywood scores (you know those who just serve the purpose and as a standalone product aren't very meaningful and have not much heart) while Yared in my eyes/ears is a real Artist/Composer... Yared failed the subject with Troy.. he created music that was much to good.

In this interview he also stated that the English patient is practically music by Bach, and people started biching arroung how this Plagerist could even dare to say something about a fellow-composer. But again Horner said the truth, and to make it sound like Bach was a deliberate decision by Minghella/Yared. He didn't mean to downplay hi,m, he just said "Well these artsy scores are his masterclass, while I do commercial films"

and i concur with Horner absolutely in that one!!

yes about johnny selling himself to the public.. being part of a ponyshow (boston pops concerts/Rose Parade) and yes thats pretty harmless

But Horner didn't say anything but his opinion and what the audience and the producers obviously thought. I can only assume that people who say "wow what an arrogant snob!!" don't get what he is saying. Horner is far more experienced than Yared in typical Hollywood scores (you know those who just serve the purpose and as a standalone product aren't very meaningful and have not much heart) while Yared in my eyes/ears is a real Artist/Composer... Yared failed the subject with Troy.. he created music that was much to good.

Well, if he would have said 'Yared's score was atrocious' one or two times less, perhaps. Horner comes off as a git, plain and simple. Not on the scale of denying the Holocaust or something to that effect but the smugness of 'i had to come to rescue the sinking ship', not even considering that to crawl before test audiences in the american midwest may have not been the only option for the producers, well that's just bad form. Especially when he bemoans the lowbrow state of movies nowadays later in the interview.

These composers may say the truth, but there ways and ways to say it more politely or not as harsh.

Horner BTW has uses many classical pieces in his socres. He should critisize others for that.

:blink: Goldsmith said that Williams was a popularity bich*!

*As a Veterinarian, i must object that the word used for the female dog is filtered :pukeface:

Goldsmith said that Williams was a popularity bich!

He said that being master of ceremonies on a street parade wearing a silly hat is a rather offensive engagement and i tend to agree. But you just know that Goldsmith would've loved to indulge in some of the public awareness Williams got over the years.

He said that being master of ceremonies on a street parade wearing a silly hat is a rather offensive engagement and i tend to agree. But you just know that Goldsmith would've loved to indulge in some of the public awareness Williams got over the years.

Yeah i think it was more jealousy than anything.

BTW, a grown man over his sixties wearing a ponytail, now that's something 'silly' and offensive :pukeface:

Are those comments by Horner real or Hitch made them up?

Ironic that some of Horner's score seems to STEAL from Yared.

They are real comments.

They are from a very long audio interview Daniel Schweiger from Film Music Radio had with Horner quite a while back.

And yes, those are direct quotes - my opinion of him plummeted when I first heard it.

Yeah i think it was more jealousy than anything.

BTW, a grown man over his sixties wearing a ponytail, now that's something 'silly' and offensive :pukeface:

Well both men had/have loving families, so i wouldn't overemphasize these little petty remarks. Goldsmith certainly hasn't lost sleep over this subject.

Now, the ponytail may be in bad taste, but it's at least more hip (in a warped sense) than some old millionaire doing the circus bear routine on a parade wagon.

BTW, a grown man over his sixties wearing a ponytail, now that's something 'silly' and offensive

Have you ever seen Goldsmith conduct vs. Williams conduct, live?

The former looked very...how do I put...cool. It's like you're not supposed to look that smooth and cool conducting but he did. The latter looks like he is disinterest half the time and having an orgasm half the time. :pukeface:

Actually Williams wore his Boston Red Sox Baseball cap while he was riding in the Rose Bowl Parade.

That's why i like the correct humility of John Williams

I'm sorry what? Humility? John Williams?

The man exudes ego in the most powerful sense of the word. He condescends in almost every interview, but because he adds please and thank you, you call it humility?

Sarcasm?

Not at all.

Elaborate.

Now, the ponytail may be in bad taste, but it's at least more hip (in a warped sense) than some old millionaire doing the circus bear routine on a parade wagon.

How was it in bad taste? Goldsmith wore some horrible styles earlier in his career, but during the ponytail era, he was the classiest-looking elderly film composer by far.

And he even inspired Connery, don't forget that.