The reuse of a Shofar call

artyjeffrey

Tonight I was listening to a cd a friend had brought by, the Falcon release of "More Music from The Ten Commandments," when I heard something all too familiar at the beginning of the track 19 ("A New Day, Exodus"). The shofar call is absolutely the same one used by the Ewoks in RotJ. It's lifted right from this track.

I'm sure it's old news to most of you, but was extremely amusing to me a few minutes ago!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it was amusing to hear, didn't catch it in the film after all those years of watching The Ten Commandments. It wasn't until I bought the score that it caught my attention.

I own The Ten Commandments, but it wasn't until I opened this thread that I learned of a second CD of more material. The only place I found to buy "More Music from The Ten Commandments" was on a website for $149. Ouch.

I've always thought the shofar calls were similar enough that ROTJ's could've been lifted from The Ten Commandments, or it could've been easily emulated by anyone with a shofar. I wonder if the shofar from The Ten Commandments was hoisted to use in a sound effects library, which ROTJ then borrowed from that, thus indirectly taking from the holder movie.

A ram's horn. Most famous in film music probably for it's use in 'The Hunt' from Planet of The Apes. It's used in traditional Jewish rituals on the Hebrew new year. In the bible, the sound of a Shofar is said to have crumbled the walls of Jericho.

A ram's horn. Most famous in film music probably for it's use in 'The Hunt' from Planet of The Apes. It's used in traditional Jewish rituals on the Hebrew new year. In the bible, the sound of a Shofar is said to have crumbled the walls of Jericho.

So in Lucas' mind, the Ewoks are Jewish?

Oy?