Film music concert in London

Omen II

The London Symphony Orchestra will be giving a concert of film music at London's Barbican Centre on Saturday 4th April 2009. The programme is yet to be announced, so keep your eye on the details here. However, the twist with this one is that all the selections will be drawn from films for which the LSO recorded the original soundtrack.

No doubt John Williams will be well represented, but I'd also love to hear things like Clash of the Titans, 49th Parallel, The Four Feathers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and that. Does anyone have any wishes from the LSO's pantheon of film soundtracks? Post them here, you never know who might be reading...

Xian Zhang conducts, Sir Thomas Pearson presents.

Damien :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The London Symphony Orchestra will be giving a concert of film music at London's Barbican Centre on Saturday 4th April 2009. The programme is yet to be announced, so keep your eye on the details here. However, the twist with this one is that all the selections will be drawn from films for which the LSO recorded the original soundtrack.

No doubt John Williams will be well represented, but I'd also love to hear things like Clash of the Titans, 49th Parallel, The Four Feathers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and that. Does anyone have any wishes from the LSO's pantheon of film soundtracks? Post them here, you never know who might be reading...

Xian Zhang conducts, Sir Thomas Pearson presents.

Damien :)

What about Willow, Merlin, or CutThroat Island? Well, can't be in London at that time anyway :jump:

• 1 month later...

Some more news on this concert: both Patrick Doyle and Trevor Jones are scheduled to appear to discuss their music. It would certainly be great to hear some of Trevor Jones's music in concert. The full programme has not yet been announced, but given that the theme of the concert is soundtracks on which the LSO performed, I am guessing that the likes of The Dark Crystal, Merlin and Thirteen Days might be possibilities.

Some more news on this concert: both Patrick Doyle and Trevor Jones are scheduled to appear to discuss their music. It would certainly be great to hear some of Trevor Jones's music in concert. The full programme has not yet been announced, but given that the theme of the concert is soundtracks on which the LSO performed, I am guessing that the likes of The Dark Crystal, Merlin and Thirteen Days might be possibilities.

This is great news! The LSO is probably the best orchestra around the globe.

By the way... Why didn't the sountrack of KotCS wasn't recorded with that orchestra? It means that JW won't work with it in the future?

More info from Tommy Pearson was posted at FSM earlier in the month.

Horner's selection is still TBC. Futile Escape / Bishops Countdown from Aliens or selections from The Land Before Time would be great, but it will probably be Braveheart

Either way, I'll definitely be there!! <_<

Hi guys,

Following our sell-out concert in January 2008, which featured David Arnold and Patrick Doyle and, of course, the mighty London Symphony Orchestra, we have an even bigger night planned for this year.

On April 4th, at the Barbican Hall in London, we celebrate the LSO's extraordinary life in film with performances of scores that the orchestra originally recorded for the soundtrack. The programme is still being finalised, but will include:

WILLIAMS: Superman

BLISS: Things to Come

TREVOR JONES: Suite, The Dark Crystal

ADDINSELL: Warsaw Concerto from Dangerous Moonlight

JAMES HORNER: tbc

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: 49th Parallel

GEORGE FENTON: Shadowlands

WALTON: Suite from Henry V

DESPLAT: The Queen

WILLIAMS: Suites from Star Wars and Phantom Menace

PATRICK DOYLE: Harry Potter/Goblet of Fire

WILLIAMS: Raiders March

London Symphony Orchestra

Conductor: Xian Zhang

Host/Concert Producer: Tommy Pearson

Most of the composers that are still with us will be present at the concert, introducing their own work, alongside some of their movie collaborators (to be announced shortly).
There will also be exclusive, specially-filmed interviews with John Williams
and James Horner, projected on a large screen behind the orchestra.

Trevor Jones, George Fenton, Alexandre Desplat and Patrick Doyle (tbc) will also take part in a free pre-concert talk, where the audience will have a chance to ask questions.

Tickets, which start at only £7, are selling very fast so get in quick:

It's going to be a very special night. Hope you can join us.

TP

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...1&archive=0

Thanks, Tim! It looks like some of the earlier guesses were correct. The full programme has just been announced and you were right with your Horner guess:

JOHN WILLIAMS: Superman March

BLISS: Things to Come

TREVOR JONES: The Dark Crystal

ADDINSELL: Warsaw Concerto

PATRICK DOYLE: Harry in Winter from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

JOHN WILLIAMS: Duel of the Fates from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: Prelude to The 49th Parallel

JAMES HORNER: Braveheart

WALTON arr Mathieson: Charge and Battle from Henry V

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT: The Queen

JOHN WILLIAMS: Star Wars suite

JOHN WILLIAMS: Raiders of the Lost Ark

It looks like a varied and interesting programme, with a number of personal favourites in there too. As well as all the Williams stuff, I am very much looking forward to hearing 49th Parallel and Things to Come. There is no mention of George Fenton or Alexandre Desplat appearing now, but you never know. I wonder if a choir will be employed for Duel of the Fates? I hope so, but would be surprised if there was.

If the Skeksis make an appearance I'll wet my pants! :sleepy:

:P Yes that would be something!

I'd like to think that the London Voices will be on call for Duel of the Fates, let's hope so anyway. Harry in Winter isn't the best cue from GOF but that seems to always be the one that gets performed - the Waltz & Hymn are far superior IMO.

It's an excellent line-up and i'm looking forward to seeing the video messages from Williams & Horner. I think the orchestra should play the Danger Motif when Horner appears on screen as an intro! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was interested to see that the conductor for this concert is now listed as Harry Rabinowitz rather than Xian Zhang. Assuming he is the same one I am thinking of, Rabinowitz is well into his nineties but his conducting CV includes dozens of film scores - as well as several recent conducting jobs for Gabriel Yared and Philippe Sarde, he conducted the scores for such classics as David Shire's Return to Oz and Bill Conti's Masters of the Universe.

I wonder who'll be tinkling the ivories for the Warsaw Concerto?

Am I the only one lamenting the utter predictability of the Williams selections?

I might have tried to go to this one, but I'm going to the LotR live performance a week or so after, and the friend joining me for that is a student up in Manchester, so I don't think I could pull him down again.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else go to this last night? What a brilliant concert! I do not own the CD for The Dark Crystal (yet!), so can anyone tell me what the three selections in the suite were? I think the first bit was the Overture, then I think the Love Theme (?) but not sure about the third bit.

If anyone was wondering what the three selections from Things to Come were (as the programme listed them simply as Extracts), they were the Ballet for Children, Machines and finally the famous March.

Despite one or two quite amusing 'senior moments' from the veteran conductor, I hope I look as good as conductor Harry Rabinowitz if I reach 93!

;)

what other peices were played?

how was duel of the fates?

The full programme was as follows:

JOHN WILLIAMS: Superman

March

ARTHUR BLISS: Things to Come

(i) Ballet for Children

(ii) Machines

(iii) March

TREVOR JONES: The Dark Crystal

Suite

RICHARD ADDINSELL: Dangerous Moonlight

Warsaw Concerto (piano soloist: John Alley)

Suite

JOHN WILLIAMS: Star Wars

Main Title

JOHN WILLIAMS: The Empire Strikes Back

Yoda's Theme

Imperial March

INTERVAL

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: The 49th Parallel

Prelude

JAMES HORNER: Braveheart

Extracts (tin whistle soloist: Sharon Williams)

PHILIPPE ROMBI: Joyeux Noel

Aria (violin soloist: Carmine Lauri)

WILLIAM WALTON (arr Muir Mathieson): Henry V

Suite (Charge and Battle)

PATRICK DOYLE: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

(i) Harry In Winter

(ii) Potter's Waltz

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT: The Queen

Suite

JOHN WILLIAMS: The Phantom Menace

Duel of the Fates

ENCORE

JOHN WILLIAMS: Raiders of the Lost Ark

March

There were also a number of short video interviews screened among the selections, the first of which (before the concert started) was a fun montage of clips from LSO-scored films, photos and even a clip from Family Guy, all accompanied by The Asteroid Field music. Other videos were interviews with John Williams, George Fenton and James Horner. Composers Trevor Jones and Patrick Doyle also joined Tommy Pearson on stage to introduce their music.

I wondered what Duel of the Fates would sound like without a choir, but even with just the London Symphony Orchestra playing on its own it made the hairs on the back of the neck stand on end - fantastic!

Fantastic, now im really annoyed i couldnt make it!

how is the Imperial March live by the LSO? is it like the version on the CD's?

Glad you enjoyed it. I thought london voices were at the concert?

how is the Imperial March live by the LSO? is it like the version on the CD's?

Glad you enjoyed it. I thought london voices were at the concert?

Actually Harry Rabinowitz conducted the Imperial March at quite a lick - probably the fastest tempo I have heard it performed by the LSO, which for me only made it all the more exciting. There was no choir, but with such a large orchestra and percussion section (six players including the timpanist), it is difficult to see where you could have put them at the Barbican. The full orchestra, as far as I can remember, comprised the following:

16 first violins

14 second violins

12 violas

10 or 11 celli

8 double basses

3 flutes, one doubling on piccolo and tin whistle (there may also have been a bass flute in there somewhere)

2 oboes

1 cor anglais

3 clarinets, two doubling on bass clarinet

2 bassoons

1 double bassoon

6 french horns

4 trumpets

3 tenor trombones

1 bass trombone

1 tuba

5 percussionists

1 set of timpani

2 harps, one doubling on celtic harp

1 pianist, doubling on celesta and synthesizer

1 celesta, doubling on synthesizer and page turning for the other pianist!

wow sounds fantastic.

This musical journey thing on friday at the O2 better be good or ill be wishing id gone to the Barbican instead.

• 1 month later...