What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Game Of Thrones is HBO. But I wonder if it's really made for the old HBO crowd or was it a plan to broaden their audience with the nerd crowd? Who knows about these things?

Always fun seeing you and Alex fanboy-wank yourselves over the latest HBO show.

Not true, I'm more of an AMC fanboy these days. Today, HBO shows don't go higher than a 7/10. Of course, I don't see them all. In fact, I see very little. I'm not really a fanboy at all.

Television is way more interesting than cinema now. It seems like the art-house has gone to cable. - David Lynch

Alex

I think they definitely went for everyone with GoT. It made fantasy "cool" and they cast the net over as broad an audience as possible.

HBO also makes Curb Your Enthusiasm btw.

Today, HBO shows don't go higher than a 7/10.

That's been true for a few years now, but True Detective breaks the mould with ease and command.

GoT does score millions and millions of more viewers then other HBO programming.

It is basically HBO's Strictly Come Dancing!

It is, actually. It has become their current flagship. Which is why AMC have bettered them.

Have you seen it Alex? You have long since hoped Matthew to fulfill the promise of his early career. You know, when it seemed he was gonna be the next big thing, and not an actor playing love interests for Jennifer Aniston or Sarah Jessica Parker.

The last time I watched Mcconaughey in anything was U-571 and Sahara. I actually couldn't stand him. He was my Ben Affleck.

But then he blew me away in TD and everything changed.

Have you seen it Alex? You have long since hoped Matthew to fulfill the promise of his early career. You know, when it seemed he was gonna be the next big thing, and not an actor playing love interests for Jennifer Aniston or Sarah Jessica Parker.

I've been preaching the gospel of Matthew for a long time and now people and the Academy are starting to notice him. Even Nolan wants him. People should listen to me more often. ;)

Alex

So you thought he was great in EdTV? Lol

For me Mcconaughey got good when his face became far less glossy handsome and much more drawn and cynically aged. He almost looks weathered now, which really works for him. He's one of those deeply expressive actors who doesn't have to talk; unlike Daniel Day Lewis for example.

I couldn't have thought that since I haven't seen it. However, if it's a recent flick, if it's made during the 'Matthew reborn' era, then changes are he was pretty good in it.

That movie was a career killer.

I've never seen Amistad or A Time to Kill. What was wrong with him being in the former?

You're a Spielberg fanboy but you've never seen Amistad?!

Alex - who has never seen War Horse or Lincoln.

The first movie where Matthew showed promise was Lincoln Lawyer, a small movie that only a few people have seen, but he was surprisingly good in it.

the-lincoln-lawyer-poster-211_zps27f506f

Why did Amistad kill his career? Because it flopped, or was he awful in it? I didn't know that movie was generally accepted as having that effect on him.

Alex I've also never seen Sugarland Express, Always and Lincoln.

Why did Amistad kill his career? Because it flopped, or was he awful in it? I didn't know that movie was generally accepted as having that effect on him.

Alex I've also never seen Sugarland Express, Always and Lincoln.

It was supposed to skyrocket his career. However, the movie failed and took everyone involved into the deep. Matthew had to fall back to playing dumb studs. Am I right, Steef?

Alex

Why did Amistad kill his career? Because it flopped, or was he awful in it?

It was a leading man part in a big Spielberg drama and he was flat in it. Out acted by pretty much the rest of the cast, who had better material to work with I guess.

It's not that he's awful, he just...doesn't deliver.

He was not ready and was still pretty much a caterpillar.... Now that Matthew is reborn into a butterfly, will he ever work with Spielberg again?

It was supposed to skyrocket his career. However, the movie failed and took everyone involved to the deep. Matthew had to fall back to playing dumb studs. Am I right, Steef?

Yep. with Amistad people were talking about Djimon Hounsou, who did turn in an effective performance, and Anthony Hopkins stealing a scene. But not poor Matthew.

Was Hopkins praised for his role in Amistad? I'm a Hopkins fan but wasn't impressed with it. Too much make up, beards and American accents, I guess.

I'll bet Lincoln is the better movie! But who has seen it?! Who's watching the latest Spielbergs?

And how come Nolan hasn't made his own TV show yet (like Darabont, Spielberg, Lynch, Scorsese)? Does he hate TV? Crocs?

From Nolan TV Productions:

Robin: True Beginnings

I....saw Tintin.

I saw that too (about two weeks ago) but only because it was free on TV. Not my cup of tea.

Alex

The first movie where Matthew showed promise was Lincoln Lawyer, a small movie that only a few people have seen, but he was surprisingly good in it.

People seem to always overlook Two for the Money, honestly. An underrated movie, and a good performance by MM.

War Horse wasn't very good but it still worth watching for the couple of gem moments tucked away in there. And it's absolutely stunning to look at.

It's pretty much a 1940's film. Completely out of touch with modern cinema. Williams scores it as such. And one of Janusz Kaminski's better works. Especially that there are only one or two CG shots in there.

Karol

War Horse wasn't very good but it still worth watching for the couple of gem moments tucked away in there. And it's absolutely stunning to look at.

^^ Yup. The score is amazing, the film is just kinda there. But the cinematography and few standout moments make it worth it. Not a movie you'll need to see again, but nice to see once. Makes you appreciate the score CD even more once you see it.

I pretty much agree with everyone's assessment of the film. It was a nice watch (I saw it at an advanced screening), but afterwards you realize there wasn't much there that would make you need to see it again. I wouldn't be against seeing it again if it was on, but I wouldn't have any strong desire or urge to do so.

The score is one of Johnny's best of his post-2000 era output. I thought the score worked well in the movie too.

I actually found the to score to be completely inappropriate in places. One of John's much less accomplished works.

Actually, I agree with you! I said so when I posted my first review when the film came out.

I thought the music was too loud and over the top in the early scenes in Dartmoor, in the film.

On CD, all that music is wonderful, and a real treat to listen to. But it wasn't appropriate for the film.

It might violate the prejudices you and Lee have about me. But this is exactly the sort of show I like. Takes it's time setting up it's characters and premise. Good looking too, in a run down Southern US kinda way.

Hook, line and sinker ;)

Nope, The Wire is not available on Blu-ray. Not sure if it ever will be. It's in 4:3 as well. Scary, isn't it?

The Wire was shot on film, but neither HBO nor David Simon are that interested in remastered it for HD. Read this:

"And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.
Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

I only drink Earl Grey. With some honey. Really nice.

Karol

Honey in Earl Grey? Madman.

Why? You need to try it sometime. :)

Karol

The Wire was shot on film, but neither HBO nor David Simon are that interested in remastered it for HD. Read this:

"And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.
Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

I can totally understand the creative decision to stay with 4:3. But that really doesnt have anything to do with not offering it in High Def.

It wouldn't change a lot in terms of experience, to be honest. It's not the kind of glamorous show that requires facelift.

Karol