Michael Jackson's Classical Compositions

BLUMENKOHL

He often times referenced the influence of classical music and composers on him, Tschaikovsky in particular, and many around him claim he had a great deal of interest in classical music...

So it turns out he was working on some orchestral and instrumental works of his own before he died...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jul/0...cal-music-album

I'm certainly curious what it would sound like. Oh well...maybe the bits and pieces he wrote will surface some day. Considering that pop music gave us Danny Elfman and James Newton Howard, there's certainly a great deal of potential here.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if we use an equation that compares what Elfman used to write to what he now writes...and what JNH used to write in pop world and now writes...

Yes Jackson would be the next Williams.

;)

It's odd because while most pop music songs have interchangeable melodies, a lot of Michael Jackson have almost "theme like" melodies that can't be mistaken for any other songs

maybe he would have been good at scoring movies

Indeed, the songs he wrote demonstrated a great gift for melody, and even the songs written by others he chose to take up showed a genuine concept of quality control. A great deal of songs out there are nothing more than just cookie-cutter chord progressions you hear over and over again. And that's what set Jackson's music apart from the rest.

If they actually do something with the classical material he DID write...which I'm sure they will at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually...well..good!

Considering Jackson composed some of his songs using just two chords, I doubt his classical stuff would have been very interesting, but we'll never know for sure.

Considering Jackson composed some of his songs using just two chords

That's probably the secret of his success. His refrains sound like simple but strong slogans that the whole mob can yell along to.

Beat it! Beat it!

Dirty Diana! Dirty Diana!

Alex

Considering Jackson composed some of his songs using just two chords

That's probably the secret of his success. His refrains sound like simple but strong slogans that the whole mob can yell along to.

Alex

The same goes for Zimmer's Batman scores... ;)

but how can we know for sure how much of the stuff michael composed himself when credited so? i heard he composed very little of the material which became his biggest hits.

Lately when they showed that raw footage on the news of his last rehearsal a day or so before he died, I noticed that part of the music playing in parts of it had "The Great Gate of Kiev" by Mussorgsky interwoven into it.

Michael Jackson might have been the next John Williams?

He came of up with "sections" in his head which he then hummed these melodies to a composer so they could figure out the chords and the composer could do the arrangements.

but how can we know for sure how much of the stuff michael composed himself when credited so? i heard he composed very little of the material which became his biggest hits.

He composed Beat It, but not Thriller. Saw that on Wikipedia cuz I was wondering.

Michael Jackson might have been the next John Williams?

He came of up with "sections" in his head which he then hummed these melodies to a composer so they could figure out the chords and the composer could do the arrangements.

I guess the same thing as with Charles Chaplin. Basically that's enough to get a composed by credit, so it is often very misleading in terms of how much of the music was written by the "composer". But I remember listening to the demo version of Billie Jean created by Michael at his home studio and it was surprisingly very close to the final product. The lyrics though were completely different.

Actually, it's even enough to get your work performed in major concert halls without any mention of the "arranger". I don't actually know any of the Chaplin scores yet, but from what I've read, Raksin was mostly responsible for the final result. But the local Konzerthaus keeps performing a score by Charles Chaplin once each year, and never once have I seen the name Raksin anywhere on the announcements.

As far as I know, the only hits he "composed" are Wanna Be Starting Something and Don't Stop Till You Get Enough. Those are the "2-chord" songs I was referring to. He is credited with "writing" Billy Jean, Beat It, etc but I believe he just wrote the lyrics while Quincy Jones composed the music. Rod Temperton composed Thriller, Rock With You, and Off The Wall. Jones composed a lot of the others.

I actually like Don't Stop Till You Get Enough despite it only having two chords. Love the 70s disco strings. ;)

Well, for Beat It he claimed to come up with the catchy bassline in some documentary that was on last night. Obviously, he could come up with some very good hooks and melodies, and wrote some very good songs, but he's more a singer and a dancer than a composer.

Well, for Beat It he claimed to come up with the catchy bassline in some documentary that was on last night. Obviously, he could come up with some very good hooks and melodies, and wrote some very good songs, but he's more a singer and a dancer than a composer.

Ah okay, yeah something should be said about the ability to write a good hook. There is a certain kind of talent needed to be successful at it. MJ and his writers were very good at it.

It could have gone either way, I've never been too fond of Paul McCartney's orchetral works and I'm probably the biggest McCartney fan.