LOTR Complete Recordings PFD files!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to take time one of these days to listen to the three sets again. It has been a while since I have done that. I for some reason like to listen to them in their entirety when I am listening or I feel I have done a great disservice to the music. :)

Finding 3 hours or 4 hours to do it is the problem of course even though it is a worthy investment of time for such a great experience.

And the book is finally coming out in April (fingers crossed)! So there will be some new lotR music and some new LotR music analysis coming this year. ;)

I listened to all three scores with the annotated scores this christmas, something i've been wanting to do for some time...but never had the time.

It was interesting and educational.

I was dissapointed that the chorus text in the pdfs is the whole text, not the actual chanted words. So it is very difficult to try to hear the words. The words also are cut to fit the music (one word could be cut to the next chanted line, for example) and not the other way arround, i mean the music was not composed to the texts, but the latter are a little shoehorned to the music.

I would have written the whole texts (very nice thing to have) once and then the actual bits noting in which track it is used (with track times too).

Not that i planned to sing-a-long or something... ;) but i wanted to hear how the words sounded. As it is, i can barely decypher 50% of the words written.

Where did you find the April date? I can't see anything on Doug's blog.

Well I think Mr. Adams mentioned that they were eyeing April so the release could conincide with the TTT Live performance in London. But as we know these plans can still change, the project seems to be in flux all the time.

And Manuel, if you are interested in the exact choral lyrics I suggest to you this excellent site:A Magpie's Nest. There is a good amount of work done on the actual sung lyrics on Marilynn's site and it contains tons of other interesting LotR music related material.

Shore uses the lyrics quite freely and conforms them to the composition so there might be words missing or he might just use a few words from a poem or stanza but naturally knowing the whole poem enhances the message of the sung words. I do like to know the exact words sung but I also appreciate them as representative of the whole poem or lyrics written, bringing their idea into the music even if not word for word.

Am I the only person who combined The Prophecy and Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All?

How did you do that? I mean how do you put them together editorially in a satisfying way?

Am I the only person who combined The Prophecy and Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All?

How did you do that? I mean how do you put them together editorially in a satisfying way?

I love 'The Prophecy'. Even though it wasn't used in the film, that track kind of sums up LOTR musically for me. It's just so tonally perfect.

I do love both the Prophecy which indeed captures the feel of Lord of the Rings perfectly and also the film Prologue which is such a great overture while at the same time completely in tune with the action on screen. Shore must like the Prophecy as well as he chose to open the Lord of the Rings Symphony with it and add some sections of Prologue material to it. ;)

I do love both the Prophecy which indeed captures the feel of Lord of the Rings perfectly and also the film Prologue which is such a great overture while at the same time completely in tune with the action on screen. Shore must like the Prophecy as well as he chose to open the Lord of the Rings Symphony with it and add some sections of Prologue material to it. ;)

There is more to this story. :)

Also, the book is still (as far as I know) on schedule for April.

Where did you find the April date? I can't see anything on Doug's blog.

Well I think Mr. Adams mentioned that they were eyeing April so the release could conincide with the TTT Live performance in London. But as we know these plans can still change, the project seems to be in flux all the time.

And Manuel, if you are interested in the exact choral lyrics I suggest to you this excellent site:A Magpie's Nest. There is a good amount of work done on the actual sung lyrics on Marilynn's site and it contains tons of other interesting LotR music related material.

Shore uses the lyrics quite freely and conforms them to the composition so there might be words missing or he might just use a few words from a poem or stanza but naturally knowing the whole poem enhances the message of the sung words. I do like to know the exact words sung but I also appreciate them as representative of the whole poem or lyrics written, bringing their idea into the music even if not word for word.

Many thanks Mirko.

All that i had read about LOTR music before, made me thought that the lyrics made 'sense' within the music and film. That's why i was a little shocked. I thought great that Shore had put lyrics that fit the music, had a meaning and matched the film. It a shame it's not exactly like that (some verses are full at least :blink: )

It would be great if the upcoming book had the chorus lyrics as a bonus... but i suppose it would be redundant :/

Steef...there are several Tolkien texts used in the lyrics too...some adapted by Boyens and Walsh, others fully original.

Many thanks Mirko.

All that i had read about LOTR music before, made me thought that the lyrics made 'sense' within the music and film. That's why i was a little shocked. I thought great that Shore had put lyrics that fit the music, had a meaning and matched the film. It a shame it's not exactly like that (some verses are full at least :blink: )

It would be great if the upcoming book had the chorus lyrics as a bonus... but i suppose it would be redundant :/

It is Mikko and don't mention it. :angry:

The lyrics Shore uses are relevant to the scenes in which they are used, always somehow adding a subtext or inserting the poetry or even pieces of dialogue into the scenes via the music. For example the Seduction of the Ring lyrics are directly taken from the book, they are Boromir's own words from the Council of Elrond where he says:'The Men of Gondor are valiant, and they will never submit; but they may be beaten down. Valour needs first strength, and then a weapon. Let the Ring be your weapon, if it has such power as you say. Take it and go forth to victory!' from which the film makers coined the lyrics:

The strength, The weapon

The needs of the valiant

Be the Ring your weapon

The strength, The weapon

Go to victory!

This a great way of showing how the Seduction theme speaks to him personally, offering what he needs echoing his own thoughts and words but also that it has an universal appeal falsely offering to each person what they want for whatever purpose according to their stature and power and desire.

And interesting side note on the Seduction lyrics is that it first appears in the scene where Gandalf reads the account of Isildur in Minas Tirith and we see Isildur picking up the Ring (FotR CR Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe 7;15-7;48). Here it is scored with Shore trademark rising chords of Doom instead of the Seduction melody. Obviously emphasis was not on the theme here but the dramatic moment from the distant past. It is wonderful how Shore connects the scene none the less with the use of the lyrics to the whole idea of the Seduction of the Ring.

The lyrics make sense in most cases but it is quite natural that Shore could not use entire poems because of the restrictions of the film. As they are they provide a wonderful subtext with or without exact knowledge of the message sung.

And the book will contain the lyrics if not as sung word for word but in the same manner as the Annotated score.