How long does a film take to score?

Zach

Generally, how long does it usually take a film composer to score a movie? (and let's just say the movie is 2-2.5 hours long). Also, how long does John Williams himself take to score a movie? Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really depends on the film, but the average seems to be on the order of two months or so. Some composers get involved early on, but a lot of times, there isn't all that long between when the composer gets his rough cut of the film and the theatrical release. Williams says that on average, he has to write about two minutes of music each day to get it done.

I guess that it depends on the type of score. "Chinatown". and "The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing" (replacement scores, as I understand it) were both written in under 7 days. Some scores take up to 12 weeks. As J.W. composed music for "CE3K" before shooting even started, does this mean that he took 2 1/2 years to complete the score?

Jerry Goldsmith had 2 weeks to score Air Force One, so he brought Joel McNeely onboard to help.

I know Akira Ifukube mentioned several times about having 3-5 days to score some films. On Aliens Horner was literally composing at times from the scoring stage. I believe he also mentioned overworking on Krull.

I do know most composers feel like they need to get 2 minutes done a day to stay on schedule.

It ranges from 2 weeks to 2 years. Powell starts off right at the beginning on most of his animated films, like with Happy Feet and Horton Hears A Who. Zimmer scored The Curse Of The Black Pearl in 2 weeks. Djawadi did the same for Clash Of The Titans.

I don't think time is particularly relevant for the RCP guys given that they all band together as a team when a last-minute rescore arrives. A lot of composers had additional music credit on PotC. Get four extra guys on a film, and in two weeks you can have 2 hours of music at normal working pace.