The Official "Album Presentation vs Complete & Chronological Presentation" Thread

Thor

publicist,

But that's a sophism of Hobgoodian size at work here...you elevate album producing to an artform, when it often is dictated by bare necessities like release dates, sessions not yet recorded and what else goes with the frantic schedule of a movie release.

Sure, but none of those issues make it any less of an artform. Every artform has practical concerns surrounding it. Michelangelo had a deadline for his Cistine chapel painting too.

your whole act has become so dogmatic that it now seems that there just CANNOT be a certain piece of unreleased you like or want BECAUSE it was not part of the 'album vision'. And that seems a bit sad, to be honest.

I've never said anything like that. Of course, there might be a cue I like in a film (when I watch said film) that is not on the album, but if the album works as it is, I have no desire to have it inserted there. Perhaps it wouldn't even fit in, no matter how nice it was? The crucial thing is that the ALBUM works, not necessarily the individual track.

I hear you, but i'm afraid this all is a bit too much of an academic exercise for me whereas i'm just a bit more pragmatic.

Two flaws i find in your dogma:

1. Time available: you spend as much, if not more, time writing about this stuff on messageboards as it would take to do the necessary steps to reduce a C&C presentation to your personal liking. This may not work for any 145-minute monster, but on the whole, it would work for a sizeable number of releases. This year, it would mean no new Williams and two Elfman releases to work on. :)

2. Passivity: you claim you as musical illiterate would have no competence whatsoever to fuddle around with music composed by an experienced composer (this may not be as relevant in today's composer line-up than it was 30 years ago); isn't a hobby a cerebral and bellicose experience where you become more and more of a scholar with every passing year you spend your time with it? It just doesn't compute why someone who has travelled many miles on that route should not be able to produce a listenable album modelled after his own preferences - with today's readily available editing software, it should be even more manageable to do so.

Mind you, i know that this discussion will lead to nothing, but it seems more than strange to read such views in today's techno environment - everyone can edit his or her own mp3-archive to their own likings, and this, for me, takes the hobby to a whole new level.

Wow, I thought this stuff could be found only on the FSM board :)

I guess Thor wants to spread his gospel here as well ;)

Not really, but I WILL defend myself when I'm attacked unprovoked.

Cool down brother, I was joking.

I think this had gone on long enough. The topic has been discussed pretty thoroughly, and it's starting to go around in circles.

So I'm locking the thread, and I don't want anybody to start another one.

Thor, if you start this discussion up again in another thread, you're getting a warning and a temporary ban that goes along with that. If you don't like it, don't post on our board. Thanks.