Let there be light!

crocodile

That would be "Jurassic Park", then, would it? ;)

Yes. First time I realized that films had music especially composed for them...the helicopter scene started it all.

Sorry for the big image :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 13 in 1993 when Jurassic Park came out. I was old enough to enjoy the 80s as a kid and watch movies like Raiders, ET, Star Wars, Superman, etc on TV repeatedly during my childhood. I was familiar with all the themes like everyone else, but it never went further then that. I wasn't really into ochestral music in general during this time.

I had this weird moment of separation with Jurassic Park during the journey to the island (and the cue, obviously, during that scene). I wasn't even watching the movie anymore, I was just listening to the music. I was spellbound. It was unbelievable. I owe a lot to Williams in getting my attention toward the orchestra, and opening me up to what it could do with music. Sitting in the theater, it was like the proverbial switch went on.

Tim

I had this weird moment of separation with Jurassic Park during the journey to the island (and the cue, obviously, during that scene). I wasn't even watching the movie anymore, I was just listening to the music. I was spellbound. It was unbelievable. I owe a lot to Williams in getting my attention toward the orchestra, and opening me up to what it could do with music. Sitting in the theater, it was like the proverbial switch went on.

That was exactly how it was for me :thumbup:

It was one of those rarest of events where the music transcends the film, which, when one considers the particular (mind-blowing) imagery on screen in that instance, is a pretty freakin' spectacular achievement on Williams' part.

He wasn't gonna play second fiddle to dinosaurs!

Y'know, it's funny...my first experience with "Journey to the Island" was quite different. I visited Universal Studios before I saw the film, and they were playing the island fanfare on an infinite loop in the background. For various reasons, we ended up spending a lot of time in that area, not doing much, so we heard it over and over and over and over again. It got VERY old, and we were all tired of it. But as I thought about it the weeks and months that followed, I realized it was a great piece, and I wanted to hear it again. I realized it was from Jurassic Park, so I finally saw the film, and it just captivated me. Bought the OST, and that was that. It's still one of my favorite scores, with "Journey to the Island" ranking up with "Adventures on Earth" in my book.