What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

In some PS3 exclusives the PS3 has great graphics. Like Ni No Kuni looks better than any xbox360 games I played

But for multiplatform games, the xbox usually looks better

I used to think the Xbox wasn't capable of Uncharted 2 or Killzone 3 style graphical fidelity, but then I played through the Halo 4 campaign. It's amazing what computer engineers can squeeze out of ageing hardware when they have absolutely no other options and a blank cheque. The same will happen in the next generation too - the initial salvo of launch titles are bound to be lookers, but they'll look positively rubbish compared to the second and third wave of titles that happen in the hardwares lifetimes.

Absolutely! That's been happening forever. Just look at Mario 1 compared to Mario 3. Or Mario World 1 compared to Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island!

I find it too small and the triggers awkward. I prefer the xbox360 controller

That's one reason I picked a tough game like Dark Souls on the xbox360

Up to now, Ni No Kuni is a very "by the book" JRPG structurally, almost to a fault. It must have every trademark of the genre incorporated into it (Tales of..., Final Fantasy...etc..). It's like I automatically know what to do now. So beware if you hate that style of game

But it's more beautifully presented than any I've played yet.

Absolutely! That's been happening forever. Just look at Mario 1 compared to Mario 3. Or Mario World 1 compared to Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island!

The C64 was the king of that. Only 8 sprites at once? They displayed dozens at the same time. Sprite size limited to 24x21 pixels? They made them fullscreen. Only a single colour for the frame around the image? They put bouncing gradient bars there. Only 3 simultaneous sounds from the audio chip? They played 4. Etc.

I don't mind the dualshock, it's nice and dainty and has the superior d-pad, but for fps it pales next to the Xbox pad.

I can't use the Xbox pad. After 5 minutes, my thumb feels like it's broken.

The Xbox controller doesn't make geometrical sense. Our hands are symmetrical, so should the controller. I never understood why one joystick was higher than the other. Also the fact that Microsoft and Nintendo change or refine their controllers with each generation is testament to how perfect the DualShock is. It's been virtually the same for 15+ years.

Re: the thumb thing. The raised left thumb is perfect for ergonomic control in fps. It's the reason the d-pad was relegated to support functions only - where on play station it gets in the way. There's a reason the Army uses Xbox controllers for its drones...

When I'm playing fps on playstation with both my thumbs awkwardly twisted inwards I feel like I'm squatting in a mud hut somewhere eating a bowl of rice.

Re: the thumb thing. The raised left thumb is perfect for ergonomic control in fps. It's the reason the d-pad was relegated to support functions only - where on play station it gets in the way.

Never once did the d-pad on the PS3 controller get in the way for me. But there really seem to be two factions about this. My main problem with the Xbox controller (though I haven't touched one in years) isn't the placement of the analogue sticks, but the bulkiness of the whole thing.

Isn't the Xbox controller bigger because it was designed by Americans and all other major systems were designed by the Japanese?

The Xbox 1 controller was the massive beast, eventually shrunken down during its generation to the size we have now because of size complaints, the latest one of which feels absolutely ergonomically perfect unless one has really dainty hands.

The Xbox 360 controller has arguably become the most ideal controller for console gamers (and quite a few pc ones too) this generation. For example third party hardware developers pretty much gave up on Playstation designs years ago - now they all look like Xbox variations. I like both Sony and Xbox controllers tbh, but I understand the former has decided to replace their design for the next gen. Why could that be? I really hope MS don't do the same.

Yea, everyone in the emulating world who likes to emulate Wii, PS2, Xbox, and older games on their home computers all use the xbox360 controller to control them. Seems pretty universally loved

Another thing is the triggers, which feel dead right and precise on the Xbox but weirdly loose and wobbly on Playstation. Devs must notice this too because on the latter they tend to configure firing actions to the top right bumper instead of the right trigger, which always seemed odd to me. In fact I'd go as far as saying it can be quite jarring, especially when they stick...

The bumpers on Xbox on the other hand are used for grenades or radials, which is how it ought to be. Triggers are for firing!

I like both Sony and Xbox controllers tbh, but I understand the former has decided to replace their design for the next gen. Why could that be? I really hope MS don't do the same.

Didn't Jay post something recently that said they were keeping it? Or am I thinking of an IGN article? Either way, the DualShock will always be an option for Sony gamers. I don't think they'll ever fully replace it. Sort of how the Wii U has a gamepad as well as the tablet controller.

I'm thinking they might redesign the Move, but then that would make all accessories obsolete and that'd piss off quite a few.

As for the L2 and R2 buttons, they aren't really triggers. Some games load up with aiming and firing automatically mapped to them, but not a lot. A lot of shooters take advantage of the pressure sensitivity for grenade throwing and using cover.

DualShock is still an iconic design and should stay, but with some slight adjustments to stick placement and better quality build design at the trigger placements. For me though top priority would be to widen the distance between the two thumbsticks so that I don't have that weird inwards twist feeling in my hands anymore. That would REALLY help in regards to increased, natural accuracy.

Mmm, all this talk makes me feel like booting up Killzone 3 multiplayer...

The Xbox 1 controller was the massive beast, eventually shrunken down during its generation to the size we have now because of size complaints, the latest one of which feels absolutely ergonomically perfect unless one has really dainty hands.

Oh ok. I probably never held a 360 controller in my hands.

I finally played Ni No Kuni. I'm not well versed in JRPGs at all, but I really like this one. It's like a fully realized open world version of Pokemon, with the story from a Studio Ghibli film (they helped design and develop after all). Great visuals, great score from Hisaishi, and good fun. The dialogue boxes are a bit annoying as in a lot of the encounters and situations are overly explained in minute detail. The protagonist is a child but the game makes the player feel like one too.

You get a bunch of spells later on to manipulate objects in different ways and puzzles should get a lot more complex in the last half of the game . I'm sure Drippy will stop explaining everything at a certain point. Also boss battles are getting challenging, I got the Game Over screen a few times. Sometimes Bosses happen in the middle of a conversation and if you didn't save your game you lose 10% of your cash if you lose

I'm not even that far into the story after 25 hours. There's a bunch of sidequests to do and monsters to tame. Doing the sidequests is the only way to get perks

Final Fantasy 13-2 also had similar monster taming to include them in your party.

I got the game over screen twice in the sewers, and that's where I stopped playing. I think I only did 2-3 hours. They really pack those bastards in there. I clear em out, turn a corner to open a chest and come back they're already back.

yes, they re-spawn quickly but once you get stronger all weaker monsters run away from you, so going back to previous areas isn't a chore. You can choose what monsters to fight in case you want to tame something specific

Don't you just hate it when a game builds up to a definite ending, completely gives you the impression you're on the final stretch, victory is imminent... only to suddenly reveal a whole other map's worth of new objectives still left to play. It's the gaming equivalent of a Peter Jackson movie.

Bioshock 2 just wont fucking end.

It's been a good game, but I was ready for it to be over after the last mission I completed. The narrative and pacing greatly implied it. But now it feels like I've unexpectedly ventured into the extended edition.

Games need really need to learn to adhere to accepted movie rules and learn all about the importance of storytelling vs. gameplay.

I don't ever recall BioShock 2 stretching on too long. The climax is disappointing, but it never felt too long.

I just beat Dead Space 2 in time for 3, which comes out next week. Now that's a game that goes on too long. Started it two years ago, finished it tonight :P I think my final play time was a little over 9 hours. The end was brutal, and I was on normal. I don't understand how people beat these games on Hardcore, in which there's barely any health and ammo, when you die you restart at your last save, and you are only allowed three saves.

This one also had a sort of false ending. I mean, even the credits started to roll, and I thought it was a bold way to send off the game, but then you're back it in for one last go and it really ends on a stupid rehash of the first game. Should have kept that ending and then had the explosive finale be the start of 3.

After watching TDKR, I really have a hankering to get back into Arkham City. And since I didn't beat Arkham Asylum, I think I need to run through that one again. Too bad I don't know where my save game is to just jump to the last Titan battle before Joker so I don't have to replay it all.

Slightly off topic, the best fake ending in a video game I have played, has to be Donkey Kong Country's ending.

Fake endings are actually an interesting phenomenon in video games, now that I think about it. It seems like every game has one. Is it because the ultimate goal of each developer is to jumpstart their own IP franchise? Here's a half-assed ending, credits roll, here's a toss in that'll lead to the eventual sequel, etc.

There are very few games that I can think of that have a definite end. Infamous 2 is one, and I love it for it. Such great writing and execution in that game. Alas, being the popular Sony IP that it is, a 3 is probably inevitable. Resistance 3 is another good one. Insomniac really stepped it up to close out that franchise beautifully.

Killzone is a franchise that should have ended by now. 3 had one of the worst endings to any game I've played.

When I played Witcher 2, I was in the third and final area and still waiting for the "world map" to open up so I could travel to a bunch of places

That never happened and the game ended

Two weeks ago Sony said they wouldn't announce the Playstation 4 until after Microsoft unveils the xbox3. Now they've done a 180 and they are announcing the Playstaiton 4 on February 20th.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/01/31/sony-playstation-4-confirmation/

The Wii U is not next gen, it caught up to where we were 7 years ago.

I saw Sony post that video on Facebook under the nomer "See the future." PS4 was the first thing to pop into my mind but it could be anything really. I was expecting an announcement at E3.

By who? According to Nintendo, it's isn't. Hardware-wise, it's not even in the same universe as the next Sony and MS machines. As Koray said, the Wii U's innards are very much of the current gen. In fact it's not even as capable as the other two systems.

3rd (8-bit) generation: NES, Sega Master System

4th (16-bit) generation: SNES, Sega Genesis, Turbographix 16 (Gameboy)

5th (64-bit) generation: Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation (Gameboy Color)

6th generation: Nintento Gamecube, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2, X-Box (Gameboy Advance)

7th generation: Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, X-Box 360 (Nintendo DS, Sony PSP)

8th generation: Nintendo Wii U, "Playstation 4", "X-Box 3" (Nintendo 3DS, Sony PSP Vita)

I don't make the rules I'm just reporting things

"Generations" don't go by computer power, they go by years of release

The controller is awesome!

And its just an option, software developers can make games for the normal Wii controllers / nunchucks or the great Classic Controller

Wii_U_Pro_Controller.jpg