What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I think I have something like 70 PS3 games. I don't sell unless I know I'll never play it again/have done everything, trophies, etc.

That's why I kept them so long, but it was time to let go.

Traded a few more for a used copy of Mass Effect 3 today

Far Cry 3 on pc is shaping up nicely after an hour or so in. Vast game world. Would hate to play this on one of consoles at this stage. 30fps with this much fauna and and stunning paradise just wouldn't cut it anymore I'm afraid. DirectX 11 and 60fps say hi.

/snob

I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY edition with all the DLC.

That would be wise for me since I have a ton of other games to play before I get to it

Believe it or not; Far Cry 3 is a game for you, if you like Borderlands. Its formula is almost identical. Large open world, side quests, loot, levelling tree etc etc.

I'm quite surprised by how similar it is.

So I started playing Dishonored last night, did about 5 hours cause I wanted to complete the first mission before I went to bed. I was going to attempt to beat the game without being seen or killing anyone. Loved the idea that it was possible, and doing so constituted like half of the trophies for the game, so I would play it straight afterwards.

After figuring out how the enemies lines of sight work through multiple failed attempts to break out of the prison, I finally managed to escape. But then I learned that even though I didn't kill anyone, one of my unconscious bodies was noticed despite not fully alerting anyone. So I already failed that part. So I thought, eh I'll just go on without killing anyone. Smart fucking decision cause the first real mission is a pain in the ass to do stealthily! I spent 4 hours in that part of the city. There's a trophy for beating the game only using Blink, so I haven't bought any other supernatural powers. The detection of this BioShock plasmid is horrid. When I peak around a corner and see a dude walking my way, in my slight panic and trying to blink to a venting tube up high, I indadvertedly jumped up but not climbing over the ledge, and then I'd just fall flat in the open and alert everyone. Trying to stick to the rooftops would result in fallen deaths, so I abandoned that approach. Good thing I decided to just not kill anyone, so in these 4 hours I was getting spotted, running and hiding, then coming back and trying to knock out these fuckers. After all was said and done, I finally reached my target, subdued him and branded his face and got the fuck out of that hell hole, being alerted I don't know how many damn times. Final mission briefing, I killed 5 people. EXCUSE ME?! Fuck this game.

Do yourself out of the MANY stealth assassin goodies up for grabs for the sake of a fucking trophy?

Jeeeeez, lord give me strength!

That game would have been turd if I'd only ever used Blink.

Such is the life of a trophy whore. Only reason I prestiged in Black Ops II ;) Then again they actually did away with a lot of the crap that I hated about prestige so all's well there.

I'm just going to start fresh. Delete that save and go from the beginning the way I would normally play and then worry about the stealth stuff later. But the way I reasoned it was that Dishonored would be my nonlethal undetected assassin game, and Assassin's Creed III would be my all out kill the motherfuckers assassin game :P

The only achievement I actively went for during my one and only play through was the one which ensures the good, or 'light' ending. Basically you're not supposed to kill too many people, and so I didn't. But if I had to for purposes of flow or difficulty, I slaughtered them.

Turns out the game is actually quite forgiving with thr amount of bodies you're allowed to rack up. I killed loads by the end and still got the cheevo. But by and large I still remained hidden and harmless from mission to mission, making the overall experience feel like an organic one.

Very good game.

I have never cared about trophies/achievements

My only goal is to complete a game once up to the End Credits, but try to also do all the sidequests/extra contents (unless your blocked out of it by the story choices) . I also never re-play a game (with the exception of Dark Souls I did NG+)

I would never stand up and declare that I never re-play a game, but it often works out that way. Not counting simulation or strategy games like Diablo, Starcraft, Civilization, or SimThis'n'that, that offer much shorter play campaigns than "story-driven" action or RPG games, I rarely end up playing through games a second time.

I made two characters for KOTOR 1 but still never beat it - one character got to Malak and I quit while the other made it to Kashyyk and I never returned. I made one character for KOTOR 2 and had to use cheat codes to beat Kreia; I plan to re-install this with the KOTOR 2 Restored Content Mod and start it over.

I started Arkham Asylum twice, never finished. Started City but I really want to go back and replay Asylum properly.

I have made about two characters on Morrowind, never finished it, and I plan to start again using the graphical overhaul mod. Only ever made one character in Oblivion, never finished. Still somewhere in Skyrim, below level 30, on my first character. I quit my first Fallout3 playthrough when the Enclave appeared on my first character, and my FNV woes are well documented here. I haven't returned to Deus Ex: Human Revolutions for months...

...But I did play through the first game about three times, including once on Realistic for one my most favorite game experiences ever. I never beat Half-Life 1 fairly, but hope to using the Black Mesa add-on. Half-Life 2 was a brilliant journey, and I'm somewhere on my second playthrough getting pursued by the helicopter on speedboat, and I need to restore a much earlier savegame to squeeze out more health. I beat Episode One and never returned, and I stopped playing Episode Two when it turned into a crazy turret defense.

I look at video games the way others look at books. I can start them and set them down for a time if I get bored or find something else to do -- school, music sorting, relationship, life beyond the keyboard, etc. -- and they'll always be there for me when I return. Or I can be in the middle of many of them at once. Sure, I'll have to brush up on the controls and "relearn" how to play, but they're not going anywhere. That attitude also comes with the knowledge that I can't resell them after I beat them, so my need to beat it in a month or two vanishes completely.

I try to do everything in a game, which unfortunately includes the trophies. It's my OCD to reach 100%, even if I know there will be no way I'll do it all, I still try. The trophies are always in the back of my mind. It doesn't bog down my enjoyment of them at all though. It's quite a satisfying experience to accomplish it, particularly on the PAIN IN THE ASS World At War platinum. My proudest one, took the course of a year to finally do it. I didn't even realize it was rare to have the platinum for that, but apparently not many people have done it.

And I don't sell my games unless everything is done because I always have that mentality that I'll go back and eventually finish it all, which pretty much never happens. I'm still pissed that I'm one trophy away in Resistance 2. Kill 10,000 enemies in online multiplayer. One day!

The only campaigns I ever replay are the Halo ones, mainly because each play through, while always action packed; can be very different to the last, such is its emergent style. And then you have the Legendary difficulty setting which transformers the AI to the point that it can sometimes feel as if the enemy are being controlled by other players. The Solo Legendary achievement has become a sort of badge of honour in that game, such is its challenge.

Actually, I believe I did replay Metal Gear Solid on the PSONE a few times, due to its brilliance. And maybe Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which is crazy when one considers how generic and by-the-numbers the single player campaigns in that series have become.

It's usually the games that have a cinematic story arc that I replay for pleasure. Other games I replay for trophies, sometimes it's both. I've played all the Uncharted games about 4 times each. Metal Gear Solid a few times. Red Dead Revolver probably 10-15+. I had that game down to a science, could knock it out in 2 hours flat.

The pinnacle of the COD series for me is still All Ghillied Up.

The pinnacle of the COD series for me is still All Ghillied Up.

Without a doubt. That mission was a revelation, back then. Oh and you've just reminded me that I replayed most of Uncharted 2.

I have made about two characters on Morrowind, never finished it, and I plan to start again using the graphical overhaul mod. Only ever made one character in Oblivion, never finished. Still somewhere in Skyrim, below level 30, on my first character.

I never finished Morrowind or Oblivion, but I finished Skyrim

Oblivion had a MAJOR flaw for a RPG in that the monsters level up with you, making everything you do to level your character useless . Normally you'd want to stumble into areas where monsters kick your ass, so you can go back later when you have proper level and gear. If the monsters are always the same level you are it sucks all the tension out of exploration (I think you could still screw up Oblivion if you put all your points in non combat skills though). But still, most (if not all) western RPG's are too easy in the last 1/3 of the game regardless.

JRPG's are more ruthless, in that if you didn't level up your character/party properly you may never beat some bosses (games like The Last Remnant, which may have been even more difficult than Demon's Souls for me)

I've become convinced that great video games cannot be made into great movies. I also think it shouldn't have to be that way. The Metal Gear saga cannot be boiled down to a 2-hour flick, neither can Uncharted, or Mass Effect, or BioShock, or whatever the hell it is they're trying to make these days. Oh yeah, isn't Michael Fassbender in the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie? That'll be awful.

ok so finally I'm playing Atelier Totori (PS3)

Fun RPG with tons of "systems" to figure out and lots to explore. BUT partly ruined by time limits on all sidequests and main story. The game ends no matter what after a certain amount of time , which is a pretty sucky way to make a game with tons of fun things to do.

Finally finished The Unfinished Swan.

Bought it back in October and played the first chapter but never got back to it. Well, I cleared it up last night and wow, what a wonderful and touching story. I really hope more games like these are made more frequently. There's even a nice little tip of the hat to Journey if you're astute enough. I'd much more gladly hand over $15 for a couple hours of breathtaking art direction and design than for some rehashed maps for Call Of Duty.

Yep, the game in Atelier Totori (and I assume all the other titles of the series) is timed and ends no matter what after 5 years of in game time (which is not that much), so you can actually fail the main quest if your slightly slow.

I did finish it but there's tons of areas on the map I never visited and optional bosses I didn't kill by lack of available game time. I know they want to force you in to a NG+ but I'm really disappointed they made it this way.

I don't want to play it twice so I'll move on to the sequel Atelier Meruru

Edit :Ok now I get it, after you finish it once you have to load a save game at the halfway point in the game (with all the boring fetch things done already), finish the main story as quickly as possible (now that you've done it once it's super quick), THEN do all the extra stuff with the remaining time

• 3 weeks later...

I only managed to pick my jaw up off the floor long enough to post this, but this looks like the kind of Jurassic Park game that fans of first-person-shooter action games, like me, have been clamoring for, as opposed to TellTale's QTE-heavy game interactive movie. Especially since I am very fond of the 1993 classic Ocean PC game, even its first-person segment. Who cares if it's built on Source instead of a newer Unreal or Cry engine, it looks fantastic.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/02/jurassic-life-mod-trailer-battles-with-clever-girls/

Out of curiosity, how many games do you guys play in a year?

I've recently gotten back into video game playing recently after really not playing many for the past 10 years or so, and I'm really enjoying it. I got myself a Nintendo 3DS for Christmas and its just awesome!

Anyway, I was recently making a list of all the games I want to play and I found it to be almost 70 games long!

Final Fantasy 1-6 (1,2,5,6 Advance ports, 3,4 DS Remakes)

Chrono Trigger

Sword of Mana, Secret of Mana

All 15 Zeldas

Metroid 0, 2, Super, Fusion, Prime1-3, Prime Hunters, Other M

Mario 1-3, World, World 2, Yoshi's Island DS, 64 D4, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, 3D Land, New SMB 1, Wii, 2

Mario VS DK 1-5

Resident Evil 0-3, CV, 4 (I don't have a system that can play 5-6)

Mario Kart 3-7

Yikes!!

Yea, one thing I am doing is forcing myself to play the games all the way through to the end, unless I REALLY hate it. Hopefully that won't happen.

So far for 2013 I have 4 games pre-ordered, and at least 2 more that I want but will probably wait to drop first. The former being Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch, BioShock Infinite, God Of War: Ascension, and The Last Of Us. The latter being Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3.

That's just Q1 (mostly). On average I'm probably somewhere around the same number as Lee. 20 sounds about right.

I play about 2-4 longer games per year (without casual and party stuff). Every few years I replay on or the other old favorite (usually a Zelda). I currently have 5 or 6 games I started on my "to finish" backlog, ranging from "bought a month ago" to "have it for 6 or 7 years". I'm currently getting into Metroid Prime 2 again, bought that one two years ago, after I (almost) finished the first one, but never really started investing significant time into it, life got in the way...

Finally finished Skyrim, beating just about every quest (I didn't finish repetitive radiant quests, just the first one given).

I still can't believe this beat out Deus Ex: Human Revolution for so many Game of the Year awards in 2011. I guess bigger is better? Quantity over quality...etc. etc.

[Edit] For those curious, clocked in 218 hours, over the course a little over a year. Basically playing one or two quests a day.