What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

So they have no launch title that really shows off the graphical capabilities of their new system? That's pretty dumb.

It's the launch period. Compare the first PS3 game to the last and look at the insane jump in quality using the same hardware. Killzone looks great, but from what little I've seen it's as good as the best PS3 games.

This generation was never going to be wholly focused on a graphical jump. That will always come with time. I'm more interested in being able to do more things at one time.

yes, but that's exactly why you can wait to get a PS4 until maybe the first hardware revision and they have the software fully debugged

Plenty of games left coming out on the Ps3

Knack is supposed to be shit and the Ghosts campaign not much better according to the reviews. Koray mustn't mind vast amounts of hand-holding from one set-piece to the next I suppose like a great deal of the broader call of Duty fans out there. Plus the designers know they love to press Square to bark and all that, lol. The Killzone campaign looks mildly interesting but I'll probably ignore it for weeks and dive straight into multiplayer which looks like it's could just be the Halo replacement I'm looking for, ahead of Destiny.

Lee - knee deep in Battlefield 4 on PC. Absolutely incredible online and hardcore as fuck. Just hoping the PS4 version's server issues are sorted out for European launch.

Another visually disappointing title is Black Flag. I was expecting a noticeable increase in fidelity but it's really not that much different on the eyes to the previous games. That the PS4 version is still locked to 30fps is downright shameful.

By the time the second and third waves of titles come out all gamers should be fully expecting 60fps 1080p. Some of us already were.

Knack is supposed to be shit and the Ghosts campaign not much better according to the reviews. Koray mustn't mind vast amounts of hand-holding from one set-piece to the next I suppose like a great deal of the broader call of Duty fans out there. Plus the designers know they love to press Square to bark and all that, lol. The Killzone campaign looks mildly interesting but I'll probably ignore it for weeks and dive straight into multiplayer which looks like it's could just be the Halo replacement I'm looking for, ahead of Destiny.

Lee - knee deep in Battlefield 4 on PC. Absolutely incredible online and hardcore as fuck. Just hoping the PS4 version's server issues are sorted out for European launch.

I don't mind set pieces and hand holding if that's what I expect from my FPSs. It's a collective experience. The story is actually told fairly well without too many of the standard blockbuster cliches. Stephen fucking Gaghan. I also said it was the best campaign in the series since Modern Warfare, not that it was some great revelation of gaming. I enjoyed its Thunderball underwater sequence and Moonraker space sequence.

Set-pieces can be thrilling when carefully crafted to be part of the narrative and inserted sparingly and when the pacing has a need for them, but Call of Duty is only interested in bombarding the senses with pyrotechnics Michael Bay style and for me that is a turn off. They stop feeling like highlights and instead feel like the latest thing to flash before me on the whack-a-mole ghost train ride. I find such design repellent. And I absolutely don't want hand-holding in any game I play, I don't want to participate in an interactive movie. It's trickery for the dumbed down audience, the Daves of the world.

I think Far Cry 3 has a good balance between "interactive cutscenes" and game play.

The main quests have a few quick time events but they're far in between and there's so much to do in between story events

I'm on the second island now and the side missions are getting a bit repetitive now though

yes, but that's exactly why you can wait to get a PS4 until maybe the first hardware revision and they have the software fully debugged

Plenty of games left coming out on the Ps3

And that's perfectly valid. I'm just saying that I didn't go in expecting more that what we got.

Set-pieces can be thrilling when carefully crafted to be part of the narrative and inserted sparingly and when the pacing has a need for them, but Call of Duty is only interested in bombarding the senses with pyrotechnics Michael Bay style and for me that is a turn off. They stop feeling like highlights and instead feel like the latest thing to flash before me on the whack-a-mole ghost train ride. I find such design repellent. And I absolutely don't want hand-holding in any game I play, I don't want to participate in an interactive movie. It's trickery for the dumbed down audience, the Daves of the world.

Yes, COD prides itself on its Michael Bay aesthetics. I don't buy the games for their story modes, but their incredibly addicting multiplayer and online community of crazy serious people that are fun to piss off. Simply saying this one surprised me a bit. I ended up plowing through the campaign. Finished it in 2 days on Veteran and cleaned up all associated trophies, when it took me weeks to clear just one level in the horrid Black Ops II. Perhaps it was obvious with a title like "Ghosts" but I certainly didn't expect the fair amount of stealth and sneak missions in this one. There are some great action sequences. As for the hand-holding aspect, are you referring to what is essentially the "corridor shooter?" As opposed to Shadow Fall or something like Crysis that has a set space and lets you do objectives in the order you please? That type of level design is as old as the FPS itself, so I see no need to abandon it. Battlefield is guilty of the same thing. I love interactive dramas, if we're talking about the other extreme. I don't understand why such a gaming experience is "trickery for the dumbed down audience" when most people hate it. Uncharted is guilty of both in its linear design and interactive Hollywood blockbuster feel. So why does that get pardoned?

Anyway, in regards to Black Flag, that one is fantastic. Been playing that one like crazy, and I may have missed a story beat since I never finished the extremely expansive and daunting Assassin's Creed III, but the way this one pokes fun at itself, and has a rating system for each mission is a great move by Ubisoft. They certainly intend on making it last for several more years, so getting feedback on what's working and what isn't from the players themselves is cool.

Gotta love deep sea hunting, harpooning great white sharks while your ship's crew bellows out Spanish Ladies ;)

I shouted out Uncharted 3 for its hand holding. I thought it was a glossy but weak game. The next gen version I won't get excited about unless I find out they're expanding or reinventing the core gameplay to the point where they offer up greater freedom of choice within the game environment and stop wrestling control away from me just so they make it feel more 'cinematic'.

Valve are masters of linear design. No reason why Naughty Dog can't learn from the best.

That's correct. The idea of Half Life episodes was to release contents every few years, but the time since the last episode is nearly as long as the time between the original and its sequel. Hopefully the next generation consoles and Steam box will encourage something, as you'd think they have something in the works.

Restarted a new game of New Vegas last night. I hope I get some good stable sessions out of it. It did crash but I think it was from pushing too many keys together, and my keyboard needed to update its drivers.

The world is my burrito.

PC gaming sounds as fun as ever. Every time you post something I don't ever want to return to it

oh no the game crashed again, maybe it's because I didn't update my KEYBOARD drivers!

The Fallout games crash on consoles , but at least just re-boot it and don;t look for a cause

But it's probably just Wojo trying to play recent games on an 8 year old PC. But even if you get a new one you get the same problem once a game that pushes the limits comes out

Gotta go finish Far Cry 3..last mission I think

Wojo seems haphazard with pc gaming doesn't he. I don't suffer from nearly the amount of issues as he, I just grab my controller and play. Recently completed Batman Origins on the platform and am now making my way through a horror called Outlast. Battlefield 4 is crashing of course, but that's because EA are twats of Doom and see no problem with releasing an unfinished title on all platforms. Fingers crossed for the recently patched ps4 version on Friday over here. Can't wait.

Fallout 3 was a mess when it came out, as I remember it. Extremely dated game both in design and visually, but not bad after a few mods and a nice ENB added.

I don't think Wojo is happy gaming unless he's trying to get a seven year old title to crash somewhere ;)

Didn't like the Far Cry 3 ending(s)

I did everything except finding all the relics

I was going to start Borderlands 2 but I don;t think I can do 2 similar games like this in a row

I lost interest after the first island. Plus the main character and his arc was completely ridiculous and unlikeable. Imo Far Cry 3 was hugely overrated. Good game, but nothing like the GotY some critics were reckoning.

Anyone who puts a time limit on when you can no longer play a video game without putting the same moratorium on a TV show, rock album, movie, book, or soundtrack is a hypocrite.

It was a new keyboard and wanted me to reboot before starting the game.

Bethesda games are not the benchmark of stability for any gaming platform.

While you lifeless junkies were finishing the game back in the day, I was working on other things with a computer that didn't play the game. It's five years old next month, but the brand new video card and reinstalled Windows makes it young again. I'm pretty sure if I went home to an empty house because nobody loves me, I could finish games within a week too so my poor fingers don't forget the buttons.

Koray implied it with the winky that he beat the game when it was current, but it's something that gets more under KM's skin, that once the new game comes out, you're not supposed to revisit old ones. Heaven help me if I tell him about the Brutal Doom mod I'm itching to play on my 65 incher.

We ought to add each other on Steam.

Didn't mean to imply that much. Just for me, personally, I buy so many games that I need to churn them out while they're relevant in order to move on to the next one. And yes, being in a relationship kills your gaming freedom. I miss the hours on end sessions.

To be quite honest I don't even think games and their appeal are really comparable to other mediums such as film from an age standpoint and in some ways that makes video games rather unique. Films/music are non-interactive experiences and completely linear by nature, and movies from forty years ago are not crude and simplistic entertainments in the way games from twenty years ago now are. I suspect it's only the most ardent of rose-tinted glasses wearers who dispute the suggestion that a game's ability to entertain diminishes as time goes on, after many years.

To each their own. If you believe that a video game from twenty years is no longer able to provide entertainment even if its console, emulator, or native operating system still function, that's your choice. There are those who would argue that twenty year old books are too old, that outdated special effects are unwatchable, that old TV shows are out of touch with current life, and that old music is for old people. They would be no more wrong than you.

There isn't much difference between the idea that black and white movies are unwatchable, and the idea that the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy are worse than the prequels because the effects are crappy. I knew people like this.

So much talk about buggy games and systems in this thread. I've just been enjoying the shit out of my nintendo games on my Nintendo 3DS lately and they are all great.

So much talk about buggy games and systems in this thread. I've just been enjoying the shit out of my nintendo games on my Nintendo 3DS lately and they are all great.

You must not have needed bifocals at age seven to make prolonged play on a tiny screen unwise. But just be glad we're using the Other Threads.

I've had glasses since I was in 5th grade and contacts since I was in 8th grade.

But that's irrelevant, the screen is not tiny - I have a 3DS XL, the screen is 5" big!

To each their own. If you believe that a video game from twenty years is no longer able to provide entertainment even if its console, emulator, or native operating system still function, that's your choice. There are those who would argue that twenty year old books are too old, that outdated special effects are unwatchable, that old TV shows are out of touch with current life, and that old music is for old people. They would be no more wrong than you.

There isn't much difference between the idea that black and white movies are unwatchable, and the idea that the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy are worse than the prequels because the effects are crappy. I knew people like this.

As I said, nostalgia driven personal attachment. Plus there's an undeniably powerful novelty factor involved in booting up ancient and long finished games.

In other words: there's a far greater chance of a thirteen year old kid watching Star Wars today and enjoying it than there is the same kid being handed an NES controller and him enjoying a game of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He'd laugh it out the room.

Dude, I threw the side scrolling Ninja Turtles out of the room twenty years ago! The kill box was ridiculously small, the controls were bad, and the game was brutal. Ninjas that can't jump well and turtles that can't swim well? No thanks. The arcade game was marginally better. But that thirteen year old might enjoy a Mario game with the NES controller because the same game has been remade for every Nintendo generation since then.

After all, Steam is selling a remastered DuckTales for $14.99 that is the identically same game from the Nintendo released 23 years ago, but with better graphics and sound. They certainly expect somebody to buy it. I'm hoping it's part of the imminent Thanksgiving sale. Will the thirteen year old laugh at it? Probably. It's not Call of Battlefield, it's not multi-player, and it doesn't have tits.

Dude, I threw the side scrolling Ninja Turtles out of the room twenty years ago! The kill box was ridiculously small, the controls were bad, and the game was brutal. Ninjas that can't jump well and turtles that can't swim well? No thanks. The arcade game was marginally better. But that thirteen year old might enjoy a Mario game with the NES controller because the same game has been remade for every Nintendo generation since then.

The game was objectively shit, but kids played the shit out of it nonetheless. Just like you apparently did, judging by your well remembered and extremely specific knowledge of it, more than twenty years later. And that was when games were hard, unfairly so. But kids back then overcome the difficulties and design flaws and extracted every last bit of enjoyment out of a game like Turtles, I think my brother used to beat the crap out of it every day along with a host of other generic NES releases. Why? Because the games were cool at the time and there was nothing else to play a lot of the time.

I think you're arguing from a wholly subjective POV where a more objective hindsight and reflective approach would provide a more balanced look back at those old 2D sprite times.

After all, Steam is selling a remastered DuckTales for $14.99 that is the identically same game from the Nintendo released 23 years ago, but with better graphics and sound. They certainly expect somebody to buy it. I'm hoping it's part of the imminent Thanksgiving sale. Will the thirteen year old laugh at it? Probably. It's not Call of Battlefield, it's not multi-player, and it doesn't have tits

You conveniently skipped the part where it was also just never really that good in the first place, like platforming Turtles back in the day. As I said, nostalgia driven experiences.

Your last sentence is just irritated cheap ignorance which is easily ignored simply because it's a massive generalisation of demographics with absolutely no basis in fact. I don't actually think you are a gamer Wojo, because otherwise you would no very different.

You're right. Cremers would say you Wojofied me.

I suppose a massive collection and backlog of games, the inability to stop buying any, and the desire to build the best gaming machine in my budget can't possibly make me a gamer.

I suppose a massive collection and backlog of games, the inability to stop buying any,

That's my problem too! I have games I bought probably a decade I know now that I still haven't opened.

You're right. Cremers would say you Wojofied me.

I suppose a massive collection and backlog of games, the inability to stop buying any, and the desire to build the best gaming machine in my budget can't possibly make me a gamer.

But why then are you always so upfront about the fact that you never get around to playing anything then? It doesn't add up!

By the way, I just wanted to make a quick distinction: I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with nostalgic entrainment. Far from it.

I suppose a massive collection and backlog of games, the inability to stop buying any,

That's my problem too! I have games I bought probably a decade I know now that I still haven't opened.

Materialistic capitalist!

I've had a gym membership for a year but haven't made noticeable weight loss progress. I have have a couple hundred dollars tied up in music I haven't opened, ripped, tagged, or listened to. I have a very unorganized file system that suffered a huge setback with the purchase of that video card you endorsed. My gaming time is severely restricted these days.

I never cared whether DuckTales was any good because I had an unhealthy obsession with the show as a child. It was the only NES game I figured out how to beat entirely on my own and fully found all the secrets for. I never beat a Mario game without cheating other than Six Golden Coins and Donkey Kong, which doesn't count, on the GameBoy. So I have a lot of nostalgic fondness for the game that totally disregards anyone else's (read: you) opinion of the game. The fact that Alan Young agreed to voice his greedy character in the remake speaks to how many others hold the game in high esteem. Is it an average side stroller of the eighties that required too much time to master and sustain? Certainly. But it's fun. That's why I play games. They're fun. If I'm getting my ass handed to me by the thirteen year old playing Call of Battlefield because he thought it was fun enough to master, then I don't have much incentive to learn how to beat him.

New Vegas is nineties? I haven't redownloaded Skyrim yet. And I will finally get to play the Kevin Conroy Batman games again. Nineties? Or are you using metric years?

Nostalgic gamer would still be a gamer.

Films/music are non-interactive experiences and completely linear by nature, and movies from forty years ago are not crude and simplistic entertainments in the way games from twenty years ago now are. I suspect it's only the most ardent of rose-tinted glasses wearers who dispute the suggestion that a game's ability to entertain diminishes as time goes on, after many years.

Well call me rosy-tinted glasses wearing, but I think you're full of shit. And I'm an expert on being full of shit.

In other words: there's a far greater chance of a thirteen year old kid watching Star Wars today and enjoying it than there is the same kid being handed an NES controller and him enjoying a game of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He'd laugh it out the room.

Are you serious? Or wasted?

You're going to compare Star Wars to a game that was hated when it came out, hated after it came out, and most likely hated into eternity? The only people that enjoyed that game grew up to be masochists.

A more appropriate comparison might be Star Wars and Tetris.

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". Good god man. What are you smoking?