SCORE: Copernicus' Star by Abel Korzeniowski

crocodile

Copernicus' Star by Abel Korzeniowski

This is something I can't stop listening to lately. In fact, sometimes I do that 2-3 times a day. It's one of the most enjoyable CD's with a new score (well, from 2009) in quite a while and something we should be getting from films like Pirates of the Carribean, recent Harry Potter films or Chronicles of Narnia, but, for whatever reason, it never happens. Copernicus' Star is a kind of score that suddenly comes out of nowhere and literally sweeps the competition off the map. Not because there is anything groundbreaking about it, but because it makes better use of typical elements.

For a story that revolves mainly around historical figures (it is loosely based on Nicolaus Copernicus' life), the score is surprisingly bold, swashbuckling almost. It feels more like something written for a fantasy genre. Big, lush orchestra, cerebral brass, ever-present wide range of percussion. But then this very animated film is told this way. The main character meets figures like young Johann Faust (which, technically, could have happened), which takes it almost to mythic proportions. And so the composer lets loose some imagination, so to speak. The chorus adds to the epic feel of the score. Angelic, mourning, or just generally massively-filmic - it's presence is definitely felt throughout. There are some sections that recall a festive renaissance music, but in a more massive, symphonic fashion.

There is quite a few themes in this score. The main one some people compared to A Beautiful Mind, probably due to its use of female vocalist. But, in all honesty, it reminds me more of something Wojciech Kilar, Zbigniew Preisner or Jan A.P. Kaczmarek might have written. Horner's music never achieved this kind of operatic quality, typical for music of these Polish composers. The theme accomanies an imaginary journey through stars of young Nicolaus Copernicus in search for his lost father (who passes away earlier in the story), while meeting the Zodiac signs along the way.

The story's antagonist, a Dutch alchemist/astrologist Paul Van De Volder, receives his own theme, which is in fact a variation on the main thematic idea from Paul Dukas' The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It is probably not a coincidence. The usage of this theme varies from a more comical (led by woodwind) to downright threatning (The Philosopher's Stone).

We get a love theme as well (presented in the Anna and Volder track), but not necessarily as romantic as you might expect. It is more formal, for it never really comes to fruition in the story. It also feels at home in a period piece. There are also other minor recurring thematic elements. There is one idea, which you can hear at the start of the closing track and in Faustus, which would feel right at home in a Pirates of a Carribean score. It has the same bold energy, but in an appropriate period arrangement. And no, it doesn't sound like Remote Control.

The film, of course, is not worthy of this music. But that's a typical. It's a pity few people will even hear this music. Virtually nobody rememebers the film (even in Poland) and the composer is relatively unknown. On top of that, there are only 1000 copies pressed of this album. But it's worth it, moreso than some of the big Hollywood releases these days.

Karol

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review of a great soundtrack. It's a shame that this music might have not seen daylight. I hope it sells well (according to Korzeniowski more than half of it is already gone) and it will open some doors for him. I also hope it will bring us closer to proper releases of Battle for Terra and (perhaps) even Metropolis.

I must admit that I started to get familiar with his work just recently, not counting some bits here and there. Angel In Cracow is very nice as are the two you mentioned. I also like A Single Man and Big Animal. I hope Terra and Metropolis get a release they deserve. And that he gets to score a big movie, which will put him in a spotlight.

Karol - who thinks these titles sound weird in English ;)

I must admit that I started to get familiar with his work just recently, not counting some bits here and there. Angel In Cracow is very nice as are the two you mentioned. I also like A Single Man and Big Animal. I hope Terra and Metropolis get a release they deserve. And that he gets to score a big movie, which will put him in a spotlight.

Karol - who thinks these titles sound weird in English ;)

Angel in Cracow irritates me with the dialogues between and during the cues (except for Hannibal I never liked this form of album presentation), but the music is nice.

As for my interest in Korzeniowski's music, it has been since I listened to Metropolis many years (he used to distribute it for free, preety much like he does it now, but some other tracks were available too, including one that was later reused in A Single Man). From that day on I have been following his career. I am also very happy that I not only had the chance of meeting him in person, but also supporting him as far as this latest release is concerned.

I am very happy that I not only had the chance of meeting him in person, but also supporting him as far as this latest release is concerned.

Cool. I owe you one then. ;)

BTW on his website you can find 15 tracks from Metropolis. But mine version has 17. Is that everything?

Karol

I am very happy that I not only had the chance of meeting him in person, but also supporting him as far as this latest release is concerned.

Cool. I owe you one then. ;)

BTW on his website you can find 15 tracks from Metropolis. But mine version has 17. Is that everything?

Karol

I really don't know. I've never asked him about and I haven't yet seen the movie with his score.

It was screened with music being played live in Toruń last month. Pity I learned this like a day before, because I'd like to see that. And not only because I used to live there for 5-6 years and have many fond memories from that period.

EDIT: It wasn't Korzeniowski's version after all, but somebody else's. I just checked. Good. :)

Karol

Copernicus' Star is a kind of score that suddenly comes out of nowhere and literally sweeps the competition off the map. Not because there is anything groundbreaking about it, but because it makes better use of typical elements.

That sums it up really well. It's the kind of score that keeps me risking blind buys (I didn't even listen to any samples), because every once in a while, along comes a score that's just unexpectedly wonderful.

After several listens, it turns out to be not so unusual in structure and technique, but it still has a boldness and a heart so many recent scores lack. I find the vocals in particular a nice touch.

Kudos to everyone who recommended this. I'd never heard of the score and composer, so I'd have skipped it and never known what I'd missed.

Wow, what rave reviews! :D I see I have to add this to my next order over at SAE. :P

I have a signed copy if you are interested in purchasing it.

A good review. :)

While there are obvious "inspirations" from several other scores (Beautiful Mind, Star Dust and POTC first came to mind) this score is delightful and comes to its own through the sheer heart, dynamic performance and orchestration and the original passages. Korzeniowski shows true promise and as mentioned it is not the novelty of the music but rather the best of the traditional that is so engaging here.

Wow, what rave reviews! :D I see I have to add this to my next order over at SAE. :P

I have a signed copy if you are interested in purchasing it.

How come you don't want it anymore? :blink: I think it'd be quite expensive to receive it from Canada ... :/ What is your price anyway? :P

I listened to the first 10 seconds of the first track my mistake the other night, and was instantly impressed :lol:

I haven't found time to give the whole CD a listen yet, but this definitely sounds like something I could get into...

Exactly how it happened for me, Jay, but not by accident. When they announced it along with Money Train, I went to his website to hear the samples, and 10 seconds into the first track I was instantly hooked. That's what I based my purchase on :lol:

I didn't even listen to the rest until the CD arrived.

• 2 months later...

I recently listed to this as well. It's spectacular.

Gonna buy it the first chance I get

It's probably the single most listened CD this year for me so far. Instant mood perk and something I don't get from major scores: a sense of fun. :)

Karol