FILM: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Jilal

First off, E.T. is a wonderful film. Very magical. Much better than those stupid Pixar films they make today. I even cried at the end. in Cars, cars die all the time *. In E.T., nobody died. E.T. is the perfect film for children.

The only thing i really didn't like about the film was that the NASA guys dressed up as astronouts, on Earth! That was strange. But i think it works when you're a kid. It's more terrifying than just people going inside the house and taking ET. ET is so cute in the film. Not like the aliens in War of the Worlds (LOL!).

I think Steven Spielberg makes wonderful films. Also, i never watched the 2002 version. Even my broadcasting company broadcasted the original 1982 version. Luckily. I prefer original versions over special editions.

E.T. was a wonderful film. I'm glad i saw it again. But why is there no JW credit in the end credits? By the way, did anyone notice that when ET uses his machine for the first time, the machine plays the 5-note motif from Close Encounters?

* I like the first Cars movie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, E.T. is a wonderful film. Very magical. Much better than those stupid Pixar films they make today. I even cried at the end. in Cars, cars die all the time *.

I find it peculiar that you're comparing E.T. to Pixar, and even more peculiar that you're comparing it to the worst film Pixar has ever made (which is a sequel to the second-worst film Pixar has ever made).

In E.T., nobody died.

Except for E.T....

I love the astronauts invading the house. Truly one of the scariest scenes ever for me and one of Spielberg and Williams' very best. The most reasonable explanation I can come up with (and what I've always concluded) is that the astronaut guys, who are the first to go in, did not want to be exposed to E.T. for medical reasons. Notice that they completely cover the house and the government people are wearing masks and suits. Plus, having space men come in is just cool.

First off, E.T. is a wonderful film. Very magical. Much better than those stupid Pixar films they make today. I even cried at the end. in Cars, cars die all the time *.

I find it peculiar that you're comparing E.T. to Pixar, and even more peculiar that you're comparing it to the worst film Pixar has ever made (which is a sequel to the second-worst film Pixar has ever made).

In E.T., nobody died.

Except for E.T....

Data, he's new(ish) to the board. Maybe we just don't get the way he expresses himself personally yet.

Alexander, I too find it strange that you picked one of Pixar's lesser film's to compare E.T. to. Why? What's your point?

I do however find the Pixar comparison in general to be completely relevant - since when they're at their very best they tend to tap into the very same emotional responses.

Compare Finding Nemo, or even a Toy Story movie, yes; but Cars?!

I love the astronauts invading the house. Truly one of the scariest scenes ever for me and one of Spielberg and Williams' very best. The most reasonable explanation I can come up with (and what I've always concluded) is that the astronaut guys, who are the first to go in, did not want to be exposed to E.T. for medical reasons. Notice that they completely cover the house and the government people are wearing masks and suits. Plus, having space men come in is just cool.

I agree with all of that. It's a terrifying sequence and something which one can't ever imagine being done in the same way today.

Spielberg puts us - the viewer, in an alien environment: we see E.T.'s home away from home being invaded - his fear of the unknown communicated through the terrified reactions of Elliot's mother. That such a sequence takes place inside of (warm) domestic surroundings is simply astonishing.

Film and score are both fantastic. One thing I noticed recently was that all the themes start with the same interval. Hum the first two notes of the flying theme, the main theme, the friendship theme, and (skipping the repeated notes) the two bad guy themes. They're the same.

I think they're different enough to be called seperate themes, but yes, the flying theme is definitely based off the main theme more than the others.

What? I never compared E.T. to a Pixar movie. I said that it's much BETTER than child films made today.

You compared E.T. directly to Pixar movies.

Much better than those stupid Pixar films they make today

They didn't totally replace it. In most cases, they added inconsistent CG animation to the original character. It made him look cuter, more animated and thusly, wrong and fake.

When I was little I was so scared of the noises the defibrillator paddles made on E.T and I would usually cry too.

Remember one day where I was watching it with some cousins and I had to make jokes at the part because I was afraid I was gonna cry in front of them!

What? I never compared E.T. to a Pixar movie. I said that it's much BETTER than child films made today.

ET isn't a childrens film, it a film for all generations and a cross genre film. It's has qualities of a childrens film, it has high drama, it has hilarity in bundles, it has slapstick, it has action and adventure, it has terror, and it has horror(two similar yet separate situations). It's even got chick flick qualities.

ET isn't a childrens film, it a film for all generations and a cross genre film. It's has qualities of a childrens film, it has high drama, it has hilarity in bundles, it has slapstick, it has action and adventure, it has terror, and it has horror(two similar yet separate situations). It's even got chick flick qualities.

good posting :up:

What's the name of that beautiful theme heard in the End Credits, Searching For E.T etc. You know, the one made up of Major 7th chords? The most moving theme Williams's ever written IMHO. Instantly conjures memories of my childhood.

...which is a comparison...

Let's revisit his statement.

First off, E.T. is a wonderful film. Very magical. Much better than those stupid Pixar films they make today. I even cried at the end. in Cars, cars die all the time *. In E.T., nobody died. E.T. is the perfect film for children.

This is a valid comparison. He is comparing the fact that in a lot of contemporary children's fare, death is inserted into the stories. After some kids watch Cars and Cars 2, they might ask their parents why Doc didn't come back for the sequel, and unless their parents want to lie, they have to explain death.

But in E.T., they don't have to explain death, because nobody dies (no, not because walkie-talkies can't kill...). I'm not sure it makes it "safer" for small children, since much of it is scary. And vulgar: the "penis breath" comment got it yanked from our VHS shelf when I was young, and it never went back. My family has a general detachment from the film as a result.

In no way should we misconstrue his comment to think that Cars is better than E.T. because it prepares children for adult issues, while E.T. only prepares them for the inevitable invasion of cuddly aliens. Nope. E.T. is timeless.

It's like a great Disney picture that wasn't even made by Disney.

It does have an edge. The language (my E.T. video was never taken away from me, but the Back to the Futures initially were!), the scares and the scenes of the government takeover of the house and losing E.T. Riveting stuff.

E.T. is one of the most uplifting experiences I've had so far in life. The story of friendship, bringing out the good in people, the innocence of childhood--that totally unjaded view of the universe through the eyes of young people and the cold realities that set in as the film progresses. I've tried to hold onto that innocence.