The John Williams TV Database

Thor

That's the name of a site I had intended to create (well, still do, actually), with detailed information about ALL of Williams' TV work. You click on a title, and see all the episodes he scored, with synopses, air dates, casts, pictures, soundtrack availability and so on. But it may take a while yet, as much of the information is unknown or buried so deep, I really should live in LA (near the sources) to find it all. Meanwhile, however, I've assembled a list based on the info provided by myself and others in this FSM thread:

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

I thought it could be of interest here as well, at least for us few hardcore 'early JW obscurities' fans. Feel free to fill in with missing information if you have it:

GENERAL ELECTRIC THEATER (1953-1962)

--- Season ?: 7-8 episodes

PLAYHOUSE 90 (1956-1960)

--- ???

M SQUAD (1957-1960)

--- Season 2: 8 episodes

BACHELOR FATHER (1957-1962)

--- Theme (Season 3)

--- Season 2: 8 episodes

--- Season 3: 37 episodes

TALES OF WELLS FARGO (1957-1962)

--- ???

WAGON TRAIN (1957-1965)

--- Season 2: 3 episodes (?)

--- Season 7: 1 episode

KRAFT MYSTERY THEATER (1958)

--- ???

CHECKMATE (1960-1962)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: 36 episodes

--- Season 2: 34 episodes

ALCOA PREMIERE THEATER (1961-1963)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: 28 episodes

--- Season 2: 28 episodes

WIDE COUNTRY (1962-1963)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: Pilot (part of ALCOA PREMIERE)

THE ELEVENTH HOUR (1962-1964)

--- Season 2: 1 episode

THE VIRGINAN (1962-1971)

--- ??? (tracked music from WAGON TRAIN?)

KRAFT SUSPENSE THEATER (1963-1965)

--- Theme (Season 1 and 2)

--- Season 1: 16 episodes

--- Season 2: 2 episodes

BOB HOPE PRESENTS THE CHRYSLER THEATER (1963-1967)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: 3 episodes(?)

--- Season 3: 4 episodes (?)

THE GHOSTBREAKER (1964)

--- Pilot (unsold)

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1964-1967)

--- Pilot (unaired)

--- Season ?: ?? episodes

LOST IN SPACE (1964-1968)

--- Season 1: 4 episodes

CONVOY (1965)

--- Season 1: 2 episodes

NIGHTWATCH (1965)

--- Pilot (unsold)

WHO GOES THERE? (1965)

--- Pilot (unsold)

BEN CASEY (1965)

--- Season 4: 1 episode

WAYNE AND SHUSTER TAKE AN AFFECTIONATE LOOK AT... (1966)

--- Season 1: 5 episodes (?)

THE TIME TUNNEL (1966-1967)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: 1 episode

THE TAMMY GRIMES SHOW (1966)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: 10 episodes

LAND OF THE GIANTS (1968-1970)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: 1 episode

THE COWBOYS (1972)

--- Theme (adaptation)

NBC NEWS (1985)

--- Various themes and bumpers

AMAZING STORIES (1985-1987)

--- Theme

--- Season 1: 2 episodes

ABC (1986)

--- "The Liberty Fanfare" (and more?)

EVENING AT POPS (1970-2005)

--- Theme (1980-something?)

OLYMPIC THEMES FOR TV BROADCAST (1984-2002)

--- 1984: "Olympic Fanfare and Theme"

--- 1988: "Olympic Spirit"

--- 1996: "Summon the Heroes"

--- 2002: "Call of the Champions"

MICHAEL DUKAKIS - NBC ATLANTA CONVENTION COVERAGE (1988)

--- "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis"

MASTERPIECE THEATER (2000)

--- Theme

NBC SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (2006)

---Theme

I have omitted the TV films for now, but would have to add them eventually.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be my guest!

There are still several question marks and holes to be filled, though. I hope some of the more exact info surfaces eventually.

There are also:

according to imdb:

-1959 Markham (season 1, episode 2)

-1962 BIg G (a.k.a Empire) unknown episodes http://www.imdb.com/...ullcredits#cast

(also for Wayne and Shuster they are 6 episodes)

according to CBS scores catalogue:

-1961 Gunslinger (theme) (of course it's not the song by Tiomkin but something else)

according to my own eyes (hehe) after i saw a post by zooba in FSM:

-1965 Ben Casey (season 4, episode 22) (maybe there are more episodes)

oh, and of course "Nightmare in Chicago" which is the edited and expanded Kraft Suspense unaired episode "Once Upon a Savage Night"

[quote name='filmmusic' timestamp='1333127874' post='798342']
There are also:

according to imdb:
-1959 Markham (season 1, episode 2)

Was this ever confirmed?

-1962 BIg G (a.k.a Empire) unknown episodes  [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055663/fullcredits#cast"]http://www.imdb.com/...ullcredits#cast[/url]

This is one of the titles that has spun around for many years, but never confirmed. It was often listed alongside "Flashing Spikes", which we now know was an episode of ALCOA PREMIERE.

(also for Wayne and Shuster they are 6 episodes)

I know, but Williams didn't do them all. I have two episodes, and only one of them is scored by JW. Can't remember the composer of the other right now. I don't know how many he did for sure, as I don't have access to the rest.

according to CBS scores catalogue:
-1961 Gunslinger (theme) (of course it's not the song by Tiomkin but something else)

Yeah, we did a thread on that not too long ago. Waiting for some more confirmation before I include it.

according to my own eyes (hehe) after i saw a post by zooba in FSM:
-1965 Ben Casey (season 4, episode 22) (maybe there are more episodes)

Ah yeah, damn, I forgot about that. Will be added!

oh, and of course "Nightmare in Chicago" which is the edited and expanded Kraft Suspense unaired episode "Once Upon a Savage Night"

I counted this among the KS series above. Once I add the TV movies (HEIDI, JANE EYRE etc.), I might include that as its own entity. Same with SGT. RYKER.

Thanks for the input, filmmusic!

about markham:

I'm searching for the specific episode.

unfortunately i can find it only in expensive full sets in ebay etc. and I don't want to pay just to confirm the credits for one episode..

about markham:

I'm searching for the specific episode.

unfortunately i can find it only in expensive full sets in ebay etc. and I don't want to pay just to confirm the credits for one episode..

I can understand that. Let's do some more "free" research before we include it.

in the CBS sheet music archives it's implied that it is an original theme:

Williams, John. Gunslinger Main Title. TV Series. Score no: CPN5960.

Yeah, that really doesn't make any sense. As you say, Tiomkin wrote that Main Title theme, with Ned Washington providing the lyrics. Could it be an error of some kind? Perhaps a confusion with the recording he did with Frankie Lane? Wouldn't be the first time something is credited to Williams that isn't him (although usually in less official context).

BACHELOR FATHER (1957-1962)

--- Theme (Season 3)

--- Season 2: 10 episodes (?)

--- Season 3: 37 episodes

From personal recordings, I can confirm 8 episodes for Season 2 (eps. 11, 12, 14, & 16-20) and 36 episodes for Season 3 (episode 3 being the outlier).

WAGON TRAIN (1957-1965)

--- Season ?: 6 episodes

6 episodes? From personal recordings, I can confirm 3 of the 4 listed on IMDB (confirmed eps. in bold):

SEASON 2

• The Beauty Jamison Story (17 December 1958) - Composer (as Johnny Williams)  
  • The Kitty Angel Story (7 January 1959) - Composer (as Johnny Williams)  
  • The Jenny Tannen Story (24 June 1959) - Composer (as Johnny Williams)

SEASON 7

• The Kitty Pryer Story (18 November 1963) - Composer (as Johnny Williams)

Up until a year or so ago, there were only 3 episodes listed on IMDB. I discovered a fourth and emailed a contact I have at IMDB, who kindly added it. :)

From personal recordings, I can confirm 8 of the Season 1 episodes scored by Williams. I have quite a few recordings from both seasons still on my DVR to review, though.

From personal recordings, I can confirm 8 of the Season 1 episodes scored by Williams. I have quite a few recordings from both seasons still on my DVR to review, though.

You mean video recordings?

well, regarding Kraft Suspense i can confirm all of them.. ;)

Jeff Eldridge already confirmed the number of KST, so that's one of the things that has been confirmed.

Regarding BACHELOR FATHER, he said he did about half of season 2 and all of season 3. Since there were 20 episodes in season 2, I just guessed 10. But if you can confirm 8, that's even better. But if you say there's one episode he didn't score in season 3 (for sure), I'll have to adjust that number too.

For WAGON TRAIN, I was going by the FSM guide, which mentions 6 (two more than imdb). Have you seen the whole show? Could there be two more that imdb hasn't registered?

My choice of words could have been better. By my confirmations, I wasn't challenging the numbers you'd put down, Thor. Rather, I was just offering up some input. This is a great project and I look forward to contributing to it as best I can. :)

Jeff Eldridge already confirmed the number of KST, so that's one of the things that has been confirmed.

Great!! Hopefully I have the remaining Williams-scored episodes on my DVR. :)

Regarding BACHELOR FATHER, he said he did about half of season 2 and all of season 3. Since there were 20 episodes in season 2, I just guessed 10. But if you can confirm 8, that's even better. But if you say there's one episode he didn't score in season 3 (for sure), I'll have to adjust that number too.

Williams did not score episodes 13 and 15 of Season 2. They were scored by Jeff Alexander. The other 8 can be confirmed as being scored by Williams. As for episode 3 of Season 3 ("The Case Against Gisele"), I can't say for certain one way or the other if Williams scored it. IMDB doesn't provide any music credits and the local station which airs the show keeps skipping over that episode for some reason.

For WAGON TRAIN, I was going by the FSM guide, which mentions 6 (two more than imdb). Have you seen the whole show? Could there be two more that imdb hasn't registered?

Yes, there could be more than IMDB indicates (my story above being a case in point). And I have not seen every episode. I was simply indicating that I could conclusively confirm 3 episodes. It's been a while since I looked at the FSM guide, but does it list the names of the 6 episodes?

Yes, there could be more than IMDB indicates (my story above being a case in point). And I have not seen every episode. I was simply indicating that I could conclusively confirm 3 episodes. It's been a while since I looked at the FSM guide, but does it list the names of the 6 episodes?

Sadly, no. But the FSM guide (written way back in 1998) has shown itself to have numerous errors over the years. It's still a valuable resource, though.

There is one particular problem with GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, by the way. People say he only wrote the music for the (unaired) pilot, and that his music from this was tracked throughout the first season. But this is not true. I've seen the entire first season, and there are several episodes credited to Williams that have music that was not in this pilot....NEW music, in other words. But to find out what is 'pilot music', what is new Williams music and what is music tracked by OTHER composers in each single episode is a job I haven't yet undertaken. Hence the question marks in the post above.

I changed WAGON TRAIN to 4 episodes, in anticipation of the other 2 (or more) to be confirmed.

Years ago, I went through the first season of "Gilligan's Island", and was able to find a lot of music on the other Williams scored episodes, not on the pilot episode. I think I had a listing I made of it, but I might have lost it some years ago... maybe it's time to go back to the island!

Years ago, I went through the first season of "Gilligan's Island", and was able to find a lot of music on the other Williams scored episodes, not on the pilot episode. I think I had a listing I made of it, but I might have lost it some years ago... maybe it's time to go back to the island!

I forgot to list the music as I saw it, but I do remember a couple of Williams bits off the top of my head -- the music for when Gilligan is fishing, the jaunty tuba thing for when Gilligan and the Skipper roam about in the bushes (a precursor to "Jabba the Hutt"?), the sexy jazz theme for Ginger etc. Some was from the pilot, some wasn't, but several of the themes recurred throughout the season, in similar-type situations.

Yes. I even ripped the music, so I could easier catalogue it. I think I still have part of those. I'm out of town, but will be back tomorrow, and will check what I was able to salvage from my old laptop.

• 2 months later...

I'm re-reading the liner notes for FSM's release of JW's Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion. I found this interesting:

...Williams later revisted "The Black Knight," recording two different arrangements of the tune for Columbia, in November 1962 and February 1963. Only the second of these was released, as the A side of a single (Columbia 4-42777) that also included "Augie's Great Piano," an original Williams composition.

Has anybody ever heard of this release? I haven't even heard of "Augie's Great Piano."

I'm re-reading the liner notes for FSM's release of JW's Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion. I found this interesting:

...Williams later revisted "The Black Knight," recording two different arrangements of the tune for Columbia, in November 1962 and February 1963. Only the second of these was released, as the A side of a single (Columbia 4-42777) that also included "Augie's Great Piano," an original Williams composition.

Has anybody ever heard of this release? I haven't even heard of "Augie's Great Piano."

More to the point who is Augie who appears both in the name of this composition and in the Augie's Great Municpal Band from SW Episode I. ;)

Yes, I have that single (a copy, not the physical thing). I'm not sure about its source, however. I don't think it's from CHECKMATE; might be an individual, standalone jazz composition like "Double Walk", "Aunt Orsavella", "Hello" and other things he did in the late 50's and early 60's. Maybe Miguel can expound.

It's a fun 2-minute piece....a bit in the style of Scott Joplin/THE STING.

I have the single of that one. Actually it's on my desk to be transferred into digital, but haven't had the time to deal with it so far.

I'm not home right now, in order to provide more details, but I seem to remember that there are more than one single release of some of that music.

Yes, I have that single (a copy, not the physical thing). I'm not sure about its source, however. I don't think it's from CHECKMATE; might be an individual, standalone jazz composition like "Double Walk", "Aunt Orsavella", "Hello" and other things he did in the late 50's and early 60's. Maybe Miguel can expound.

It's a fun 2-minute piece....a bit in the style of Scott Joplin/THE STING.

Johnny Williams And His Orchestra ‎– The Black Knight / Augie's Great Piano

Label:

Columbia – 4-42777

Format:

Vinyl, 7", Single, Promo, 45 RPM

US

Released:

Genre:

Jazz

Style:

Big Band

http://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Williams-And-His-Orchestra-The-Black-Knight-Augies-Great-Piano/release/2710083

This is a fantastic set of notes. Much appreciated.

You're welcome, but it still needs a lot of work to be completed. The challenge is tracking down the shows themselves, most of which are probably rusting away in a cellar somewhere. Or lost for eternity altogether. :(

• 1 year later...

Johnny Williams And His Orchestra ‎– The Black Knight / Augie's Great Piano

Note : sorry for the sound quality, that's a very badly recorded single!

• 6 months later...

Cool, thanks. I wonder if he did any more episodes?

By the way, I have recently acquired 20-something episodes of ALCOA PREMIERE THEATRE (aka FRED ASTAIRE'S PREMIERE THEATRE) on DVD-R's from a collector and currently going through them. Several interesting cues here.