Williams vs. LotR

Quintus

Williams vs. LotR  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• The last ten years of John Williams film scores
    • Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings scores

Well it obviously helped Mr. Shore that he had a grande and brilliant fable with incredible scenery to score, that I

even stopped for a second to think of an applicable answer. But Williams it is. Mostly because of his versatile scores.

I really really like the FOTR but after that score, it is all the same with a descending tendency and too repetitive action music.

Shore's achillies heel is his action writing and whilst he often does an admirable job with such material in LotR, he could never hope to compete with The Master in that area, and so it could be argued that Tintin's action music is more interesting and developed in other ways outside of its linearity, such as its orchestration, harmonics and outright panache.

Shores achillies heel is his action writing.

That's true, but LotR has some of the best action music of the decade.

His action music in "Balin's Tomb" and "Khazad-Dûm" is very good...

Actually, some moments in "Balin's Tomb" remind me a bit of Williams, especially the build up from at 3:00 to 4:05.

Shores achillies heel is his action writing.

That's true, but LotR has some of the best action music of the decade.

Agreed. Maybe THE best.

Which is both good and ultimately depressing.

Depressing because action music doesn't get better than LotR or depressing because Shore only wrote great action material for LotR?

For your sake, let's hope its the latter. ;)

Depressing because for me the action score of LotR (whilst veering wildly between bland and fabulous) isn't a benchmark composers should aspire to. Depressing because it highlights all too well the lack of talent on the scene this past decade.

John could write the LotR action stuff in his sleep, as could Horner.

Depressing because for me the action score of LotR (whilst veering wildly between bland and fabulous) isn't a benchmark composers should aspire to. Depressing because it highlights all too well the lack of talent on the scene this past decade.

Williams would have watered it down with random key changes and xylophone excesses.

Williams would have watered it down with random key changes and xylophone excesses.

And it still would've been more interesting than Shore's endless ascending brass syndrome.

What I actually love about LOTR action music is that it doesn't sound like Williams or Goldmsith or Horner or Zimmer.

Shore really did his own thing

Another way of saying that is it sounds like Howard Shore.

In the most extreme cases, in my book, a boring stretch of underscore is still better than an annoying one.

Shore can, maybe, be boring at times, but he is never annoying to the degree of some of Williams action music.

What I actually love about LOTR action music is that it doesn't sound like Williams or Goldmsith or Horner or Zimmer.

Shore really did his own thing

Another way of saying that is it sounds like Howard Shore.

Everyone has their style, and LotR is just Shore's style on steroids (including the action music). And unlike what you're comments suggest, Shore's action work in LotR is quality material. Not something Horner and Williams could write in their sleep. and I'm surprised to see that you see it that way. The LotR stuff is definitely better the same old snare-driven cues from Horner for the millionth time.

Though I agree Williams is definitely a stronger action writer than Shore, LotR's action material is competent enough to rival both Horner and Williams.

It's a fascinating conversation. I'm just thinking of a cue like Flight to the Ford now, which I love, but I've always appreciated the fact that it's not something I enjoy purely due to the writing, but rather it is the performance and recording, the instrumentation and choral clarity which stands out most to me. Because the composition itself ain't all that.

It's a fascinating conversation. I'm just thinking of a cue like Flight to the Ford now, which I love, but I've always appreciated the fact that it's not something I enjoy purely due to the writing, but rather it is the performance and recording, the instrumentation and choral clarity which stands out most to me. Because the composition itself ain't all that.

True, the atmosphere of the recording and the performance are an important part of it. Not just the writing.

But those also have been crafted by Shore. In an interview Shore once said that he takes a lot of care in choosing the orchestra and the performance venue.

The orchestrations have a lot to do with it and Shore took an enormous amount of care with that and the recording. But again, I don't think the merits of the composition should be robbed of their deserved credit.

No stupid idiot, that's just your inability to see the grey in accepted opinion. You deal in knee jerk absolutes and your currency is black and white.

You need both to get grey.

The only action music I would call "boring" is the second part of the Warg attack cue.

Cues like Khazad-Dûm, Parth Galen, Shieldmaiden of Rohan, The Breach Of The Deeping Wall... It's all top notchachos!

(Y) (Y) (Y)

The thing is your comments made the action material in LotR seem mediocre, which it certainly is not. And I'd say its better than some of William's recent action output.

With LOTR the strength lies in the whole package, not just the writing. I just love the sound of these scores. It's steeped in atmosphere. Both in the recording and the performance I'm sure.

Agreed. It's an incredibly effective combination of various elements at work.

I never thought of LOTR action music as anything special.

Karol

It isn't, outside of LotR. As part of these rich cinematic fables though it just works wonderfully well. Or what Steef said.

The only thing I find utterly annoying in Shore's LOTR work is his ascending 'ta-dum' Ent shit - I think Lee described it as the ascending brass. But I have to give the man credit - he has MILKED that motif to the last drop and it's worked.

Shore's work for LOTR is best viewed as the whole, like a Monet - when you start nit picking you see annoyingly 'off' strokes; words seem to not be spelled correctly anymore...etc etc.

I don't think of ANY of his cues as 'action' cues actually.

So when asking the poll question - when viewing the scores as a whole - who's done better work in the past 10 years? Shore. Hands down. I haven't heard a JW score in a long long time that I was absolutely in love with.

looking for the cue, it's the dotted quarter eighth pattern that is underscoring the ents and the flood I believe

end of Isengard Unleashed