Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Yeah what's the big idea?!!!

Apparently there is that extended percussion part in the middle of that Warg-Scouts passage but where did you unearth it Faleel?

I got it from the EE documentary on the scene ("The Epic of Scene 88")

At first I thought it replaced the tracked music in Run/Elf Hunters (see 1:24 in the video in my post here)

I think I might have placed the unknown cue from the Shore AUJ WaterTower Records video (a.k.a. 56e, as in Edward)!

I don't know why this Edward thing is significant but I'll chime in after I have had a chance to listen these after I get back home from work.

I just noticed a microedit in Riddles in the Dark!

Listen to 1:05/1:06, notice crossfade?

If anyone is wonder what makes me think this is a microedit listen to this:

• 1 month later...

I don't know why this Edward thing is significant but I'll chime in after I have had a chance to listen these after I get back home from work.

Did you get a chance to listen to this?

So you propose that the mystery snippet is either from the Bag End sequence or from the preamble to the Five Wizards tale speech? Tone-wise it could fit either. The 56 e makes the latter scene more probable to me (unless they have a huge amount of tiny cues or Shore numbers his pieces very meticulously).

So you propose that the mystery snippet is either from the Bag End sequence or from the preamble to the Five Wizards tale speech?

Yeah, Orchestration wise, the Gandalf theme statement sounds more like the Bag End statement, however in the video it is taken from, it goes right into recording Radagast the Brown.

The riding in the rain scene is unscored in the film but I could imagine it might have been scored with this light little ditty of the Shire material. Perhaps it was thought too light for the mood of the sequence.

56 e (a cue number?) would, as I said above, point to a later scene though, not the Bag End one (the music would also fit that scene quite well).

I'm just listening to AUJ again. I know I sound like a broken record, but Howard Shore's streamlined brass stuff is just awesome. Out Of The Frying-Pan is just so badass.

I'm just listening to AUJ again. I know I sound like a broken record, but Howard Shore's streamlined brass stuff is just awesome. Out Of The Frying-Pan is just so badass.

Certainly. It is one of my favourite action cues in recent years and I find myself listening to it regularly. In fact I just did yesterday. :)

Reading this, I just gave the cue another spin. Awesome stuff. The groaning brass aleatory in the beginning always gets me...aroused, for the lack of a better word. ;)

So you propose that the mystery snippet is either from the Bag End sequence or from the preamble to the Five Wizards tale speech?

Yeah, Orchestration wise, the Gandalf theme statement sounds more like the Bag End statement, however in the video it is taken from, it goes right into recording Radagast the Brown.

You're all overanalysing this. Sometimes the solution is right in front of you. ;)

Jim must follow up on Doug's characteristic ambiguity in his absence. ;)

So the Horse has a spiritual mouth piece?

You're all overanalysing this. Sometimes the solution is right in front of you. ;)

But the solution is silent on the matter.

If I'm to understand Jim correctly, the music was written for the forest/Radagast scene, not the Bag End scene.

Correct. The music in that video (which someone should probably link to again) is one continuous cue.

If I'm to understand Jim correctly, the music was written for the forest/Radagast scene, not the Bag End scene.

Correct. The music in that video (which someone should probably link to again) is one continuous cue.

Plus the cue number seems a bit to big to be from Bag End as I mentioned before.

Cue isn't really the right word. Like the LotR scores, these are conceived as long form suites, elements of which may be reordered or dropped as the film is recut or compositions are revised.

Fellowship is the only score that could really do with being revisited, both from an assembly and mix perspective. Aside from a few odds and ends the 'complete' recordings of Two Towers and Return of the King are pretty definitive.

Fellowship is the only score that could really do with being revisited, both from an assembly and mix perspective. Aside from a few odds and ends the 'complete' recordings of Two Towers and Return of the King are pretty definitive.

Well there was a certain learning curve in doing these things for Shore and his team. And I am guessing that with such wealth of material to choose from coming up with a certain philosophy of what to include and what should stay outside the CR was still shaky compared with TTT and RotK. Again film versions VS original intentions is an issue that remains apparent in FotR set. Same goes with bringing back unused or alternate sections of the compositions. I understand the logic of not bogging down these presentations with alterates to form a rounded presentation of the score but I can't deny that there are some snippets that could have been introduced to the flow of the set without disrupting it.

Aside from the first appearance of Way to Mordor motif on solo horn mixed way too low in TTT I found nothing too upsetting in the mix of either TTT or RotK CR.

Cue isn't really the right word. Like the LotR scores, these are conceived as long form suites, elements of which may be reordered or dropped as the film is recut or compositions are revised.

Well be the term what it is, cue, suite or whatever pops to mind, does the numbering give any indication of the placement of these compositions in the film? Like with cue and reel numbers?

It's the scene number of the first scene in the cue. For The Hobbit anyway.

That's correct, so in this case lr56e. The 'lr' stands for 'Little Rivers'.