X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014 film directed by Bryan Singer)

Matt C

Method A is a result of the film's decision to tell a story with tension. The future timeline needed to drag out their events in real time as the storyline in the past unfolded in order for subsequent decisions to make sense. For example, Logan isn't getting anywhere with young Charles, and needs the mature Professor to get through to him. In a more realistic future timeline, that probably should have happened immediately after sending Logan back, and then after that, the future timeline is fixed, ie snaps back to the present timeline in the X Mansion. But that would mean there's no time to tell a three hour story in the past, so you need to give the future actors Stewart and McKellen (some) stuff to do.

I mean, think of yourself sitting at your device right now reading this post. Is your past self moving around right now in the past doing stuff? Yes, I guess. Ten years ago, I did stuff that took me one hour for every hour of stuff I did. Of course, the fact that it already happened also means that past is just a blip.

First Contact is one of those rare time travel movies that forces the audience to assume it all works out in the end. The Enterprise kills the Borg, picks up its crew, they watch the Vulcans land, and then they shoot into a new vortex. That's it. We see the Vulcans and the humans interact, but we have to assume the twenty fourth century really is waiting for the crew. Any mistakes made to the timeline get ignored. Until the Enterprise TV show, of course, but treat that how you wish.

How many days does Wolverine spend in the 70s during the course of DOFP? Whatever it was, that's a hella long time for Kitty to not only stand over Logan, but maintain her concentration while doing so. I never thought about that until this video brought it up.

• 1 month later...

It's always been called the Rogue Cut. What did you think, fans made that name up?

The name has two meanings

Bryan Singer announced via Periscope that the X-Men: Days of Future Past – Rogue Cut will be released on July 14.

Singer mentions that the day is significant because it marks the fifteenth anniversary of the first X-Men movie.

The Rogue Cut will be 17 minutes longer than the theatrical release and feature new effects and additional scenes.

He also says that the Rogue Cut name has a “double meaning,” signifying Rogue’s increased role in the film as well as how divergent the new cut is from the theatrical release.

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/05/bryan-singer-reveals-x-men-dofp-rogue-cut-release-date/

It's getting a Steelbook blu ray too

x-men-dofp-rogue-cut-133268.jpg

Weird cover

That was your 80,000th post.

I wonder if they got Ottman to write new music for this; Or if they just tracked in existing cues; Or if he had already scored some of these scenes the first time around

Apart from Shore on LOTR, is there any case where a composer came back to compose/record music for the extended cut of a film?

That's a great question. Apart from Shore on LOTR, and Williams on CE3K, I can't think of any! There must be others though, right?

Williams revisited Return of the Jedi with a new piece in 1997 as well, although I guess it was not technically an "extended cut."

Most of the time, extended cuts are a hack job though.

I presume all the music used in the extended versions of Kingdom of Heaven, Alexander, and Troy were pre-existing?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read reviews that are the complete opposite of that!

The consensus of the reviews I read was that the film starts and ends the same, but the entire middle is so altered, its almost like a whole other movie.

I plan on watching it. Why not!?