X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014 film directed by Bryan Singer)

Matt C

No, not really. X-Men films never were box office juggernauts (not a pun, I swear!).

Fuck. I won't have much time...

That can be only extended if your forward appropriate documentation i.e. sick note, bank statements confirming difficult material situation. In other case, I'll be merciless.

Karol

It's a bit sad to me that I have no strong desire to see this in the theater. I haven't seen any of the other recent comic book movies. I saw Avengers, but missed everything after that.

Anyway...

The film has always been about Xavier. And that's the only aspect it needs to really address. It's a pity all those characters get only, brief or even more brief, cameos. But at least film has some focus on the crucial aspect of this franchise. It has never done that before, if you think about it. Professor X was always in the background, more or less. In the previous film Magneto was more central to the plot.

Karol

McKellen is almost virtually non-existent in it. His character has very little substantial to do and say.

Karol

This bugged me quite a bit. You can't bring together an all-star cast like that and leave them waste away. At least give the man some decent lines like they did with Stewart!

I watched half of it until there was a power outage at the mall, but up to that point it was a decently fun summer movie which didn't seem all that different from the other decent summer movies. It probably kicks into higher gear after that. The Quicksilver slow mo sequence was really fun.

Wow, this movie couldn't beat Godzilla's opening weekend according to BOM's weekend estimates.

It's a 4 day weekend here in the states so even with that I highly doubt it will. As crocy said the X-Men franchise hasn't really never been smashing box office numbers.

I can't tell one X-Men flick from the other. It was alright when there were just two of them, and part three was a luke warm follow-up. But then all the spin-offs came about and I lost track of it all.

Mystique grew up with Xavier and yet she tries to murder him in X-Men when sabotaging Cerebro.

Also, how old is she? She was a kid in First Class, but after that doesn't age at all in her blue form. Not really, anyway.

Speaking of Cerebro, wasn't Magneto the one who helped Xavier build it in the first place? Why is it Beast in First Class?

Karol

Jeez, I didn't realize it was all so messed up.

Of course, it all works if you ignore First Class and categorize it as a reboot.

Wow, this movie couldn't beat Godzilla's opening weekend according to BOM's weekend estimates.

It's a 4 day weekend here in the states so even with that I highly doubt it will. As crocy said the X-Men franchise hasn't really never been smashing box office numbers.

The thing about the franchise is that, save for the first one, all of the films have been front-loaded (even acclaimed ones like X2, First Class and this one). Big opening first weekend, but don't have a strong multiplier much higher than 2X after that.

Of course, it all works if you ignore First Class and categorize it as a reboot.

Which would have been fine if they didn't go ahead and cross streams.