X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014 film directed by Bryan Singer)

Matt C

Even in that silly outfit, Anna Paquin is still very hot these days, eh?

And wow - whether it be Rebecca Romijn or Jennifer Lawrence, we really win in that department too. Hubba hubba.

EDIT: Wow, careful. Spoilers ahead!

Toad's back. And so is Stryker!

How can something that is on the cover of a magazine that will be on newstands everywhere be considered a spoiler?

Since the Sentinels do not appear in the original X-Men film or any of its sequels and prequels, I assume that to mean that the Sentinels existed in an alternate timeline that was rectified by the time of the original movie.

Rich

They appeared in a Danger Room simulation in X-Men 3.

Well, yes, of course, but that's just a simulation. My wording was imprecise. I should have indicated that I meant Sentinels were not shown in the "prime timeline" of any of the X-Men films. And yes, prime timeline is a bit of a joke because these films are terribly inconsistent. A simulation permits a wide array of artistic freedom: a character could read a book about Robin Hood, but that doesn't mean Robin Hood actually existed in the past of the character's prime timeline.

There a number of ways to explain why/how X-Men 3 portrays Sentinels. They are a complete fabrication by the designer of the simulation, whoever that would have been, that coincidentally look identical to devices from the comics simply ignored by the films to date. They are a recreation of something the X-Men had encountered but they just didn't show us. Or the events of the Days of Future Past storyline will be forgotten by all X-Men and Brotherhood at this film's close by the restoration of the "prime" timeline, except for Xavier, whose supreme telekinetic powers allow him to transcend realities.

Nah. It's all a giant flipping retcon.

I'm not sure what memories from WWII you're talking about. I didn't see The Wolverine, if it was in there.

But I'm sure they've made a movie about every single moment from that war, and he just watched that along the way. ;)

First Class was essentially meant as a reboot, up until Singer decided to return I guess.

Continuity between movies have been screwed up ever since X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

In what time do the scenes with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen take place? It seems to be in a near post apocalyptic world. Must be sometime after the events of The Wolverine. The teaser at the end of that movie was dated a year after the events of The Wolverine, but things certainly werent apocalyptic yet.

Which likely means that the future events seen in DOFP are taking place well after that last bit we saw in THE WOLVERINE, as opposed to straight after. That ending was kind of fun, not giving away too much on what will come, only that something was big enough to make Xavier and Magneto join forces.

The after-credits scene of TW takes place two years after the events of TW, I believe.

I think the film looks great, and speaking of X-Men, I got to meet Chris Claremont tonight at a public Q&A, in addition to telling funny little anecdotes of his life, in addition, he answered questions (mine first!), took a photo with me, and even signed my comics. He's a great dude, and hilarious to boot. :D

What I meant is that DOFP will take place well after the scene that took place two years after THE WOLVERINE. They're at least allowing some wiggle room for these events to take place.

Since the Sentinels do not appear in the original X-Men film or any of its sequels and prequels, I assume that to mean that the Sentinels existed in an alternate timeline that was rectified by the time of the original movie.

Rich

They appeared in a Danger Room simulation in X-Men 3.

Well, yes, of course, but that's just a simulation. My wording was imprecise. I should have indicated that I meant Sentinels were not shown in the "prime timeline" of any of the X-Men films. And yes, prime timeline is a bit of a joke because these films are terribly inconsistent. A simulation permits a wide array of artistic freedom: a character could read a book about Robin Hood, but that doesn't mean Robin Hood actually existed in the past of the character's prime timeline.

There a number of ways to explain why/how X-Men 3 portrays Sentinels. They are a complete fabrication by the designer of the simulation, whoever that would have been, that coincidentally look identical to devices from the comics simply ignored by the films to date. They are a recreation of something the X-Men had encountered but they just didn't show us. Or the events of the Days of Future Past storyline will be forgotten by all X-Men and Brotherhood at this film's close by the restoration of the "prime" timeline, except for Xavier, whose supreme telekinetic powers allow him to transcend realities.

Nah. It's all a giant flipping retcon.

I don't think what you call a prime timeline won't matter after the new film. I reckon the only reason for them to do that is to clear things up and create a new Star Trek like rebooted timeline in which they can start things from scratch.

Karol

Interesting article about Fox's potential plans for future Marvel movies.

They have X-Men: Days of Future Past in 2014, Fantastic Four in 2015, X-Men: Apocalypse in 2016, and Wolverine 3 in 2017..... and have announced some mystery movie for 2018. This artcle speculates what it could be

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51699

• 2 weeks later...

FIRST CLASS had some awful art direction and set design for a film that was supposed to be set in '62. Completely unconvincing.

And those titles that emulated DR. NO were trash. The score was trash, too. But it was Hank Jackman, after all.

All in all, maybe I'll catch the sequel on TV if I'm drunk enough to bother with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, judging by that clip, it seems the new movie will be more in line with the current crop of Marvel movies than it will the original two Singer flicks. That being said, it was still pretty freaking cool :)

Magneto and Xavier are old men and have been frenemies for a very long time. Why must they still have something to talk about?

Because the chitchats between these two powerhouses are often the highlights of the X-men films. Of course, to you they are just old.