Trevor Rabin: Women Aren't As Good Composers as Men

indy4

Then you might as well close this whole forum.

One could wonder if the lack of female filmscore fans and the lack of female filmscore composers have the same reason.

We complain about Hollywood being a male dominated industry, but look at us?

I won't try and say there's no such thing as a "glass ceiling" but... isn't it possible there just aren't as many women interested in being film composers as there are men? Not every imbalance has to be due to some kind of discrimination.

I, for one, am a female dominated industry.

One could wonder if the lack of female filmscore fans and the lack of female filmscore composers have the same reason.

Probably the dumbest argument ever. Similar to saying since there is crime, we should not have law enforcement.

I won't try and say there's no such thing as a "glass ceiling" but... isn't it possible there just aren't as many women interested in being film composers as there are men? Not every imbalance has to be due to some kind of discrimination.

I, for one, am a female dominated industry.

If I was a big filmmaker, I would collaborate with female editors and composers. If Shirley Walker was still living, she would be my top choice to score my films. (And yes, I would pick her over Williams and Goldsmith in that regard.)

It's all about that talent. There needs to be more equality in all career fields, not just the entertainment industry.

Probably the dumbest argument ever. Similar to saying since there is crime, we should not have law enforcement.

You obviously didnt get my point.

And the reason for that might as well be some sort of discrimination, Women that don't do things because they've assimilated said things as not being for women. And the other way around too. Culture is powerful.

Now let's look at Quint's interesting questions about trans women and film music (I didn't know Angela Morley was trans). People probably educated as men (since our society insists on treating men and women differently), who turned out to be women. So they might not have that inhibition from their time. I don't know any film composer who is a trans man.

Among my friends interested in film and music, everybody seems to have a liking for film music regardless of gender, but no one to the level of detail as in this forum.

And the reason for that might as well be some sort of discrimination, Women that don't do things because they've assimilated said things as not being for women. And the other way around too. Culture is powerful.

No of course, that's entirely true. I was just playing a bit of devil's advocate.

Awful vocals, awful bass tone and awful synth solos. Sorry no.

I feel like Yes is an acquired taste, like ELP. If you can endure the usually cringey levels of pretentiousness, there's some good stuff to be found. Though Yes does suffer from some lackluster recordings. Floyd undoubtedly reigns supreme.

Genesis was the first band I seriously got into, though that was the Collins years. As soon as I discovered the Gabriel years in college, I immediately changed allegiance.

I like ALL of these bands and artists you're discussing. It's really my path into film music.

I dig Rabin's work for Yes, for example, like the TALK album which was basically his baby (includes a guest appearance/songwriting credit by Roger Hodgson too, the former lead singer and writer of my favourite band Supertramp).

He, he...not a fan, are you?

That's fine. They're still the best art rock band ever.

As it happens, Rabin also returned the favour by playing/singing/co-writing on Roger Hodgson's last solo album OPEN THE DOOR (hard to believe it's been, like 13 years already!).

They're still the best art rock band ever.

No, that would be Roxy Music.

Not that I'm a massive fan of the genre, mind. More of a new wave/post-punk guy myself.

Well, there's definitely some good stuff there too. Oingo Boingo is my favourite -- for obvious reasons.

Not that I'm a massive fan of the genre, mind. More of a new wave/post-punk guy myself.

Well, there's definitely some good stuff there too. Oingo Boingo is my favourite -- for obvious reasons.

Of course. I like Oingo, but I prefer Devo myself. Other favourite bands from that era are The Stranglers (Hugh Cornwill era only), The Fall, The Cars, Ultravox, Joy Division/New Order, PSB, Scars, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, XTC, Art of Noise, Frankie, Tangerine Dream, Killing Joke, Talking Heads, Propaganda, Blondie, Ian Drury & The Blockheads, New York Dolls, Television, PiL etc.

Great period in pop.

You serious? Conan was set in a fictitious prehistory, while the Blues Brothers were simply trying to be annoying and insulting. Neither film, thirty years old now, purported to be a social commentary.

No, you are, believing a pair of 1980s flicks represents modern Hollywood values towards women.

When people ask you how you're doing, do you hand them a baby picture with a luscious head of hair and say you can't wait for your first tooth to appear? Or do you talk about something current?

The fact that in a 2013 discussion about female composers, someone posts two Youtube clips from the 80's because he thinks it's somehow relevant to the tone of the discussion means there is still a lot of progress to be made.

Well just don't blame Hollywood for the present plight of women based on generation old movies. Otherwise you'll be citing Schindler's List for contemporary treatment of Jews and recommending Gone with the Wind for anyone who visits the South.

At least we're back to talking about women instead of men wearing panties.

Of course. I like Oingo, but I prefer Devo myself. Other favourite bands from that era are The Stranglers (Hugh Cornwill era only), The Fall, The Cars, Ultravox, Joy Division/New Order, PSB, Scars, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, XTC, Art of Noise, Frankie, Tangerine Dream, Killing Joke, Talking Heads, Propaganda, Blondie, Ian Drury & The Blockheads, New York Dolls, Television, PiL etc.

Great period in pop.

Some truly great stuff in there, Prom. "Do It Yourself" is fantastic.

XTC rule!!! Never has a band produced such consistently great stuff. From the first album to "Apple Venus vol 2", the quality never let up.

Not many people even admit to liking Pet Shop Boys, so...well done. They are one of my top-5 bands. "Behaviour" is a beautiful record.

Which era TD do you like?

Not many people even admit to liking Pet Shop Boys, so...well done. They are one of my top-5 bands. "Behaviour" is a beautiful record.

Indeed. Though my personal favourite is Very.

I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing is one of the greatest love songs ever written.

Which era TD do you like?

Probably Phaedra to Exit.

BTW, I forgot to mention Talk Talk. Another of my favourites from that era. Favourite record? Colour of Spring. The Party's Over pretty one note and a bit too Flock of Seagulls/Tears for Fears at times, but Mirror Man's terrific. Love the string arrangement.

I also like Simple Minds before they went all MOR stadium rock. Hunter and the Hunted from their debut is a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyZVsy2KeWY