Williams to compose theme music for new Star Wars animated series?

Bilbo

How about Battle Of The Heroes?

No lyrics.

I believe there is one section where the choir chants Rahtamah although it is near inaudible. ;)

"Grievous are the deeds of the empire."

Yes those lyrics are featured either in Grievous Travels to Palpatine or Anakin's Dark Deeds.

Well, I haven't! "Song" means there's someone singing! If no one is singing, it's not a fucking song!

Not a fan of Mendelssohn?

Don't tell me that he also used the word song in his works contrary to the way we define it! For shame!

No, he just said he used Sanskrit again in the score and the pieces Incanus mentioned are the only spots where you hear any sort of chanting.

Karol

He said:

"You are going to hear a new choral piece, which does contain some references to Duel of the Fates, But most of it is entirely new, and its sanskrit, its a very simple line, "Grievous are the crimes of the empire" and thats what they sing, we will not know that, but thats what the message is."

But is it a song?

Songs are generally sung by one performer. As soon as you have a choir, you get hymns, chorales, chants, etc.

Incidentally, the misuse of "song" probably stems from the fact that the only kind of music most people actively listen to are popular songs of one brand or another. So when they have to describe something that's a self-contained bit of instrumental music, they reach for the most familiar word. "Piece", the most generic term in Western instrumental music, probably just doesn't occur to most people.

But is it a song?

Sanskrit pop ballad. With a small female backing chorus gently singing Korah and Rahtahmah (among other si bons si bons in there) while snapping fingers.

Karol

No, he just said he used Sanskrit again in the score and the pieces Incanus mentioned are the only spots where you hear any sort of chanting.

Karol

He said:

"You are going to hear a new choral piece, which does contain some references to Duel of the Fates, But most of it is entirely new, and its sanskrit, its a very simple line, "Grievous are the crimes of the empire" and thats what they sing, we will not know that, but thats what the message is."

The sheet music attests that there is no sanskrit phrase in the piece besides rahtamah Faleel!

Songs are generally sung by one performer. As soon as you have a choir, you get hymns, chorales, chants, etc.

Rather, one (or a limited number) of solo voices. A duet is still a song, and background singers also don't change that. :)

Where can you actually hear Rahtahmah in BOTH, Inc?

Karol

It is rather difficult to hear the phrase but it is about 1:26 into the piece where the choir sings aaaahh but then segues into ra-tah-ma. As I said very difficult to spot because of the way the elements are balanced.

Rather, one (or a limited number) of solo voices. A duet is still a song, and background singers also don't change that. :)

Sure, but I think generally we call songs sung by more than one solo performer by its more technical name, so duet, trio, quartet, etc. The sextet in the opera Lucia di Lammermoor is technically a song, but we all refer to it as the sextet. And with background singers, their name says it all - since they're in the background, our focus is on the (usually) solo singer in the foreground. Of course you're right about these cases, but the solo voice is probably more frequently attached to people's usage of the term "song".

Sure, but I think generally we call songs sung by more than one solo performer by its more technical name, so duet, trio, quartet, etc. The sextet in the opera Lucia di Lammermoor is technically a song, but we all refer to it as the sextet. And with background singers, their name says it all - since they're in the background, our focus is on the (usually) solo singer in the foreground. Of course you're right about these cases, but the solo voice is probably more frequently attached to people's usage of the term "song".

In this case, my comment was more about the modern pop usage of the term. I'd say a duet (for voices) is a special type of song, but I usually wouldn't refer to it as a song.

But to complicate the whole matter, there are also things like choral songs...

In this case, my comment was more about the modern pop usage of the term. I'd say a duet (for voices) is a special type of song, but I usually wouldn't refer to it as a song.

But to complicate the whole matter, there are also things like choral songs...

Agreed on both counts. :up: