Dreamworks To Remake Ghost In A Shell Into A Live Action Movie

A24

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yes, we've already established your are picking nits at my word choice.  What is your point?  I already explained to you want the intention of my post was.

Again:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

"I would think it is likely to leak - but you know what?  Surprising, Age of Ultron still has not, so perhaps this similar situation of a score [A last minute partial replacement by another composer] will not leak either".

Apparently this film is a bomb, $11mil opening weekend in the US, third place by behind Boss Baby and BATB

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2017&wknd=13&p=.htm

Then again, maybe it will be a huge hit outside of the US.

Wow, Lucy made $43 mil in its opening weekend, ouch.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never actually talked about Ghost In The Shell's score at all, since I have no interest in it (I've never heard a single score by either composer in my life).

You've never heard The Fountain?  Dude...

I've seen films scored by Mansell, and films scored by Balfe, but I have never sat down and listened to a Mansell or Balfe album, no.

Totally randomly, my wife was listening to some streaming service today on a channel playing music from Legion, and a Mansell cue from High Rise came on, and she said it sounded like Harry Potter

Mansell puts in some great work, especially with Darin Aronofsky, whose preferences appear to play right into Mansell's strengths.  I might only like one or two of Aronofsky's movies, but the scores are all great.

I haven't heard any of Balfe's scores (except ones where he was an "additional music" guy), but I've heard good things about his LEGO Batman score from earlier this year.

I loved Requiem for a Dream (the film) back in the day; I haven't seen it in, I dunno, 15 years - I wonder what current me will think of it if I watch it again.  I remember the powerful performances and feeling of uneasiness as they reach the depths of their addictions still

Sadly, outside of that film, Aaronofsky hasn't done much for me.  I rented Pi after loving Requiem and.. I guess didn't get it?    When he finally had a followup film six years later in The Fountain, I didn't even see it in the theater and watched it at home and.... it didn't make a lot of sense and hasn't stuck with me at all.  I liked Black Swan, but it was also one of the first dates I ever had with my now wife so everything was rosy back then.  Would I liked it if I saw it again?  I never saw Noah.

I haven't seen the film in many years, but I do still listen to the OST with some regularity (as in more than once a year) and I can say that the score definitely holds up.

Black Swan is the only one that I can definitively say that I loved. It hit me in a weird place at the time, as I was right in the worst part of an eating disorder and some coexisting depression.  I don't think I'd dare rewatch it now, not that I tend to rewatch much anyway.   I haven't seen Pi or The Wrestler, but Requiem and The Fountain were not for me.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Requiem

I've certainly listened to the cue that got remixed and put into all those trailers back in the day a bunch of times, but don't remember anything about the rest of the score

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Black Swan is the only one that I can definitively say that I loved. It hit me in a weird place at the time, as I was right in the worst part of an eating disorder and some coexisting depression.  I don't think I'd dare rewatch it now, not that I tend to rewatch much anyway.   I haven't seen Pi or The Wrestler, but Requiem and The Fountain were not for me.

Oh right, I knew I forgot one - The Wrestler; I never saw that one either.  That's supposed to be really good, right?

I've heard from a number of people that The Wrestler is great, but I've heard the same thing about Requiem, The Fountain, etc.  So I've tempered my expectations for recommendations like that.

He also did one about Noah's Ark a few years ago, but nobody saw it then and nobody ever will see it.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The Fountain is awesome (film and score).

I really do want to watch that film again some day, for sure.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

He also did one about Noah's Ark a few years ago, but nobody saw it then and nobody ever will see it.

Yes, I mentioned Noah up above.

I was temped because Jennifer Connelly, but then didn't end up ever tracking it down.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

More posts have been made to this thread than people have seen Ghost in the Shell.  I hope this heartens the filmmakers.

Hahaha!

I will see GITS eventually, maybe in the theater, I dunno.  The problem now that it bombed is that I probably only have 12 or 19 days left to see it before it isn't playing near me any more

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I will see GITS eventually, maybe in the theater, I dunno.  The problem now that it bombed is that I probably only have 12 or 19 days left to see it before it isn't playing near me any more

We got some Smurfs, Fast/Furious, and Guardians coming out in the next few weeks.  Expect Scarlett to get bumped sooner rather than later.

We're both saying the exact same thing.  if I want to see GITS in the theater, I should go this week or next.

Since I also want to see Get Out in the theater, that could make a good two-fer if the times line up.

I saw GET OUT earlier today. Has some interesting features, but ultimately the play on genre clichées and predictable "twists" came up short. Worth seeing, but it's not going to feature on any of my top lists. GITS was a much better movie, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Have you seen/Are you planning to see the anime, Thor?

I've seen it twice or three times, I think. First twice on VHS (at a friend's house) in the 90s, and then once again a few years ago when we were doing a 'best of 90s' list. It's a great film, and far more philosophically and narratively complex compared to this live action version, but the LOOK of the new film is more stunning. Plus, since it's easier to follow the plot in this one, you get more involved in the characters and the action. I have a more detached experience with the animé.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've seen it twice or three times, I think. First twice on VHS (at a friend's house) in the 90s, and then once again a few years ago when we were doing a 'best of 90s' list. It's a great film, and far more philosophically and narratively complex compared to this live action version, but the LOOK of the new film is more stunning. Plus, since it's easier to follow the plot in this one, you get more involved in the characters and the action.

Ok, this is basically what I was expecting. Sounds fine to me!

Not really. You could always tell that Jeri Ryan was clothed. These Ghost trailers are the closest thing to a nude ScarJo I'd ever expect to see on TV. 

17 hours ago, mstrox said:

I've heard from a number of people that The Wrestler is great, but I've heard the same thing about Requiem, The Fountain, etc.  So I've tempered my expectations for recommendations like that.

The Wrestler is a much more standard film than his more abstract work. I believe originally his script was about a wrestler and a ballerina falling in love, but it was split up and made into The Wrestler and Black Swan instead. The narrative arc of both films is exactly the same, but The Wrestler is just a simple engaging human story with good acting.

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I love Requiem most when it goes into full-on panicked horror mode.  Basically "Winter Overture" - "Meltdown" (tracks 25-31).

I used to play this exact portion on repeat while I would write. Great stuff.

17 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I can understand why someone who didn't understand what was going on wouldn't like it. Personally, when I first watched, for the first 20 minutes or so, I was like: "What the heck am I watching?", but as the story unfolded, I was more and more invested in it, and by the end, I loved it, even if I didn't understand everything I saw. I then checked a few analyses online which helped me understand it better and I loved it even more (it is similar in some aspects to Cloud Atlas, but better put together). It's definitely worth watching a second time to get a better sense of what is going on (perhaps you should also read some analyses before rewatching it to appreciate more all the details in it).

The Fountain is an infinitely rewarding film, one of my favorites. Caught it randomly on TV one day after it had already started and immediately bought it so I could see it from the beginning. It's not nearly as complicated as Cloud Atlas, but even after watching it so many times, I still catch visual details that I never noticed before. Aronofsky does a fantastic job with the parallel structure between the three storylines, which really are just continuations of each other. It's ultimately about a man dealing with death and loss, but with a fantastic juxtaposition to the past and the future.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Looks like this is doing rather well in Japan. They probably don't care about the whitewashing and cultural appropriation as an all to vocal segment of lefty-America does.

You mean China right?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=ghostintheshell2017.htm