William Friedkin's Favorite Films

Mr. Brown

It's too much of a story movie. I know what lies behind the door now.

Next!

images_zps02da442f.jpg

Your holy water tricks have no effect on me ...

Oops ... wrong franchise

Alex

William Friedkin has always come off as a complete cunt to me, especially after what he did with THE FRENCH CONNECTION Blu-Ray release (not consulting DP Owen Roizman) - plus throwing Lalo Schifrin's rejected score for THE EXORCIST out in the parking lot, two days into the recording sessions. This interview does little to change that.

As for his choices of films? Predictable.

Everyone who predicted 'Z' is a liar. Sorry. Also, where were the often cited clichés like the Kubricks or the Spielbergs?

William Friedkin has always come off as a complete cunt to me, especially after what he did with THE FRENCH CONNECTION Blu-Ray release (not consulting DP Owen Roizman) - plus throwing Lalo Schifrin's rejected score for THE EXORCIST out in the parking lot, two days into the recording sessions. This interview does little to change that.

As for his choices of films? Predictable.

To be fair, the latest release of The French Connection fixed all those issues.

I'll never forget what Friedkin said.

The Blu-ray of The French Connection is the best print that’s ever been made of that picture, because of the process itself. Owen was not invited to be involved in the making of the Blu-ray or the DVD or the print… it was never my intention to make a dirty or grainy print of The French Connection or to pepetutate it in the new medium. The colours are Blu-ray because the Blu-ray laser reads closer to the disc… the colour is richer. The film loosk a little colder. But that’s because of the nature of the process and my taste… it is by far the best print ever made of The French Connection… [Roizman] happens to be wrong. You’re hearing this from the director of the film.

Heheheheh, when Ridley Scott did exactly the same with the Final Cut of Blade Runner, the whole world cheered. Did Ridley Scott consult Jordan Cronenweth? No siree Bob, he didn't! ;) And when asked about it, Scott or the FC's spokesman and producer Charles de Lauzirika says the film has never been properly color-graded and that the 'new' (colder) tint is how Ridley wanted it to be in 1982.

It's the modern times, my friends! They now have the (digital) technology and they will use it! Fashion and trends do play a role. It's the same for the remastering of music but that doesn't seem to be a big problem for most people.

Alex

Not surprised to hear Friedkin's a KKK apologist, either. THE FRENCH CONNECTION for all its strengths (including Don Ellis's sublime score), is racially problematic.

It's what makes it feel realistic.

Does showing racism on film always mean the director is himself a racist?

If there's no challenging viewpoint, the director is complicit in propagating an ideology, intentionally or not. Watching this interview, I can't help suspect that Friedkin is at least sympathetic to certain racist ideas (some perhaps biological/genetic) on African-Americans and crime.

Edit: MISSISSIPPi BURNING is 10 times more repugnant, though I've never been an Alan Parker fan. One of British cinema/advertising's dullest exports. Sure, Adrian Lyne and Tony Scott were hacks, but at least they had style.

Does showing racism on film always mean the director is himself a racist?

If there's no challenging viewpoint, the director is complicit in propagating an ideology, intentionally or not. Watching this interview, I can't help suspect that Friedkin is at least sympathetic to certain racist ideas (some perhaps biological/genetic) on African-Americans and crime.

Like with so many anti-heroes of the seventies, the character (Popeye Doyle) is racist because he's flawed. He's not politically correct, he's not perfect. He's just human. And as we learned from watching the news, in the real world, cops can be very racist. Creating a "challenging viewpoint", which means the movie itself will eventually condemn its own characters, is nothing but morally preachy and belittling to the audience. The best movies leave it to the viewer to be judgemental or not, to approve or to disapprove, or to form our own opinion.

Alex

I disagree with Sharky. There's no requirement for a director who depicts racism (or any prejudice) to have a challenging viewpoint as a part of the narrative. Much of film and characterisation is about observation, about showing the reality.

You sound a little self-rightous here Shark. Do you get offended on behalf of others?

Depends who the other person is. I tend to be one who sticks up for others, not in a patronizing sense, just helping out the underdog. I've always identified with Thomas Hardy's Jude Fawley.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you and Alex on this one. I'm not asking for Sesame Street, just something a bit more self-aware. In that sense (although it's the weaker film), I prefer Frankenheimer's sequel. It places Doyle in a situation where his prejudices are confronted head-on. The delirium/confession scenes are some of the finest from Hackman's career. Should've been nominated for an Oscar.

Not surprised to hear Friedkin's a KKK apologist, either.

:blink: (when did that happen?)

Just my two cents: in this case, for all the racism spewed by "Popeye" Doyle in the film, I think we can rest assured that William Friedkin is not sympathetic to racist ideas on African-Americans and crime. In fact, during this recent Q&A he mentions inviting more women, Afro-Americans, and radicals to participate in the Academy Awards ceremony he produced, culminating in the anecdote about Richard Pryor staring at the camera and saying no black man had ever won an Oscar for anything.