The Fellowship of the Ring Live To Projection - Concertgebouw, Grote Zaal July 9 2014

You created this thread 5 days ago, and you said it was moved quickly after being created and that you realized that immediatly, so why are you talking about yesterday? You're not making any sense!

Wow I would have loved to seen this. Legendary orchestra in a legendary space playing legendary music.

But what's with that seating arrangement??? Unacceptable!

Horns and trumpets/trombones/tuba should have a much wider gap between them, the basses should be on the left where the harp/celesta are, and don't even get me started on the rest of the strings!

Well considering this is the Concertgebouw, one of the 3 best and famous venues for orchestral music I am pretty sure they have their seating arrangement very well sorted.

Nothing is left to chance in their preservation of perfect acoustics, the hall doesn't even have a sprinkler system.

Actually checked some pictures of the Royal Concert Gebouw Orchestra, the basses seem to be on the right in all of them. So I'm guessing that's their preferred set up.

[edit] just checked my pics of the BPO concert I attended. Again basses on the right.

Isnt that pretty standard for a symphony orchestra?

Oh, yeah it's standard, but inferior!

Shore uses the older seating arrangement, with the basses and first violins on the left, the second violins on the right, the celli in the left-center, and violas in the right-center. It's integral to the sound of his scores, and in my humble opinion is the ideal orchestral layout. Agrees with my ears far more than having the violins all lumped together.

It's ultimately the conductor's choice, which is why it's surprising that here they haven't ventured to preserve the aesthetic of the original recordings.

Yeah the choir/vocalists/soloists were sometimes overdubbed, but the core orchestral group was always in the room together. The point is that Shore has talked about using specific orchestral seating as an important aesthetic choice in crafting the scores, so I just think that should be honored. It really isn't difficult at all to do it.

Shore is very sensitive to both the orchestra and the recording venue he is using.

What might work for the NPO and that cathedral may not work as well for another group and venue.

Also the films dialogue and SFX are playing with the orchestra. There's only so much details you can pick up.

Meh.

Apples and oranges.

That's a pretty good analogy, actually. Can you imagine if a fruit seller put apples and oranges on the left, the strawberries on the right, the pineapples in the left-center, and cherries in the right-center? Yeah, you'd go bananas if you saw that!

Yeah, sure you win haha.

I just don't actually care much/didn't expect to have such a protracted discussion about my orchestral seating preferences.

If you'd like me to care, I'll ask you who/what the NPO is, what cathedral you are talking about, and if the fact that dialogue/sound effects sometimes cover up the score means we should stop giving a damn at all how about a score's recording sounds.

Horns and trumpets/trombones/tuba should have a much wider gap between them, the basses should be on the left where the harp/celesta are, and don't even get me started on the rest of the strings!

It's a Dutch setup!

Karol

By the way, I noticed a difference between the LOTR Symphony and the FOTR live to projection concerts.

In the performance of the symphony I saw in Belgium years ago the solo vocal part of Khazad Dum, after Gandalf's fall was sung by the boy soprano, but in last weeks concert it was done by the female soloist.

Is this standard?

No, I think these things change from concert to concert. Same thing happened with The Matrix, for example. It Stuttgart they had female soloist, in Krakow - two boy sopranos.

Karol