A wee plea...

Yoda Longbottom

Around the time of releasing "Angela's Ashes" score/movie, there was an interview I found where John Williams speaks of his favorite film scores, among which David Raksin's "Laura" was, if memory serves, his most favorite--but I lost the printed copy of the article so I can't back this. Or it may be he'd said he would have liked to score the movie "Laura" had it been possible. Anyway, either way, has anyone heard the score to "Laura"? I would like to know anyone's opinion on that. I have a link to a person from abroad who could sell it to me... (it's on a CD together with Bernard Herrmann's "Jane Eyre", but the guy wants too much for it for me to buy it without knowing a bit more about it....) So if anyone could help, I'd be grateful. Even a link to samples would do... Morn? Hlao-roo? Anyone.....?

Thank you.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoda,

You may be able to track down a CD that David Raksin conducted with the National Philharmonic Orchestra, released on CD by RCA Victor. It was sort of part of the series of classic film scores conducted by Charles Gerhardt, but not conducted by him if you see what I mean.

It has the theme from Laura as well as music from Raksin's Forever Amber and The Bad and the Beautiful (also very good) . This may be a better bet as you can then decide if you like it or not (I am sure you will :mrgreen: ) .

The music is very languid and quite jazzy. The theme for Laura was very popular at the time of the movie's release and in fact many people will still be able to hum the tune. Words were added to it and many different artists recorded it. The first line (if I remember correctly) is:

"Laura is the face in the misty light."

Arthur Fiedler recorded a decent version with the Boston Pops. Here is a link showing what is on the CD:

www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8588/reviews/raksin_rca.html

Damien

There is a rather nice story about David Raksin's inspiration for the famous theme for Laura.

Both Alfred Newman and Bernard Herrmann had turned down the assignment due to its troubled production history, so it was left to Raksin to write the music. Director Otto Preminger had tried unsuccessfully to license Gershwin's Summertime as the theme tune, so went instead for Duke Ellington's Sophisticated Lady. However, Raksin was reluctant to use this and persuaded Preminger to let him come up with something original over the weekend. Raksin struggled and struggled to come up with something appropriate until he opened a 'Dear John' letter from his lady friend (i.e. he had been dumped).

Raksin turned to the piano and out came the theme for Laura. A nice story for all those who have ever been 'kicked to the kerb'.

Damien - whose first love, coincidentally, was a girl called Laura :mrgreen:

Hasn't Williams recorded a violin adaption on the second Cinema Serenade album?

Marian - who might just be imagining this.  :?

And also on the "Unforgettable" Boston Pops cd (that time the concert version arranged by Raksin himself)

And yes, Williams stated more than once that he loves this tune, and that would have loved to have written it himself.

Damien - whose first love, coincidentally, was a girl called Laura  :)

Hey !! She was MY first love too !! :)

I must admit the idea of listening to samples from sonyclassical's Cinema Serenade album hadn't stricken me. Laura is available there in a sampled clip, among others. I want it. I want it bad...! Shame Czech gals don't wear beautiful names such as Laura. If they were as beautiful as is the theme, I'd be married after my very first date probably.

:)

Both Unforgettable and The Golden Age albums are together with Green Album on my wish-list perhaps since 2000 and I haven't still bumped upon a copy anywhere. So I might follow Damien's proposal.

Thank you very much everyone for helping me out off inconclusiveness! Thank you, you may have just saved me a lot of money I would have otherwise fed my above mentioned "e-friend" with...

Roman.-)

Hehe...

concerning Raksin' Laura Theme... 2 or 3 years ago, I found on a website on the internet (wasn't it yours, Michael Andrade ?) a collection of mp3 files from one of williams' concert including Hook suite, TPM suite...

there was also on this concert a rendition of Laura.

Contact me if you want this mp3.

Check your PM when you have time. I've never PMed anyone before so it may have not worked the way I prayed it would. If your inbox is empty, let me know and I will make a remedy.

Roman.-)

Hehe...

concerning Raksin' Laura Theme... 2 or 3 years ago, I found on a website on the internet (wasn't it yours, Michael Andrade ?) a collection of mp3 files from one of williams' concert including Hook suite, TPM suite...

there was also on this concert a rendition of Laura.

No, it wasn't. It was s site that hosted those files, but as far as I know it's off-line.

John Williams: I would have loved to have scored Laura becouse I love the music. It?s an example when the melody and theme really permiates the characters. I should also say that David Raskin did a superb job in the 1944 film.

I've heard it in the film and it is very good (a great film btw, if you like a good detective film like Minority Report go see it). Also I've heard the Williams violin version.

I found a CD that contains a suite of it at this url.

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.asp?pf...=1036815&cc=USDAnd here is a sample from that site. :)

http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muze.down....asx?obj=v21022

I do suggest you get the Williams version though.