Will Williams win the Grammy?

Trumpeteer

The awards are on Sunday. He's nominated for two awards: Best Instrumental Composition and Best Score Soundtrack. Here are the nominees in case you forgot:

Score Soundtrack:

* A Beautiful Mind, James Horner

* Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone, John Williams

* The Lord Of The Rings ? The Fellowship Of The Ring, Howard Shore

* Monsters, Inc., Randy Newman

* Spider-Man, Danny Elfman

Instrumental Composition:

* Hedwig's Theme, John Williams, Track from: Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone ? Soundtrack

* Inspiration, Kenny Werner, Track from: Toots Thielemans & Kenny Werner

* The Ride Of The Doors, Randy Newman, Track from: Monsters, Inc. ? Soundtrack

* Signs ? Main Titles, James Newton Howard, Track from: Signs ? Score Soundtrack

* Six Feet Under Title Theme, Thomas Newman, Track from: Six Feet Under ? Music From The HBO Original Series (Various Artists)

My pick is Howard Shore for the score category, since he won the Oscar and the list includes 4 of the 5 Oscar nominees from last year. "Hedwig's Theme" is so wonderful that people can't deny Williams this one. I hope to see his name on TV.

Jeff -- who will probably not watch the show ... too boring

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will he? I don't know. He should, in any case. If not he, then Shore, but I keep saying, Shore deserved the Oscar, but Williams deserves the Grammy.

Marian - wondering why the Main Titles from Signs have been nominated, and not Hand of Fate Pt. 2.

"Hedwigs Theme" should win for Best Composition, hands down. But its a tossup between Potter and Rings for the best score Grammy. I tend not to worry over the Grammies though. I love when Williams is nominated or wins, but the Grammies have justly recognized Williams' genius. The Oscars haven't. If the Academy had rewarded Williams for at least two of the following scores: Superman, Empire Strikes Back, and Raiders in addition to his other Oscar wins, then I would say the Academy had justly recognized him. But they haven't and Williams needs a couple more Oscars on his shelf in my opinion.

I think we can all agree that Williams should have one for Superman, Raiders, and Empire. As we all can see, it's not always the best score which wins; it's whatever score happens to be the most popular that year. Looking back, voters can see these three scores made an undeniable mark on film scoring and even society. But oh well, what do we know, we're only fans. :)

~Harry

Ah the Grammies... They make absolutely no sense to me. Isn't it true that they have upward of 100 award categories now? I'm sorry, but that really strains credibility and greatly diminishes the worth of a win. I know the American music industry is huge, but aren't they just giving these things away now? And to further add to their irrelevance, the Grammies are awarded to some works that are more than a year old! Of the best Score nominations this year, only one was eligible for this year's Academy Awards (the other four were all nominated last year in recognition of work produced the year before that!).

As for seeing Williams at the televisied award ceremony, isn't it a sad fact that they don't actually include 'minor awards' like instrumental composition during the main awards ceremony? Well it's sad because we won't get to see Williams accept an award if he wins, but probably not so sad to miss the umpteenth award presentation for the likes of Best Traditional Instrumental Folk Rock (Alternative) Album. They'll probably just hand out these awards from a big hessian sack in the alley out the back. The first nominee to get there, gets the award. I can just imagine Thomas and Randy Newman ganging up on James Newton Howard amidst the mud and garbage cans, each trying to get some 'critical' recognition at last.

CYPHER - who'll nonetheless be watching the award show this Monday night if for nothing else than the horrendous fashion and inevitable auto-cue mix-ups (heck, if actors can't even memorise what they're supposed to say before hand, how are musicians supposed to do any better?).

to tell you the truth, i hope that williams doesn't win the grammy at all, because that would mean he gets thrown into the same category as all the britney spears and nsyncs. the grammys do not mean anything at all to me. they are awarded to whoever gets the most airtime plays every half-hour, not on quality. (although i do think that coldplay deserves to win. - just my unsolicited opinion.)

what we need is a film music industry awards.

williams will not win in the best score,

but he will win best instrumental composition

to tell you the truth, i hope that williams doesn't win the grammy at all, because that would mean he gets thrown into the same category as all the britney spears and nsyncs.  

what we need is a film music industry awards.

Williams already has about 10 Grammys right now, so based on your statement, he is in the same category as Britney and NSync.

And I beleieve there is a music industry award that puts heavy emphasis on film music. I think it's run by BMI or ASCAP, whichever one. The only time I heard of this was when Marc Shaiman and Trey Parker won some industry award for "South Park."

Will Williams win? Nope FOTR takes the cake for score. And Six Feet Under (Thomas Newman) wins for best Composition.

Bugger. :)

Justin -Who thinks many people at the grammys have serious brain problems. (even if williams won it would be true :P )

What'd everyone think of the NY Philharmonic? They and Mr. Kamen were the only redeeming factor to that Coldplay song. It's great that they were there, though. Maybe there will be more of the good stuff next year.

~Conor

Yeah but unfortunately John Leguizamo (spelling?) made an embarrassment out of himself. Leonard Bernstein is probably rolling over in his grave. :)

Why do they always pick the buffoons to introduce moments like that?

The eligibility period for this year's Grammy was Sept. 1, 2001 to Aug., 31, 2002. So expect the The Two Towers, Catch Me If You Can and other scores released in late 2002 to appear on the list next time.

I'm actually not too upset about the score related Grammy wins. Howard Shore was expected to win, I'm glad Randy Newman got the song award, and I hope the luck for Thomas Newman extends to the Oscars! (That doesn't mean I'm not rooting for Williams to win!)

Also, I think Eminem's performance of "Lose Yourself" at the Grammys supremely helps its chances at the Oscars. U2 won't be seen or heard between now and March 23, and it's likely "Lose Yourself" will get a good deal of radioplay. Though I am worried for the ABC sensors. Eminem performed the profanity-laden version of the song at the Grammys, which might mean he won't back down and sing the clean version at the Oscars. I hope he at least decides to perform.

For what category Ren?

Here is a list of some of the category's. :)

Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "Standing in the Shadows of Motown," Various Artists.

Score Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," Howard Shore, composer.

Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "If I Didn't Have You," Randy Newman, songwriter, track from "Monsters, Inc."

Classical Album: "Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (Sym. No. 1)," Robert Spano, conductor, Norman Mackenzie, chorus director.

Orchestral Performance: "Mahler: Symphony No. 6," Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor (San Francisco Sym.).

Opera Recording: "Wagner: Tannhauser," Daniel Barenboim, conductor; Jane Eaglen, Thomas Hampson, Waltraud Meier, Rene Pape and Peter Seiffert; Christoph Classen, producer (Chor der Deutschen Staatsoper Berlin; Staatskapelle Berlin).

Choral Performance: "Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (Sym. No. 1)," Robert Spano, conductor; Norman Mackenzie, chorus director (Christine Goerke, soprano; Brett Polegato, baritone; Atlanta Sym. Orch. Cho.; Atlanta Sym. Orch.).

Instrumental Soloist(s) Performance (with Orchestra): "Brahms/Stravinsky: Violin Concertos," Neville Marriner, conductor; Hilary Hahn, violin (Academy of St. Martin in the Fields).

Instrumental Soloist Performance (without Orchestra): "Chopin: Etudes, Op. 10 & Op. 25," Murray Perahia, piano.

Chamber Music Performance: "Beethoven: String Quartets ("Razumovsky" Op. 59, 1-3; "Harp" Op. 74)," Takacs Quartet.

Small Ensemble Performance (with or without Conductor): "Tavener: Lamentations and Praises Joseph Jennings, conductor; Chanticleer (Handel & Haydn Society of Boston).

Classical Vocal Performance: "Bel Canto (Bellini, Donizetti, Rossini, etc.)," Renee Fleming, soprano.

Classical Contemporary Composition: "Tavener: Lamentations and Praises," John Tavener (Chanticleer; Joseph Jennings; Handel & Haydn Society of Boston).

Classical Crossover Album: "Previn Conducts Korngold (Sea Hawk; Captain Blood, etc.)," Andre Previn, conductor (London Sym. Orch.).

Engineered Album, Classical: "Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (Sym. No. 1)," Michael Bishop, engineer (Robert Spano & Norman Mackenzie).

Producer Of The Year, Classical: Robert Woods.

Musical Show Album: "Hairspray."

Instrumental Composition: "Six Feet Under Title Theme," Thomas Newman, composer (Thomas Newman), from "Six Feet Under."

Instrumental Arrangement: "Six Feet Under Title Theme," Thomas Newman, arranger (Thomas Newman), from "Six Feet Under".

Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s): "Mean Old Man," Dave Grusin, arranger (James Taylor), from "October Road".

Justin - :(

I believe I mentioned that a good while ago. :)

Will Williams win? Nope FOTR takes the cake for score. And Six Feet Under (Thomas Newman) wins for best Composition.

Justin - :mrgreen:

I believe I mentioned that a good while ago. :)  

Justin - :)

I know ya did. I just felt like mentioning it again!

I was really surprised when I heard that. I wonder if John will ever reach 20 wins?

He still has time to do so!

Santana has won more than Williams -- and he did it in one night!

So have Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, I believe. There are countless others. Winning more than one Grammy is nothing, kind of like the Emmys. That's why no one makes a big deal about it. Whereas Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson and John Williams always lead in stories about Oscars.

Jeff -- who thinks the Oscars are much less confusing than the Grammys

Santana has won more than Williams -- and he did it in one night!

So have Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, I believe. There are countless others. Winning more than one Grammy is nothing, kind of like the Emmys. That's why no one makes a big deal about it. Whereas Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson and John Williams always lead in stories about Oscars.  

Jeff -- who thinks the Oscars are much less confusing than the Grammys

Neither Carlos Santana (winning eight in one night by itself gets him less than half the number Williams has) nor Michael Jackson has won more Grammys than John Williams.

And Whitney Houston has won only five.

I'm blaming my total stupidity on my current illness.

Of course JW has won 17 times! :oops: ;) banghead ;)

"That was stupid of me, I know better than that. That'll never happen again."

I'm blaming my total stupidity on my current illness.

Of course JW has won 17 times!  :oops:  :fouetaa:  banghead  :shakehead:  

"That was stupid of me, I know better than that. That'll never happen again."

Actually, he's won 18 times. :)

1. Jaws  (1975) [best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion

Picture]  

2. Star Wars  (1977) [best Pop Instrumental Performance]  

3. Main Title from Star Wars  (1977) [best Instrumental Composition]  

4. Star Wars  (1977) [best Album of Original Score Written for a

Motion Picture]  

5. Theme from Close Encounters of the Third Kind  (1978) [best

Instrumental Composition]  

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind  (1978) [best Album of Original

Score Written for a Motion Picture]  

7. Main Title Theme from Superman  (1979) [best Instrumental

Composition]  

8. Superman  (1979) [best Album of Original Score Written for a

Motion Picture]  

9. The Empire Strikes Back  (1980) [best Instrumental Composition]  

10. The Empire Strikes Back  (1980) [best Album of Original Score

Written for a Motion Picture]  

11. Raiders of the Lost Ark  (1981) [best Album of Original Score

Written for a Motion Picture]  

12. "Flying" (Theme from E.T.) (1982) [best Instrumental

Composition]  

13. E.T.  (1982) [best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion

Picture]  

14. "Flying" (Theme from E.T.) (1982) [best Arrangement on

an Instrumental Recording]  

15. Olympic Fanfare and Theme (1984) [best Instrumental Composition]  

16. Schindler's List   (1994) [instrumental Composition for a Motion

Picture or Television]

17. Saving Private Ryan  (1998) [best Instrumental Composition

Written For A Motion Picture Or For Television]

18. Theme from Angela's Ashes  (2000) [best Instrumental Composition]

I think John just might win the Grammy this year. I guess will know on last Sunday. ;)