BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Giancarlo looks like he hasn't aged a day!

And very cool to see Gilligan back directing an episode. I can't remember if he's directed any since the Pilot.

We almost finally started watching Man In The High Castle, but ended up on LEGION instead, which is quite good.  Now I'm not sure if High Castle, Fargo, or Bates Motel will be next, and we still want to try The Americans again someday too

Well shows airing new episodes means we watch that 1 episode that week, then for the other 6 nights go back to whatever entire season we're working through.  So currently we watch Homeland on Mondays after the new episode airs on Sundays, then the rest of the week its working our way through Legion season 1.

Five episodes into season two of BSC. Extremely slow burn, up to the point where I really want things to pick up a bit. But undeniable the story of Jimmy McGill's descent into Saul Goodman remains captivating.

Interesting that after the seemingly spur of the moment transformation at the end of season one Jimmy thought about things, changed his mind and starts to work for Davis and Main. Which seems like a dream job, it would have been for the level-headed and team-player Kim. But the sterile, by the book environment of a law firm led by Ed Begley Jr. seriously craps Slippin' Jimmy's style. So he takes risks he really doesnt have to take.

Most interesting at this point is the difference between Jimmy and Kim. One going from one little plan to another trying to fast-track things with a little innocent scheming, while the other puts in the work, and deals with the consequences head on. It's clear why both are drawn towards each other, it's also clear why it will ultimately never work between them. Rhea Seehorn is superb in this, and the deepening of her character is so far the season highlight.

Mike is there also, of course. So far his story is almost completely separate from the main one. And for the most part it's dependable old noir tropes about an "honourable" criminal trying to establish himself for the sake of his family's financial well being. While consistently solid, mainly because anything Jonathan Banks does on screen is automatically watchable, it sort of seems to lack the edge it should have. Possible a result of trying to do this storytelling in a show that right now is more focused with law rather then meth.

Right now the two storylines do little to compliment each other. Which may be intentional, or may simply be an unavoidable hurdle.

My guess it that will change, and watching Banks slowly drink a cup of coffee in the mean time is something I have little trouble with.

Also, a special shout out right now to Chuck, who went from being Judas Iscariot last season to being something far less so.

Usually the inherent flaw of doing a prequel is that we already know what will happen. In BSC it actually helps that we know Jimmy's future.

Jimmy is a wonderful, endearing even lovable character (Odenkirk really does a great job). It's almost natural to root for him like we did for Walt once. But we know Chuck is right, and we know why Kim is hesitant.

Good stuff.

It's a slow burn but very rewarding the further along it goes, especially the latter half of season 2 (the show really hits its strides leading up to the finale).

Kim and Chuck are definitely the highlights of the season, acting wise and just interesting story / character wise.  It is actually extremely hard to play the character Kim is written as: What I mean is, its really hard to make someone who LIKES Jimmy, and puts up with his shenanigans, AND wants to remain a completely on the up lawyer herself, and Rhea Seehorn does it expertly every week - a true pleasure to watch.  Same with Chuck, Michael McKean so perfectly walks the line between loving Jimmy and hating Jimmy, wanting the best for Jimmy and wanting to take Jimmy down.  The scenes between the two of them are the highlights in a show full of highlights all the time.

Another character that really shines this season is Howard Hamlin, I love the way the show makes you change your mind about him as it goes on, it is brilliantly done.

And yes, Jonathan Banks is infinitely watchable as Mike Ehrmantraut, but his storyline is by far my least favorite aspect of the season, though it gets interesting at the very end of course.

I just cannot wait for Season 3!

It's especially well done considering we know, or assume, that both these characters will not be part of Jimmy's "Saul" years. 

I can't see either maintaining any sort of a relationship with Jimmy after he crosses over to the Dark Side, so to speak.

I couldn't give a rats ass about the Sandpiper case. But those characters interest me.

The sandpiper stuff definitely gets interesting.  Another aspect of the show I love is seeing how hard of a worker Jimmy is.  It may seem odd to say, but if you think about it you don't actually tend to see people busting their ass at their jobs in TV shows and movies.  And in Breaking Bad, you really never saw him busting ass, you more often found him seeking the easiest way to get things done.

But in this prequel, you really get the feeling that Jimmy really, truly is a hard working, dedicated person, who is just unable to escape his own demons, especially because Chuck won't let him.  I think that Chuck will primarily be what makes Jimmy become Saul, and its the opposite of what Chuck wants for Jimmy, but exactly what Chuck EXPECTS from Jimmy.  Its fascinating stuff.

And yes, there is an inherent sadness to all Jimmy/Kim scenes, because you know their relationship ultimately won't work out, as she's never seen or mentioned in Breaking Bad.  But since we're still 6 years away from Walter White's 50th birthday, there's so much about their relationship that can be explored before it ends.

Actually the last one I just watched had Kim busting her ass, doing the boring paperwork, and trying to get back into Howards good books. Like Jimmy she's a hard worker, but unlike him she's not always looking for a short-cut, or a quick way out.

Also noticed an interesting parallel between Jimmy and Mike.

Jimmy is trying to be a good guy but his nature keeps getting him in trouble. Mike is trying to be the bad guy, but his nature now means he's gotta deal with Tuco's uncle. Which wouldn't have happened if he had just killed him.

Yea, I love Kim busting her ass too.

The show does brilliant montages, I love the music and editing and way the images shift around during them.  Great stuff!

It's so fortuitous that they didn't get the tax break from California they were expecting when getting ready to film the Breaking Bad pilot; setting the show in New Mexico instead made it so much more interesting and unique than another show set in LA.  I wouldn't want to live there, but I love seeing the geography and terrain of New Mexico in the show, there's lots of cool shots that really show off what it would be like to live over there.

Season 2 of True Detective is jut another show set in modern day LA, unfortunately

Agreed that the setting of Season 1 is one of the aspects that made it so good

Was the LA location relevant to the story? I suspected at the time it was just done to be able to produce a season two faster after the first was such a huge hit.

The X-Files never quite felt the same after the movie when they moved from British Columbia.

Locations matter!

The story that Season 2 of True Detective told definitely had to be set in a big major American city, and the specifics of it are probably much more suited to LA than Chicago or any of the east coast cities so yea, it was the right choice.  Whether the setting or story were selected first, I have no idea.

I actually restrained myself this time!

Ep 6.

Another good one for Kim as she feels her career at HHM is at a dead end. Her walk with Howard where his face expressed absolutely nothing was great. 

Might actually have featured Kim more than Jimmy. Who does finally get his coffee mug to fit! (Jimmy at his most Walter like)

Meanwhile the Mike story slowly goes on as the two brothers who years later get offen in legendary fashion by Hank appear. And oh, Mike kicks a little bit of ass when two punks get into his flat.

:up:

If you're bored and curious in reading my thoughts on each episode as they aired, it starts here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25083-better-call-saul/&do=findComment&comment=1224314

Each posts contains no spoilers for future episodes beyond the one discussed, as each was written before the next episode aired

Inflatable 

Has a great montage scene for when Jimmy tries to get fired as he goes for his usual garish suits and tries to play the bagpipes. (the colorful suits have been missed this season)

There's a good scene where Cliff (The always reliable Ed Begley Jr) asks Jimmy why he took the job in the first place.

And later a great scene where Jimmy tries to convince Kim to start a lawfirm with him. She will only do so if he doesn't do the Slippin' Jimmy thing, but to his credit Jimmy now realizes that he needs to be himself.

Kim's solution to share a building but have two separate law firms is actually inspired. 

Writing it down now it doesnt actually seem like there's a lot of storytelling. But the character building here is superb. Though it only makes me sadder for Kim. Right now she's like a third season Jesse. We know she needs to cut the cord and leave Jimmy alone, but she doesn't yet.

Not a whole lot of Mike. He changes his testimony and sets his family up in a new house. I do wonder if his daughter-in-law isn't playing him in some way, or does she want to remain clueless about where the money is coming from?

The show is really barreling along now, even though nothing much has actually happened....

Classic Gilligan 

Fifi

Slowly the Mike story is getting into Breaking Bad terrain. Great single take opening scene of the Mexican border customs check.

The Jimmy stuff was all good. Some great scenes with Kim as she leaves HHM. Howard shows genuine affection, but makes sure to call Mesa Verde the second she leaves. Howard is a fantastic supporting character actually. Who went from being a douchebag, to not so much, to being a stubborn ass, to being a guy who's just towing the company line. Most other shows would have him be one thing.

He and Chuck give a tour da Force performance to get Mesa Verde back which is a delight to watch.

Interesting how the show treats Chuck's illness. It's obviously a serious condition. But has the character wrap himself in tin foil, which is the short-hand for being a nutcase. 

Another cool montage as Jimmy essentially takes advantage of Chuck's predicament by forging his documents. And tries to take the moral high ground on him right after. 

Two more to go and I have no real idea whats next!

Nailed

Again, simply superb character work. The scene where Chuck confronts Kim with what Jimmy did for her is great. Especially because of Kim's calm, measured response. 

Chuck presents no evidence, therefore Kim can rebuff his claims. Yet she knows Chuck is telling the truth.

I liked the Mike stuff too. Notice how it's always shot differently than the Jimmy stuff. Long held static shots, often from a distance. Far less dynamic. Like how Mike actually loosened up and bought a round and flirted with the waitress a bit. Till he found out his little robbery had unintended consequences. Basically both Breaking Bad and this show are about people dealing with unintended consequences. 

That leaves the last 2 scenes. A good one where Jimmy does his thing convincing the guy at the copy shop to change his story. And a brilliant one where Chuck tries to get to the bottom of things and looses it, falls....hits his head.

Damn!

[EDIT]

Actually didnt think of this while I was watching. But when she casually suggested to Jimmy in bed that Chuck would try and proof that Jimmy tricked him, she actually made herself complicit, not legally perhaps, but morally to what Jimmy had done.

Hope she ends up better than Skyler did.

Yup, brilliant character choices in that run of episodes.  And totally agreed on Hamlin, he was the surprised great character to come out of the season

Klick

Damn fine way to end the season!

The relationship between Jimmy and Chuck is as good as anything BB ever did.  The home made faraday cage was brilliant, and Chuck showed his own bit of legal cunning by recording Jimmy's confession.

Love how Jimmy could have gotten away with it several times in this episode. Firstly by having Chuck committed after his accident, and later by not telling him what happened to make him feel better. Jimmy is actually far more vulnerable to Chuck than the other way around. 

Great direction to for the hospital scenes. Like last season they really managed to make Chuck's condition seem palatable.

Nothing actually happened in the Mike plot. Yet somehow it did. I think it's pretty obvious who put the note in his car.

A superb second season, which as ever, starts slow, but deliberately paces itself to a perfectly satisfying season finale. Mike's ends on a note, Jimmy's on a tape. 

I'll be watching season 3 live in about a week!

On 5-4-2017 at 3:00 PM, Jay said:

Another character that really shines this season is Howard Hamlin, I love the way the show makes you change your mind about him as it goes on, it is brilliantly done.

Yes. And I like how natural the changes feel. Howard is a surprisingly complex character.

On 5-4-2017 at 3:00 PM, Jay said:

And yes, Jonathan Banks is infinitely watchable as Mike Ehrmantraut, but his storyline is by far my least favorite aspect of the season, though it gets interesting at the very end of course.

It's an undeniable fact that those scenes benefit immensely from the fact that you can easily enjoy yourself just watching Jonathan Banks having a cup of coffee. He's one of those actors who can hold the attention with the faintest movements. He's obviously doing something on screen, but he doesnt seem to be doing anything. And this was the guy who used to do bit parts in 80's action films???

Like I wrote earlier. For this season Jimmy's and Mike's stories are almost completely separate, to the point that they seem to exists in different worlds. On another show I might call that a flaw. With this one I have to believe it is deliberate. By the end of the season Mike is already in the familiar Breaking Bad territory of kartels, drugs, and truck tires filled with money, while Jimmy is still representing pensioners. Having Mike slowly enter that world means Gilligan and co can delay bringing Jimmy into it for a bit.

One thing I noticed though. Pretty much all of the characters from season one who appeared in this had significant development in one way or another, from Kim to Nacho. But not Stacy Ehrmantraut. Like last season all she does is depend on Mike for things and he delivers. I'm also still thinking about the instance when she said she heard gunshots and even pointed to a possible bullet mark on the wall. Yet Mike had staked out the place and heard nothing.She also never ever questions where he get all the money from.