Alright, so I'm not as rotten as before.....

UCFKevin

I bought the Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind soundtracks last night. Haven't heard them outside of the films, but figured screw it, they're in Johnny's classic days.

I'm just gonna assume they're amazing, but what are your thoughts on these two scores?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got Close Encounters too! :mrgreen:

Great score. What is all this nonsense about boring underscore? Any people that say that need to grab the cue tips. ;)

Jaws is amazing too. Was just listening to it also fantastic score. :)

Justin

JAWS???!!! :mrgreen: That's one of the best scores ever written!

But your listening experience also depends on what cd you listen to. there is the original score release on MCA decca. Not as heard in the film and only some of the score, but this is the best and then there is the complete film score released by Decca. As heard in the film with score not in the movie. Like track 5 from begining to end is not in the movie. Now granted we get great unreleased cues like Martin and his son at the dinner talbe, the close up of Martin's face scene, but we also get to hear how Williams had to butcher several of his scores to make them fit after the fiilm was edited, like one cue from MCA has an ending that isn't in the movie at all and wow what an ending. So i suggest both

My little dream is the have the complete ORIGINAL score remastered. No that i would buy in a heart beat.

But this also gets me to thinking about Duel and how i wish that were released and now i have to shut up.

Congrats on your purchases Kevin!

I think you'll come to appreciate CEOTK as a fantastic score, much as I and many other people do - especially once you start to listen to it quite a bit. I have the Collector's Edition version of the soundtrack, and besides the various individual tracks that I enjoy to listen to, I love how the score as a whole evolves from the beginning as a chaotic maelstrom of music and voice, to a beautiful, serene, and triumphant finale!

Here's to hoping you have many a good listens. :mrgreen:

You'll like them. In fact you'll probably love them.

Now go and get the 2 disc set of The Fury. Also from Johnny's classic era, and a score on par with the two you just bought.

By the way, which Jaws album did you buy?

Neil

, but we also get to hear how Williams had to butcher several of his scores to make them fit after the  

i don't think that's exactly the case.I guess he had some thematic material in mind for certain scenes,but couldn't really use much of them in some cases,so for the movie he recorded them shorter,notably Out to Sea.For the album he probably just expanded some cues after recording them for the movie which he thought had some potential form concertised arragements,like he does in many other movies.

K.M.

I got the most recent edition, I believe, with everything in the order of the film. The one by Decca.

I also got the Collector's Edition of the Close Encounters score.

I love the score to Jaws. Besides the infamous and brilliant two-note motif everyone knows, the highlight for me is actually the sea chantey type music, along with the action cues. I have the original reease and am quite happy with it.

I also have the Collector's Edition of CE3K, and have grown to enjoy that score more with each listen. You should be very pleased with your purchases!

Ray Barnsbury

My little dream is the have the complete ORIGINAL score remastered.  No that i would buy in a heart beat.

We have a (nearly?) complete remastered release of the original score. What we don't have is a remastered release of the original album recording.

Marian - strongly recommending The Fury.

:mrgreen: Jaws

I got the most-recent release of Jaws for Christmas a few years back. I think it's a great, seminal score and works fantastically in the movie, but I don't consider it an enjoyable listen on the whole. The main theme has very little impact on me anymore after so much exposure over the years. I do love 'Montage', 'Father and Son' and 'Man Against Beast', but I don't tend to listen to many of the other tracks.

Some qualifying statements: 1) I don't particularly like CDs with numerous short tracks - the listening experience is just too choppy and eratic for my liking. Jaws is by no means the worse in this department though (see many a Thomas Newman soundtrack. I mean 45 second tracks just $#*! me!). 2) My sound-system doesn't take particulalry well to to this CD. There is just too much bass in some sequences and I don't want to jeopardise the integrity of my speakers. And I HATE having to switch the bass on and off all the time.

CYPHER - who is glad to be listening to anything at the moment after my CD player had to undergo 'repairs' over the weekend and I couldn't listen to anything for nearly two days!

I got the most recent edition, I believe, with everything in the order of the film. The one by Decca.

That album is not in order. Go here to get the correct sequencing.

Neil

CE3K is a VERY unique score. Very different from most of the stuff Johnny's done which is why it surprises me so much that I actually like it. I usually hate his "modernist" stuff.

CE3K is a VERY unique score. Very different from most of the stuff Johnny's done which is why it surprises me so much that I actually like it. I usually hate his "modernist" stuff.

What would you rate as his other "modernist" stuff?