John Williams and the Oscars

A thought came me(once again), about John Williams and the Oscars.

First some numbers, he has 42 Oscar nominations now...

He has won 5 Oscars, one could come this year (CMIYC)...

so, that makes 36 nominations without an oscar.

Let´s futher substract "self-beating" at the Oscar (like with Close Encounters), let´s go the very save route and go with 30 "missed" Oscars.

So, you have 30 nominations and each time at least a 20% chance to win in theory (sometimes better, with 2 nominations), that would make another 6 Oscars for Johnny (Uni, wouldn´t that make 6 missing oscars for Johnnyopoly :) ?).

I think that all the oscars John Williams received are really truely deserved!

So what´s my point?

John Williams deserves to win an oscar(at the very least one) he doesn´t deserve :| !

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he has more of a legitimate shot of winning it this year than year's past. I say this because "Catch Me If You Can" is a unique score, it's different. The Academy loves stuff like that, a jazz-inspired score is the kind of score they love.

Ted

Perhaps, but the academy seems to have a different standard for Williams. :| It seems as if they expect an absolute classic from him.

Perhaps, but the academy seems to have a different standard for Williams.  :| It seems as if they expect an absolute classic from him.

True enough, but that's why I think this year he's got a chance. This isn't everyday Williams. And surprisingly enough, the score has been talked about. Almost everyone I know had something to say about the music so maybe if the film were bigger that it was on its way to being classic. Either way, I think he's got a good shot with this score.

Ted

Perhaps, but the academy seems to have a different standard for Williams.  :| It seems as if they expect an absolute classic from him.

True enough, but that's why I think this year he's got a chance. This isn't everyday Williams. And surprisingly enough, the score has been talked about. Almost everyone I know had something to say about the music so maybe if the film were bigger that it was on its way to being classic. Either way, I think he's got a good shot with this score.

Ted

Everyone talked about music from The Red Violin in the same way that they are talking about the music from Catch Me If You Can. And look what happened to that score at the Oscars....

Jeff -- who wants Williams to win but would be OK if everyone else -- except Elliot Goldenthal -- won

:|

Are you guys crazy? He won't win. Look at all of his Oscar wins (besides Fiddler On The Roof which was for Adapted Score)... Jaws, Star Wars, E.T., Schindlers List. These movies are HUGE. Jaws, E.T., and Star Wars were the biggest movies of all time when Williams was awarded. And Schindlers List was (and still is) considered to be the masterpiece of one of the cinemas greatest directors. I'm not saying that they won because of this, but lets face it, it helped. The Academy recognizes him year after year with nominations. Williams best shot at the Academy Award since Schindlers List, was in 1999 for Saving Private Ryan. Hymn to the Fallen was a wonderfully solemn and patriotic piece, the movie was huge and a real contender for the top awards (Best Picture, Director, Actor).

Although I love Williams and always root for him, I really really doubt that he will get it this year. CMIYC is just his "annual nomination" to recognize him for his astonishing career. I would love to see Elmer take it home this year. Especially after the Gangs of New York fiasco.

:ola:  

These movies are HUGE.  Jaws, E.T., and Star Wars were the biggest movies of all time when Williams was awarded.  And .

Sure but all his "other" biggest movies of all time didn't win.

About CMIYC,I hope it wins.Maybe the academy voters will go for lighthearted music right now.

K.M.

Re: the Gangs of New York fiasco. What was that all about? Was Elmer Bernstein supposed to score the picture and then got sacked and replaced by Shore? How come? Has this soured the relationship between Scorcese and Bernstein forever?

CYPHER

Supposedly, part of the decision to ditch Bernstein's score came from the higher-ups from Miramax. Those who actually have heard Bernstein's music said it was probably for the better, since the score seemed "cliched."

Bernstein lamented the fact that during the writing the process, he and Scorsese didn't have much contact (not a good sign, if you ask me). He also was quoted as saying something to the effect that he was now too old and too rich(!) to care about the decision.

Shore didn't score/re-score the film per se, but licensed an unpublished concert work to be used in the movie. Apparently using this piece was going to be used originally with Bernstein's music, but ended up playing a bigger part after the latter's score got the axe.

I think Elmer Bernstein's music is very cliche. He is always making excuses for all sorts of crap.

As much as Williams should win for CMIYC, I predict the award will go to Philip Glass this year.

Posted: 05 Mar 2003 05:51 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you guys crazy? He won't win. Look at all of his Oscar wins (besides Fiddler On The Roof which was for Adapted Score)... Jaws, Star Wars, E.T., Schindlers List. These movies are HUGE. Jaws, E.T., and Star Wars were the biggest movies of all time when Williams was awarded. And Schindlers List was (and still is) considered to be the masterpiece of one of the cinemas greatest directors. I'm not saying that they won because of this, but lets face it, it helped. The Academy recognizes him year after year with nominations. Williams best shot at the Academy Award since Schindlers List, was in 1999 for Saving Private Ryan. Hymn to the Fallen was a wonderfully solemn and patriotic piece, the movie was huge and a real contender for the top awards (Best Picture, Director, Actor).  

Nope, not crazy.

This is what this thread is all about, he SHOULD win for a score that isn´t one of the "biggest of all time", because he got screwed so many times(including several ocassions where he delivered a "biggest score of all time")!

Sure but all his "other" biggest movies of all time didn't win.

About CMIYC,I hope it wins.Maybe the academy voters will go for lighthearted music right now.

K.M.

Many of those were sequels or lost against him. :) So what are you left with, probably only Superman and Raiders.

Nope, not crazy.  

This is what this thread is all about, he SHOULD win for a score that isn´t one of the "biggest of all time", because he got screwed so many times(including several ocassions where he delivered a "biggest score of all time")!

That's what the lifetime achievement award is for. However, Williams probably has been awarded too much for that. :ola: I am sure they won't award this score for that reason, if they are going to award it will be because it's the type of score they like to award and they think it's the best (or at least the most popular :( ). But I think the odds are against that.