BloodBoal

You forgot the bit where Galadriel might have told Gandalf to go to the High Fells in AUJ

And one of the EE docs has footage of Radagast arriving at Dol Guldur and saying "Dol Guldur" (not sure if this is just taken from the film dialogue)

This thread is a fantastic idea I give all the thumbs up to. I do think the list should be enhanced with a lot more images to support each item, though.

Additional stuff, just sticking to AUJ:

There was originally a different order of scenes between Bilbo joining up with the company and the trolls scene. And yes it seems some shots were removed as things got shuffled around, and partially replaced by pickup material

Also as originally intended - and shot and scored - it's Azog himself who is seen spying on the company at night from the ridge, and Azog himself who chases the company across the plains before Rivendell. So removed from the plains scene is Thorin finding out Azog is still alive then, instead of during the Frying Pan sequence as he does now.

Then of course PJ lost his mind and felt the Azog design wasn't good enough, so changed the name of the orc in those scenes and invented the scene to shoot during pickups where the new Azog kills him on weathertop.

As for the end of AUJ, Shore just scored a previz of the final shots of Erebor/ Smaug eye, so there's no "missing" footage there. But everything that we see once the eagles drop them off in the final film is pickup material, so we've never seen whatever originally happened at the top of the carrock. I guess we're in DOS territory now, but but another thing removed is the original scene of the company descending the Carrock, removed when the films got split from 2 to 3

EDIT: Was the shot of Gandalf smoking at 1:40 of this trailer in the final film? I cannot recall at the moment.

Even more frightening is to hear that the Warg scouts scene was meant to be longer...

Nice thread BB. :up:

They after all shot it for 10 days or something like that. There was footage by the mile for that one. ;)

Great idea for a thread BB!

Yes I think they shot pick-ups with Terry Notary as Yazneg for the ending of "An Ancient Enemy" scene, the warg chase and Weathertop.

"These Hobbit films are way too long. PJ lost his mind!"

"Why did PJ not include these scenes in the EE, he's completely lost the connection with his fans!"

I think he should have cut the silly additions and added all these unused good pieces. Certainly it would have made a better film!

Surely there is a fantastic film buried in all this footage somewhere. We'll just have to find it!

It already is but once the BotFA EE is out they can make their final edits!

More for you guys to debate about.

I guess thats the sad thing. The Hobbit trilogy will be the subject of in depth discussion far more and far longer then the LOTR trilogy ever was. Much like the Prequels got far more attention then the original trilogy.

More for you guys to debate about.

I guess thats the sad thing. The Hobbit trilogy will be the subject of in depth discussion far more and far longer then the LOTR trilogy ever was. Much like the Prequels got far more attention then the original trilogy.

Disappointment and regret seem to create more talk. Criticizing is easier and as such LotR's pros clearly outweight the cons and we tend to acknowledge them as masterpieces and hence do not talk about them as much.

Negative bunch of twats we are!

Alas we are. I blame modern technology! It breeds sense of entitlement!

Regarding Yazneg, I think it's important to remember that he is not the same design as Rawls' Azog. Sort of similar, but not the same. As BB said, all those scenes were redone.

Of course! You were expecting otherwise?

Of course! You were expecting otherwise?

No I guess. Human nature.

Also BB, we know that they designed a prosthetic Thor head with 'Azog' carved into it (Chronicles book), plus the figure had a knife, so I'm guessing they removed something before he throws the head, probably because it was too graphic. I know he used the knife to cut off Thrain's finger, but I think there was an earlier use for it, given that the figure came out before DoS.

Also, you have to remember that the campfire scene (which features the Azanulbizar flashback) was a pick-up scene, so by that time, Azog's design had probably already been changed, and it wasn't Azog spying on the company here, but Yazneg.

I don't think the campfire scene was entirely pickups - wasn't there shots from it in the earliest teaser?

EDIT: Was the shot of Gandalf smoking at 1:40 of this trailer in the final film? I cannot recall at the moment.

Yes, it's from the campfire scene. Maybe hat particular shot does not appear in the film, but there's still a similar one in the scene. No need to list it, then (if we are to list every alternate for shots that are in the film, the list will go on forever!)

See? Aha!

I can't say for sure if they actually filmed (if that's the right word) Azog carving his name into Thror's head. Might be one for an 'Abandoned Concepts' or 'Scenes Possibly Filmed' list.

And one of the EE docs has footage of Radagast arriving at Dol Guldur and saying "Dol Guldur" (not sure if this is just taken from the film dialogue)

Just because one of the AUJ EE appendices shows him saying that line doesn't necessarily mean it was from AUJ (there's stuff from DOS and BOFA to be found in there, if you look closely enough)

Well he was alone, and on his bunny sled, and the scene acted like an intro to Dol Guldur, with the semi-establishing shot of the outside of Dol Guldur.

"Pick-ups" may not be the right term here, since it suggests it wasn't shot during principal photography, but it was definitely a late addition, since we know the Azanulbizar flashback wasn't originally meant to appear toward the beginning of Film 1. And I'm pretty confident that the moment they shot this scene, the Orc seen here wasn't meant to be Azog (as Barny pointed out, Yazneg's design is actually slightly different than Azog's original one (his skin, for example, is darker), and that's why I think it's supposed to be him here).

Yes I think they shot pick-ups with Terry Notary as Yaznek for the ending of "An Ancient Enemy" scene, the warg chase and Weathertop.

So we're sure it wasn't Azok!

You say Yazneg, I say "extra orc", let's call the whole thing off!

You could just add it to your list of sources under longer Radagast at Dol Guldur, and maybe get an image from it if you can.

"Pick-ups" may not be the right term here, since it suggests it wasn't shot during principal photography, but it was definitely a late addition, since we know the Azanulbizar flashback wasn't originally meant to appear toward the beginning of Film 1. And I'm pretty confident that the moment they shot this scene, the Orc seen here wasn't meant to be Azog (as Barny pointed out, Yazneg's design is actually slightly different than Azog's original one (his skin, for example, is darker), and that's why I think it's supposed to be him here).

I am not as convinced as you are that Yazneg is any different from the original Azog!

I am positive it was Azog who was at the warg chase and the cliff overlook when originally filmed!

After looking at pics of both designs, I guess I agree with you that Yazneg looks like Azog's old design. Though the skin colour definitely is different! The old Azog design had a clear pink skin, Yazneg's skin is greyish/black!

Could that just be due to poor magazine scans, the lighting in the room the picture was from, etc?

Well, we've had thise whole Azog/Yazneg argument before - see here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25711

I still am firmly in the camp that when PJ decided to replaced Azog's original design with CGI, he replacement plan was thus:

1. Replace all shots of Azog in the Azanulbizar flashback and Frying Pan sequence with the new CGI creation.

2. Leave the original Azog in the "spying on the company from the ledge" scene and warg chase scenes, but say this is now an orc named "Yazneg" instead. Remove Thorin reacting to seeing Azog alive from the warg chase.

3. Film a sequence during pickups where the new CGI Azog kills Yazneg on weathertop, to explain why a different orc is leading things at the Frying Pan sequence than was earlier in the film.

4. Re-film Thorin realizing Azog is alive, to now be shown during the Frying Pan sequence instead of the warg chase.

I guess you could note that Thorin realizing Azog was alive was cut from the warg chase. That's technically missing footage, I suppose. And presumably Shore scored it.

I'm definitely in the camp that they refilled the Yazneg stuff... Those is not the original Azog prosthetics, and colour grading, seriously? :P

Wasn't the original plan for the audience not to see Azog until the "Out of the Frying-Pan" scene anyway, for more of a shock?

Wait, what are you saying exactly?

That the intro of Azog would be Out of the Frying Pan...

(Read "Refilled" as refilmed and "is not" as "are not" in his post.)

If way back during principal photography, when they filmed the warg chase (see: The epic of Scene 88 featurette) they already had created an orc named Yazneg, and he looked like the John Rawls orc design, then why was that same design filmed in the battle of Azanulbizar, too?

i1kx.jpg

rkdt.jpg

Clearly the concept of Yazneg being an early lead-orc was only created AFTER PJ had them invent the CGI Azog design!

How else do you explain Yazneg not appearing during the Frying Pan sequence, since we know the weathertop sequence was all shot in pickups?

Wasn't the original plan for the audience not to see Azog until the "Out of the Frying-Pan" scene anyway, for more of a shock?

Where did that idea come from?

While its true that originally, we wouldn't have seen the Azanulbizar flashback until after the Frying Pan sequence, there was always an orc shown spying on them from the ledge, and then chasing them into Rivendell. With the weatherop scene not existing until during pickups, that means that original orc had to either have been Azog, or Yazneg was dispensed in a different way that we've never heard about. Which is more likely?