Munich Opening

Bespec

What is the piece called that opens "Munich?" Does anyone know if this was written directly for the movie by Williams? If so, who are the lyrics by? Also, who is the woman singing it? Or is it a traditional piece? I don't see any reference to it in the end credits. I know that the track is called "Munich, 1972" on the CD, but this is vague also. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated! 

Indeed an original Williams piece.

I also love Williams' pulsating music for the break-in itself shortly thereafter. THAT's the type of music he excels at these days.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I also love Williams' pulsating music for the break-in itself shortly thereafter. THAT's the type of music he excels at these days.

The heartbeat effect (the name it's given in the score)? Love that. Seems to have influenced Jóhann Jóhannsson  on Sicario.

10 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

It's an original piece with a vocal performance by Lisbeth Scott.

And the lyrics were written by her and consist mostly of made up words, not corresponding to any actual language.

munich1.gif

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Indeed an original Williams piece.

The electronic pulse is actually realized by synth programmers Tom Gire and John Sponsler (on JW indications of course, which calls for a "pulse synth").

As for saying this is the type of music he excels at, that's a pretty bold statement.

48 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The electronic pulse is actually realized by synth programmers Tom Gire and John Sponsler (on JW indications of course, which calls for a "pulse synth").

As for saying this is the type of music he excels at, that's a pretty bold statement.

Well, I obviously mean the sort of repetitive patterns (minimalism/Adams-style) that he's nurtured since A.I., in particular. It seems to me that he's more comfortable with that these days than "approximating" the adventure sound of yesteryear.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

That is really just your own personal opinion based on the fact that you prefer that kind of sound. It has no basis in fact.

Have you been smoking weed?

The electronic pulse in Munich is interesting mostly because it seems to be Williams' own take on the so-called "unobtrusive" approach that it's everywhere in thriller and drama film scores, but on a pure musical level it's not that interesting. Imho, the most effective parts of Munich are the mournful lamentations for strings and the chamber-like textures for woodwinds and guitar.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

As often with synth work Williams seems to collaborate with the players like Randy Kerber or programmers to achieve the sound he is looking for. I don't think he usually just gives them carte blanche based on mere "pulse synth" description.

Oh, absolutely, yes. There's certainly collaboration and very specific instructions involved. What I meant is that JW came up with the idea of a throbbing constant electronic pulse to feed the traditional orchestral texture and the two synth programmers executed it for him.

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

The electronic pulse in Munich is interesting mostly because it seems to be Williams' own take on the so-called "unobtrusive" approach that it's everywhere in thriller and drama film scores, but on a pure musical level it's not that interesting.

It's just a straight 16th note pulse. That by itself is not interesting (unless you're interested in the programming side, like me), but the enveloping underscore is. He managed to conjure a uniquely stark soundworld for this score--bass accordion, bass marimba, cimbalom, rumbling piano, synth, low winds and low brass. There's some fascinating writing here and shouldn't be casually dismissed. 

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

As often with synth work Williams seems to collaborate with the players like Randy Kerber or programmers to achieve the sound he is looking for. I don't think he usually just gives them carte blanche based on mere "pulse synth" description.

From the score.

munich.jpg

Fascinating stuff! However, (and pr. the other thread that is running now), if he doesn't even do/play the synth stuff on this fairly easy level (but instead opts for notation), it makes the chance of him doing the wacky 80s disco-synth cue "Training Montage" from SPACE CAMP all on his own, very slim indeed. :(

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Fascinating stuff! However, (and pr. the other thread that is running now), if he doesn't even do/play the synth stuff on this fairly easy level (but instead opts for notation), it makes the chance of him doing the wacky 80s disco-synth cue "Training Montage" from SPACE CAMP all on his own, very slim indeed. :(

You really thought that was him playing the keyboards on Space Camp? :P

29 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

It's just a straight 16th note pulse. That by itself is not interesting (unless you're interested in the programming side, like me), but the enveloping underscore is. He managed to conjure a uniquely stark soundworld for this score--bass accordion, bass marimba, cimbalom, rumbling piano, synth, low winds and low brass. There's some fascinating writing here and shouldn't be casually dismissed. 

Totally agree. In fact I find very interesting the way JW weaves in more traditional acoustic textures together with the electronic pulse. As you said, it's a very fascinating stark soundscape that fits the film very well.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

When was the last time Williams played on his own film recordings anyway?  That's a question I've somehow never thought about.

Didn't he play the piano in the Schindler's List end credits?

I'm assuming he didn't do any of the piano solos throughout Lincoln, War Horse or The BFG though.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

When was the last time Williams played an instrument on his own film recordings anyway?  That's a question I've somehow never thought about.

I have no idea. I know he played the piano on Images.

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

When was the last time Williams played an instrument on his own film recordings anyway?  That's a question I've somehow never thought about.

Last time I remember he mentioned that he played on the recording sessions was for Angela's Ashes in 1999 where he e.g. played piano in the cues for the opening scenes.

35 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

You really thought that was him playing the keyboards on Space Camp? :P

No, not really, but I have this image of him noodling around with the tech (with some assistance, perhaps) in the composition process, trying to get the disco sound down! Untill it is disproved, please don't spoil my dream! ;)

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Last time I remember he mentioned that he played on the recording sessions was for Angela's Ashes in 1999 where he e.g. played piano in the cues for the opening scenes.

Didn't he play the solo piano on Lincoln as well? 

37 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I can't recall any article, interview or documentary that mentions this. Randy Kerber performed the piano solos for that score.

Thanks so much for the information. When I read the name Lisbeth Scott, at first I was thrown because I was thinking of the actress with the similar name - Lizabeth Scott! 

18 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

On Lincoln he apparently arranged the piano solo book himself - maybe that's what you're remembering.