The Lord Of The Rings trilogy on Blu Ray

Jay

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of people who seemingly can't.

The name for it is compulsive obsessive....

I thought it was anal retentive...

Somehow I knew that would be your answer.

Touché my good sir! Well played, well played indeed!

On a side note the alternate of Gandalf the White revelation scene in Fangorn found in the TTT Fan Credits is awesome!

TTT seems to have the least alternate material available. The material I have collected for FotR clocks at about 4 hours, TTT "only" 3h 35min and RotK 4h 35min.

I've "only" got 3.35 for Fellowship, and the only thing it doesn't include are the mockups.

Have you included OST tracks as alternates, or is there some other reason yours is so long?

I've got pretty much the same as you for TTT and RotK though. The third one is an insane listen - nearly 4 1/2 hours of music for one cut of the film!

I've "only" got 3.35 for Fellowship, and the only thing it doesn't include are the mockups.

Have you included OST tracks as alternates, or is there some other reason your is so long?

I've got pretty much the same as you for TTT and RotK though. The third one is an insane listen - nearly 4 1/2 hours of music for one cut of the film!

For FotR I have included the the Rarities material, CRs and the OST tracks, although some OST tracks edited if the music is compiled from multiple cues on the OST and there is a possibility for a clean opening in the middle of the track so there won't be so much overlapping passages already heard on the CRs. E.g. I have Concerning Hobbits (the album version) + the TE version from the Fan Credits. I also have part of Treason of Isengard for the longer choral passage, Knife in the Dark for the longer Ring Wraith choral section, Shadow of the Past opening with Gollum's Theme instead of History of the Ring theme that is heard in Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe. I pretty much thought that I include everything to see how much music there is available. I have 3 different version of the Great River: The TE version heard in the Fan Credits, the OST alternate and finally the EE version in Fighting Uruk-hai. The TE version has the same rendition of the Fellowship theme as the CR but the choral opening is the same as on the OST.

And it certainly makes an ungainly listening experience but it is all there. E.g. I normally won't listen to Prologue and then the two alternates (the Rarities version and Prophecy from the OST) back to back but they are there in playlist just in case. I usually end up listening to the CRs for better flow.

And yes Stefan this is a bit obsessive compulsive. :P

Ah, I see. I suspected you'd done something like that.

I decided not to overcomplicate it and have kept the OSTs and CRs separate. The former makes a good, compressed listening experience, and for the latter I simply decided to make sure that every 'major' alternate is represented. If it's within the fan credits, I leave it there and don't bother extracting as a separate cue.

I'm learning a bit more to live with differences between film and album, so the occasional missing bar or shortened passage doesn't bother me as much. I'm basically going for a listening experience approach (so not including 3 alternates that only vary slightly), but one that doesn't sacrifice material - merely arranges it so it makes sense. I'm not one for listening to full albums anyway.

My only act of obsessive compulsiveness lately was incorporating the Main Titles from Sleepy Hollow in the Elfman box. It's absolutely riddled with edits, so I decided to keep the first half from the OST, and take the second part, with Ichabod walking into the village, from the set. Problem is, there's an edit near the end, and the fanfare seems to have part of the mix removed, so I had to go in and replace that passage with a (thankfully sfx-free) DVD rip. I just can't listen to Elfman's stupid mix of that!