The Lord Of The Rings trilogy on Blu Ray

Jay

I've been hoping the EE BDs would have isolated scores. I heard that only 'space issues' prevented them on the EE DVDs - that's no excuse here. I have no plans to rebuy the trilogy, as they weren't shot very sharply to begin with. A 5.1 music-only track would tip the balance.

Yes, I know we have the CRs, but there's something really special about watching the movie with just the music, and there are a few cues I want the precise film mixes for.

But either way, having the alternate BotF uncompressed will be good.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but there will be the Costa Botes documentaries. This I like : I really wanted to see those.

Me too. I wasn't even aware they'd been released before!

It looks like they'll be splitting the extended versions over two discs again. I'm a bit pissed off about that.

I have absolutely no problem with swapping discs once per film. They were shown theatrically with an intermission as well (and those were the shorter versions). If anything, I regret they didn't resurrect the classic concept intermission music for these films.

Space is an issue. I'd rather change discs once than settle for inferior quality.

Neither here, but they should have had one. I remember the strain on my bladder with TTT and ROTK.

It depends on where you watched it. Cinemas decide for themselves whether they have an intermission and it's usually either an intermission on all features (even the 80-minute ones) or none at all. For example, Pathé cinemas has no intermission as company policy, while JT cinemas does.

It looks like they'll be splitting the extended versions over two discs again. I'm a bit pissed off about that.

I have absolutely no problem with swapping discs once per film. They were shown theatrically with an intermission as well (and those were the shorter versions). If anything, I regret they didn't resurrect the classic concept intermission music for these films.

Space is an issue. I'd rather change discs once than settle for inferior quality.

Dude.... I never said that!

He's allowed to complain. Somehow Marian attributed the quote to Jason LeBlanc, but it was actually pixie_twinkle who made that statement:

$85 for three movies is also too much.

Well, there are also 9 DVDs of special features.

Actually only 6 discs of special features. It looks like they'll be splitting the extended versions over two discs again. I'm a bit pissed off about that.

From the Amazon description:

"To top it all off, the extended editions offer four discs per film: two for the longer movie, plus four commentary tracks and stupendous DTS 6.1 ES sound; and two for the bonus material"

Really ? The theatrical versions had an intermission ? They didn't have one where I live.

Neither 'Fellowship' or 'Two Towers' had an official intermission, but for 'Return of the King' the official preferred intermission point was at the end of reel five after Theoden's line 'and no more despair' immediately prior to the cut to the paths of the dead.

This causes the second half of the picture to be much longer than the first, which is why the 'Live to Projection' performances ignore this completely and place the intermission at the end of the paths of the dead sequence.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. They could literally fit all 9 of those DVD discs onto one blu ray

Not buying. I'll just grab the DVDs with the Costa Botes DVDs on eBay or something, that's all I don't own that I want.

Nothing to do with the amount of discs, I just don't care about the EEs that much to shell out another 100 squid.

Still, its stupid.

Doesn't really bother me. As long as the films themselves are in brilliant quality HD, they can include the extra's on a thumbnail sized Mpeg1 ;)

Nothing to do with the amount of discs, I just don't care about the EEs that much to shell out another 100 squid.

Just wait, they will go down. I expect another repackage if this when The Hobbit comes out, so this set will be going at discount prices.

With the right equipment you don't even need to go blu ray.

I'm satisfied with my regular LOTR EE DVD's but this is good for those who wanted them on Blu-ray.

Not buying. I'll just grab the DVDs with the Costa Botes DVDs on eBay or something, that's all I don't own that I want.

I got the original EE DVD set for something like 20 quid last year.

Karol

I'll happily take the films on 2 discs if that means that they will use the highest possible quality of sound and picture.

That's another good point. That maybe why they split it to 2 discs. All though still doesn't make sense. AVATAR's 3-Disc set the first disc contains THREE cuts of the film and they all look great.

I'll happily take the films on 2 discs if that means that they will use the highest possible quality of sound and picture.

That's another good point. That maybe why they split it to 2 discs. All though still doesn't make sense. AVATAR's 3-Disc set the first disc contains THREE cuts of the film and they all look great.

Isn't that done using seamless branching?

Still, its stupid.

Makes perfect sense to me. The material might not be available in HD in the first place, and putting it on Blu would mean considerably more work - redoing the entire set of menus, for a start. A BD isn't just a DVD with 5 times the space.

With the right equipment you don't even need to go blu ray.

Sorry, no.

That's another good point. That maybe why they split it to 2 discs.

Why else would they do it?

All though still doesn't make sense. AVATAR's 3-Disc set the first disc contains THREE cuts of the film and they all look great.

I don't have the running times in my mind to make a comparison there. But Avatar might compress differently. And three mostly similar cuts of one film don't need much more space than one.

I think the LOTR EEs are a bit overrated. The Two Towers I think benefits tremendously from the expanded treatment, while the other two just add filler to what was a well-edited and enjoyable set of movies. But you can't beat the bonus features; the sheer amount of quality puts Criterion to shame.

Great to see The Hobbit finally start shooting. I'd rather see Guillermo del Toro put his mark on the franchise, but at least Jackson provides welcome continuity director-wise.

I really don't mind so much about the extras being on DVD rather than bluray. Looks like they're packaged in their own individual cases anyway (I'm guessing each will be very similar in size to the Blade Runner 5 disc blu-ray set) so it's not like its going to take up a huge amount of shelf space. Also, since I don't believe the extras were filmed in HD anyway it's not even like we'd have seen improved quality had they been on Blu Ray disc. I suppose the convenience of having all the extras on a single disc per film might be nice but given the sheer length of the documentaries for each film I don't think I could ever sit through them in one go anyway so I definitely don't mind having to change disc. The extras here are still among the very best every put together for a film.

As for the films themselves being split over 2 discs, again, I have no problem with this. The Extended Editions have never been presented as one unbroken film on disc form. Given the length of the films, the HD sound, the 4 commentaries and the complexity of the visuals I think it's best that the films are given as much 'breathing room' as possible. With them being spread over 2 discs it means we have a much higher chance of superior picture quality. Isn't that what blu ray is supposed to be about anyway? Having said that, it's now up to Warner Bros to take advantage of the oodles of disc space they have for each film and deliver the goods in AV quality. If they don't, it's just laziness.

I think even the longest cut of Avatar only included 16 additional minutes of footage. Fellowship has 30 minutes, Towers has 40 and King has 50 extra minutes added. Fellowship alone is longer than Avatar (I believe).

Also, disc 1 of the Avatar set is bare bones. LOTR has 4 commentaries to add to the DTS-HD MA 6.1 sound track and probably lossy 5.1 options plus BD Live (no word yet on what this will be and I don't know how much this really adds in terms of disc space)

It would be kind of hard to have a commentary track on a disc that doesnt contain the film :)

I think people are complaining about the extras being on multiple DVDs instead of 1/2 or 3 Blu-Rays because that probably affects the price of the set.

I'm sure it affects the price of the set, positively. Consider of how many individual videos the "Appendices" consist. Then consider how many menus are required to navigate the whole thing. I assume these would all have to be completely re-done for a Blu release. That certainly would cost some money.

Pressing on DVD or 4 DVDs probably has little difference in price. Heck, I don't know what the price difference between pressing a DVD and pressing a BD is, so for all I know, 4 DVDs might be cheaper than one BD. What is negative about it, if you want to complain, is added strain to the environment.

Anyway, I now have 3 months left to re-read The Hobbit and LOTR.