My alternate Prologue Edit (with video)

Shoreboy

Hi there, I thought you guys may be interested in this.

With the three versions of the LOTR prologue out there - The Prophecy (OST), The Prophecy (Rarities) and Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All - I feel that, while they're all great, none of them are perfect. The early "Prophecy" versions are very nice, but could do with the "History of the Ring" theme at the beginning IMO, and I'm not keen on the use of the Gondor theme in the Rarities version and the OST version is just too short. Meanwhile the "One Ring to Rule Them All" version sounds a bit too "Parth Galen" for me in places. So for my personal benefit I created an edit of all three that brings together the best bits while keeping the overall structure in place. I thought you might like to listen...

This is the edited score with the images roughly indicating which bit is from which version. Unfortunately the sound is pretty quiet and for some reason quite distorted... :(

And I've also synchronised it with the visuals of the film, along with the sound effects and a slightly drowned-out Galadriel (also the old score is hidden underneath and tries to pop its head out every now and then :rolleyes:)

Cheers.

OK i checked out your edit - it's quite good, it flows really well! Though I do admit I like hearing the Gondor music in the prologue :) I do know what you mean about the final version sounding too much like later FOTR music.

I also watched the video that "syncs" it to the film, and that didn't work quite as well. I think a lot of footage that the older versions synced to simply doesn't exist any more (shortened, trimmed, altered, replaced by other footage, etc).

I'd love for a future BD of LOTR to have a huge deleted scenes section...

On 5/15/2013 at 10:07 PM, Faleel said:

You don't hear the similarities to Parth Galen/Lothlorien?

There is a typo "n" in Jason's post Faleel. I think he meant that he also heard the similarity between the music from Prologue and Parth Galen. But I actually wonder which affected which.

I'll take a listen after I get back from work. Sounds like an intriguing concept.

Mixing tracks is not something I'm a fan of. I rather enjoy each one for its own beautiful advantages.

I did, however, do a LotR Symphony two years ago or so, with the CRs because I wanted a slightly different Symphony compared to the actual one which is pretty close to the OST presentation.

Id love for Shore to sit down and actually write a fully developed symphony based on his themes, kind of like what Williams beautifully did with memoirs of a geisha.

You haven't had enough?

No only the month's worth of continous audio from the all three recording sessions, the symphony, re-recordings and a couple of compilations would be ideal.

You haven't had enough?

Im just saying, id take that over the current LOTR symphony.

Id love for Shore to sit down and actually write a fully developed symphony based on his themes, kind of like what Williams beautifully did with memoirs of a geisha.

He should wait until There And Back Again, and do both trilogies at once. I'd totally go for a double concert.

What I want are fucking theme suites!

I would even take something similar to the Gerhardt SW CD's for LOTR...

Which is pretty much the same thing (The Gerhardts had Han Solo and The Princess, The Asteroid Field, Training of a Jedi Knight, The Throne Room and End Titles, Jabba The Hutt and Ewok Celebration Concert Versions.)

What I want are fucking theme suites! We almost got that with The Hobbit SE, two of them being pretty good (A Very Respectable Hobbit and Erebor).

I'd love Shore to compose Middle-Earth music without the constraints of a film score.

I think LotR is as close to pure music as you can get. At no point I feel Shore compromised any musical qualities for conforming to picture.

And then he'll make a symphony of The Hobbit! Because Shore will spend another big chunk of his life reworking again is massive work and even adding more stuff to it for us! Yay!