Which Williams Concert Works have been revised?

filmmusic

Just not to make any mistake:

the concert works that Williams has revised are these?

1) Violin concerto

2) Cello Concerto

3) Satellite Celebration to Song for World Peace

4) Sound the Bells (revision in orchestration)

(I don't mean those that were revised to film cues for Monsignor and Seven years in Tibet)

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra (rev. 2016)

Oh, I assume the Kevin Kaska cd has the original version.

And do we have an original recording for the revision?

If I have it in on my page, it may have been performed live, yes, but I don't keep record of live performances when JW don't conduct it. Make some searches on the forum, it may be documented somewhere.

And my page may not list all the revisions, unfortunately, John Williams don't call me when he decides to revise one of his works! :P

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

And my page may not list all the revisions, unfortunately, John Williams don't call me when he decides to revise one of his works! :P

He should, so that they are kept well documented! ;)

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Make some searches on the forum, it may be documented somewhere.

Oh, found it:

A Nostalgic Odyssey must have been revised also.

I have 2 recordings and at least at the beginning where I heard a bit they are not the same.

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

Elegy for Cello and Piano (rev. 2002)

One of my favourite JW pieces. I would have loved to hear the original piece that was performed at the funeral service, but the revision that we have is probably a lot 'fuller'.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

One of my favourite JW pieces. I would have loved to hear the original piece that was performed at the funeral service, but the revision that we have is probably a lot 'fuller'.

The whole Yo-Yo Ma / JW album is near the top of my list of JW concert works.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

I wonder if the signature edition is the original cello and piano piece, or a cello and piano reduction of the orchestra version.

it does say "Elegy for cello and orchestra"..

12 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I wonder if the signature edition is the original cello and piano piece, or a cello and piano reduction of the orchestra version.

it does say "Elegy for cello and orchestra"..

The funeral came first, so the original piece is cello and piano. Then expanded to "cello and orchestra" a couple of years later. AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

The funeral came first, so the original piece is cello and piano. Then expanded to "cello and orchestra" a couple of years later. AFAIK.

Yes, I know the original is the cello and piano.

i was talking about the officially released sheet music.

If the "expanded" version is just an orchestration of the piano part, then the sheet music coincides with the original piece.

If the "expanded" version is expanded in music too, then the sheet music doesn't coincide with the original piece.

Not sure if Elegy counts as a revision. The original was for cello and piano and then it was orchestrated in 2002 for the CD. Would you call it a revision?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You can find the cello and piano version on youtube: 

55 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Not sure if Elegy counts as a revision. The original was for cello and piano and then it was orchestrated in 2002 for the CD. Would you call it a revision?

You can find the cello and piano version on youtube: 

But that's what I'm asking: is the "revision" only in orchestration or maybe he changed or expanded the music a bit too? (like eg. he added that coda in the Trumpet concerto 1st movement)

We don't know.

The sheet music says "Elegy for cello and orchestra" in the title.

Why doesn't it say "Elegy for cello and piano" , if it's indeed the original piece?

Anyway, if it's still the same music, it is still called a revision when you change the orchestration of a piece (in classical music that is).

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Anyway, if it's still the same music, it is still called a revision when you change the orchestration of a piece (in classical music that is).

Indeed. It would be weird if it didn't count as a revision.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

But that's what I'm asking: is the "revision" only in orchestration or maybe he changed or expanded the music a bit too? (like eg. he added that coda in the Trumpet concerto 1st movement)

We don't know.

The sheet music says "Elegy for cello and orchestra" in the title.

Why doesn't it say "Elegy for cello and piano" , if it's indeed the original piece?

Okeley, thanks for the clarification ☺

I was just listening to Satellite Celebration and the revised version.

Wow, I liked the original much more with the choir and the singers.

Pity that I guess it won't be ever properly recorded.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I was just listening to Satellite Celebration and the revised version.

Wow, I liked the original much more with the choir and the singers.

Pity that I guess it won't be ever properly recorded.

Yes, it's a vastly superior version -- even if we only have it in extremely poor sound quality at this point.

"Satellite Celebration" and "Song for World Peace" is the same work.

Yes, it has been revised two times.

Satellite Celebration (Song for World Peace) (rev. 2002, 2007)

The second revision is fairly substantial, with at least a full minute of total extensions.  The violin part is extended and the full orchestra climax is doubled.