The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

LOL, I've had one since launch of course, Overcooked is a 2 player game so she was using the joycons

I've been playing the new Pokémon game a lot lately. It's far from perfect, and certainly no BOTW despite the similar trappings, but I have to say it's a lot of fun and definitely the best Pokémon game I've played since the DS era. There's something so simple yet incredibly satisfying about actually aiming and throwing a Pokéball. The story is garbage, as per usual, and the trainer battles are underwhelming, but I'm actually interested in catching them all and finishing the pokédex for probably the first time in my life. Last night I spent a good 30 minutes strategising about how best to catch a level 85 Garchomp, and after a lot of trial and error, team swaps and intense battling I was successful. Pokémon is finally fun again!

I don't enjoy Pokemon games, but I feel weirdly invested in the franchise "meta-narrative" (as in, the reception of individual games and the perceptions of the franchise's overall direction).  I guess just because, even for the games in genres I don't care for, I want all of Nintendo's properties to be respected and seen as feathers in their metaphorical cap.

Anyway, it's been clear that the "perceptions of the franchise's overall direction" have been on an overall downward trend for years now.  Sure, each individual generation has its fans, but even the most ardent defenders are having to start from a place of conceding that the franchise has been pathologically averse to change, mostly leaving any experimentation to when they license the property to developers outside Game Freak (with Go being the most obvious example).  So it's nice to see a game from the flagship developer that is genuinely experimenting with the formula, and even if it's not perfect, seems like it could be a good foundation for a whole new branch of the Pokemon tree.

18 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Nintendo controllers are too expensive

ALL controllers are too expensive.

12 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I've been playing the new Pokémon game a lot lately. It's far from perfect, and certainly no BOTW despite the similar trappings, but I have to say it's a lot of fun and definitely the best Pokémon game I've played since the DS era. There's something so simple yet incredibly satisfying about actually aiming and throwing a Pokéball. The story is garbage, as per usual, and the trainer battles are underwhelming, but I'm actually interested in catching them all and finishing the pokédex for probably the first time in my life. Last night I spent a good 30 minutes strategising about how best to catch a level 85 Garchomp, and after a lot of trial and error, team swaps and intense battling I was successful. Pokémon is finally fun again!

Just about all of this is how I feel about it too.

Graphics are worse than Gamecube and the story is complete crap, but they managed to figure out how to make Pokemon actually FUN (when they let you actually play the game).

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyway, it's been clear that the "perceptions of the franchise's overall direction" have been on an overall downward trend for years now.  Sure, each individual generation has its fans, but even the most ardent defenders are having to start from a place of conceding that the franchise has been pathologically averse to change

Everyone keeps citing this as the problem with Pokemon, that it never changes, but that's far from the problem. The early games are still good and the later games are still bad. Doesn't matter if your first game is Sword and Shield or if it's Red and Blue like me.

The problem with Pokemon is it's been watered down. It doesn't mean anything anymore. They put in no effort. The graphics are ugly, the world design is non-existent, and they're super cheap and the music sounds like Finale's stock instrument playback. 

Pokemon in 1996 was a technical feat. I'm sure many of you even heard the stories about how Iwata helped program Gold and Silver so they could fit the entire first game in there again.

Now? They copy and paste old animations from the previous game for a similar character, have stock Pokemon models and then lie to the player base and claim that they can't have all the Pokemon programmed into the game because they have to model them all and animate them when that's already done.

It's cheapness, laziness, and poor design that's why Pokemon has been a stinker for over a decade, not it's inability to move away from a formula which, frankly, still works.

Here's what I think is likely to be included in tonight's direct

High probability / near guarantee of being included:

• Triangle Strategy
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
  • Splatoon 3
  • Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
  • Earthbound (SNES Online)
  • Batman: Arkham Collection
  • Monster Hunter Rise DLC (Sunbreak)

Medium probability of being included:

• teaser trailer for the Mario movie
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus DLC
  • Breath of the Wild 2 title announcement
  • Bayonetta 3 proper trailer
  • A new Fire Emblem game (either a completely new game, a combined remake of one of the three duologies: Geneology of the Holy War & Thracia 776 / Binding Blade & Blazing Blade / Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn)
  • A new Xenoblade game (either Xenoblade 3, Xenoblade X2, or a port of Xenoblade X)
  • A major new service game like Smash, where every direct from here on out will include a new character / map / something reveal.  Maybe a "Nintendo Kart"
  • something outside of the box being added to the Online Expansion Pass
  • announcement of the next major 3D Mario game, no real details until e3

Low probability / not going to be included:

• Metroid Prime 4
  • Pikmin 4
  • Boxboy 5
  • Yoshi's Woolly World port
  • Next entry in Labo / Game builder Garage / Mario Kart Live Home Circuit
  • another Mario sports game
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Metroid 1/2/Super/Fusion ports
  • Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess HD ports
  • Mother 3
  • Hollow Knight Silksong

I think the title of the game will be revealed before e3, so they don't have to hide it until then, and can instead say the game's real name when saying more information is coming then

and here we....... go!

400,000 live watchers!

First up is Fire Emblem......... and its Three Houses DLC for Warriors? Who saw that coming!

Oh, I guess it's a standalone game.  Still.... hard pass from me!

Advance Wars 1 + 2 Re-Boot Camp - two guesses correct so far.  I never played these games, I really need to

No Man's Sky - I forgot there was rumors about this one

Ha!  A new Mario sports game!  I called it!

Mario Strikes Battle League

Oh shit, Front Mission First was just announced on the Japanese version of the direct

Splatoon 3, of course

Oop and here's Front Mission 1st here

Oh snap Front Mission 2 remake also coming!

lol, a Disney/Pixar racer called Disney Speedstorm

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed port, cool

Assassin's Creed collection, I forgot this was already known

SD Gundam Battle Alliance...zzzz... my brother in law would be interested

CHRONO CROSS REMASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

graphics don't look that good though......... huh.

I've never played this game, and I LOVE Chrono Trigger.  Instabuy!

jeez, the graphics stink though

WOAH!  RADICAL DREAMERS IS INCLUDED!!!!!!!!!!!  THEY'RE LOCALIZING RADICAL DREAMERS! WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Kirby time.  Graphics for this game, are great!

Oh fuck, Japanese direct has announced PORTAL and Metroid Dread DLC!

MLB The Show lol

This is awkward AF

WTF!? A muppet at the end!?

"Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece" is the name of the cloud versions on Switch...... LOL

Klonoa 1 and 2!

PORTAL 1 AND 2 - very cool!  I will finally play these games

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!! A LOCALIZATION OF LIVE A LIVE!!!!!! NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!!!!!

and it's in HD-2D like Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy, and Dragon Quest 3 remake!!!
HOLY FUCK!!!

WHAT!?  NINTENDO SWITCH SPORTS!!!  It's like Wii Sports!  WOW!

WHY did they not develop this for launch 5 years ago!?

Koizumi is here lol

Nice they are announcing some free updates ahead of time

Free online playtest the weekend after next

Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythm Festival zzz

Triangle Strategy - graphics are fantastic but I played the demo and didn't like it - nice score though!

new demo dropping today

Cuphead DLC, looks amazing

Metroid Dread - FREE DLC!

oh, it's just a 1-hit-kill hard mode, and a beginner's mode

Boss rush mode coming in April

Earthbound coming to SNES online - nailed it

and Earthbound Beginnings for NES online!

GetsuFumin something or other - graphics look cool

Demon Slayer something or other - meh

Lego Brawls - lol

Two Point campus - meh

WOAH - paid DLC coming for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, featuring more courses from previous games

WOAH!  They are adding FORTY EIGHT MORE COURSES!!!  THAT is insane.  Coming out in six waves between now and the end of 2023.  There's your new service game

$25 for all 48 courses, or free with Expansion Pass membership.  NAILED THAT

XENOBLADE 3 - nailed that too!

I really hope this is the game Yasunori Mitsuda has been working on!

Man these thick accents are funny

Wow, it's coming out in September!

That's it!  Stu was right - no Zelda!

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It is!  Available on PlayStation 1 and Switch ;) 

I would laugh, but...

1FB30319-9BDB-4D23-98D7-E599587832B7.jpeg

EDIT: NEVERMIND

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO HAPPY I'M SO HAPPY THIS IS SO SPLENDID AND MAGNIFICENT AND LOVELY AND I'M SO HAPPY 

FLMKVzvVIAIBKV5?format=jpg&name=900x900

Frankly, I've yet to play a game developed by Next Level that I love.  I think both of their Luigi's Mansions are major letdowns, taking no lessons from what made the original great (and I do think the original is great).  And I just don't care much about the Nintendo sports games.  I do understand why they bought Next Level though: much like the streaming companies they need to make sure there's a steady stream of content releasing.

Kirby continues to look fun.  I was pretty surprised about the new MK8 courses, I definitely assumed the chances of that were dead after 5 years, and I'm happy that it's included with the online membership I already have.  Other than that, a very very boring Direct.  I'm looking forward to Splatoon 3, but only to the single player campaign, not the various multiplayer modes that remain the focus of the marketing (and the series, really).

I feel the exact opposite about Next Level. I was hugely into whatever they made as soon as I played Strikers 1 on Gamecube.

...and like Nintendo said during their recently investors Q&A, they're not just running around buying developers like the other guys are. They want to make sure a dev has "Nintendo DNA" before even considering it. I think Next Level Games demonstrated that off the bat. 

Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3 are definitely different from the first, but they were still high quality games, definitely Nintendo games, but definitely their own style. 

I just want a Luigi's Mansion that is actually about continuously exploring a spooky mansion and not unnecessarily segmented by levels by like Next Level's games, both of which I got bored with halfway through.  At first it seemed like 3 might be closer to what I wanted, but it's really almost as level-based as 2.  To each their own, but Next Level has yet to make a game I like.

Anyway here's a picture of Philip Seymour Hoffman at a Gamecube event like 20 years ago

No idea what to expect from this now they're unaffiliated.  Kit and Krysta are both genial enough as hosts, but I didn't watch Nintendo Minute very often because official PR shows where the hosts can't be candid with their opinions aren't very interesting (see also: the Nintendo Power podcast which I unsubscribed from pretty quickly).  But I'll probably add this to my podcast rotation once their first official episode out, give it a whirl just for a few weeks to see how it is.

Frankly I find the current NVC lineup often pretty boring.  Kit/Krysta also appeared on MinnMax last week and I thought it was much more engaging than Cat Bailey's narcoleptic approach (not that you should necessarily watch it as it does cover a lot of the same ground as the NVC interview)

Oh man Kat Bailey is great!

Casey was a better host, sure (and even Zack would have been a better host), but she's a great guest to have on for the right topics

It's just cheesy shilling and lots of squeaking all the time. 

I'm probably the biggest Nintendo fan I know, bar none, but even then I can say when I don't like something, and I can say when I do like something, and everything I've heard from Nintendo podcasts have always just been like a non-ironic version of The Nerd Crew. 

I watched Nintendo Minute (it wasn't a podcast btw, but a weekly video series, often very dependent on the visuals) when they had something that you didn't see much if ever in non-official PR, like interviews with developers.  They seem like nice enough people, sure it's a little cringe, but whatever.  Like I said, I'm just kinda curious because this is people who worked at Nintendo since the Wii days now having left the company and starting their own podcast.  It'll probably be boring and fall off my rotation pretty quick.

12 for me

1. Chrono Cross
  2. Advance Wars 1 + 2
  3. Nintendo Switch Sports
  4. River City Girls 0
  5. Live A Live
  6. Xenoblade 3
  7. Bayonetta 3
  8. Zelda BOTW 2
  9. Mario + Rabbids 2
  10. Portal 1 & 2
  11. Hollow Knight 2
  12. River City Girls 2

Maybe Metal Slug Tactics?

Kirby

Lego Star Wars

Splatoon 3

Mario + Rabbids 2

BOTW 2

Lego games aren't really my thing, they make me sleepy, but my daughter is almost done with her first Lego game, Lego DC Super Villains, and likes it a lot so Star Wars I have to get.

And I'm sure there will be some random indie games that come out this year I'll get.  I know for sure Hatch Tales (the 3DS game Chicken Wiggle remade for Switch) because I backed the Kickstarter 4 years ago.

With the addition of "Rookie Mode" to Metroid Dread I'm gonna try to finally get back to that game soon (probably restart it completely).  I stepped away from it soon after fighting (and re-fighting and re-fighting X 20) the first major boss back in October.

Out of everything that came from this direct, by far the thing I am most looking forward to is listening to the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 OST album in September.

The Xenoblade 2 OST is one of my most cherished albums and one of the scores of the 2010s I've listened to more than any others

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

With the addition of "Rookie Mode" to Metroid Dread I'm gonna try to finally get back to that game soon (probably restart it completely).  I stepped away from it soon after fighting (and re-fighting and re-fighting X 20) the first major boss back in October.

I beat it in two days after starting on Rookie mode, on Normal mode I got stuck on the final boss back in Oct.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Out of everything that came from this direct, by far the thing I am most looking forward to is listening to the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 OST album in September.

The Xenoblade 2 OST is one of my most cherished albums and one of the scores of the 2010s I've listened to more than any others

We can see that! :P

IIRC he posted about that.

On 09/02/2022 at 6:05 PM, Kasey Kockroach said:

I would laugh, but...

EDIT: NEVERMIND

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO HAPPY I'M SO HAPPY THIS IS SO SPLENDID AND MAGNIFICENT AND LOVELY AND I'M SO HAPPY 

FLMKVzvVIAIBKV5?format=jpg&name=900x900

3DS and Wii U Eshop purchasing ending March 2023. Fund adding to be removed in May (Credit Card) and August (EShop Card):

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/02/nintendo-is-ending-3ds-and-wii-u-eshop-purchases-in-march-2023

Any suggestions on anything I should pick up?

The best stuff to pick up for Wii U are games that haven't come to Switch and/or games that rely on the Wii U game pad. Check out:

Affordable Space Adventures

Never Alone

Duck Tales Remastered

Mario vs DK Tipping Stars

11 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Xenoblade X

Kirby's Canvas Curse

Yoshi's Woolly World

Nintendo Land

Star Fox Zero

Game and Wario

Wii Sports Club

Paper Mario Color Splash

etc.

I think he was asking about Wii U games that can only be bought from the eShop - all of those can be bought physically

I'm just over half an hour into the first episode of Kit and Krysta's podcast (the Nintendo Minute folks).  After a somewhat awkward opening, it actually becomes a pretty interesting conversation about work and the meaning people derive from their jobs and not letting the company you work for dictate your life.  Haven't gotten to the portion where they talk about video games yet

So this took me a few...months.

Did this with Tropical Freeze too about a year and a half ago.

Worth it? For my sanity, no. For my pride, maybe. Love almost every second of both games and felt they were worth the devotion.

6842B7A8-23AF-4380-9461-45D11AAB5A90.jpeg