The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Wha'd you think?

I liked it, have'nt got to the aftergame, got distracted by Smash.

I'm leaning towards Kingdom Battle just because it's a style of game I've never actually played (tactical RPG) and it will give me a nice break before delving back into some more platformers and metroidvanias

• 1 month later...

With E3 canceled here's hoping we get a Nintendo Direct soon.  We don't know much about what they are releasing this year.

I have a giant backlog of unfinished games anyway, but it's still nice to know.

I finally set up a Switch profile for my 5-year-old so that we can both have our own characters on the same island in Animal Crossing this weekend.

I'm also likely going to soon buy the indie game Murder By Numbers.  I play basically every Picross game that comes out on Switch, and an Ace Attorney-style story-based one sounds intriguing.

Over the past 5 days, for obvious reasons, I was wanting gaming comfort food, so I started a new playthrough of A Link to the Past.  Just beat the Skull Woods dungeon, about to head to Gargoyle's Domain.

A Link To The Past is such a great game from top to bottom

I actually just re-subscribed to Nintendo Switch Online this weekend, since my launch day subcription had for some reason not auto-renewed.  I went into the SNES games area when I wanted a break from Mario + Rabbids and was kind of bummed by the selection.  Obviously any service that has Mario World 1 & 2, Link to the Past, and Super Metroid is phenominal, and I love that I can play those in perfect quality on my Switch.  But there is sooooooo many bottom tier games when you go beyond those, and so many top tier games are missing.

I ended up dabbling with some Starfox and found it didn't hold up; Checked out Starfox 2 and didn't like it at all, and then just ended up playing the first world of Super Mario World, which was as great as always except that playing that game with the Pro Controller was less than ideal.  I didn't want to get off my butt to get my SNES Switch controller tho

I hope they add a ton more SNES games to that module, even the SNES Mini has so a much better selection

Such a great game

I had forgot that they don't even give you the cape until World 2!

I love it, but for the past ten years or so, the moment I get past World 1, I lose all interest, and I'm not sure why.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm also likely going to soon buy the indie game Murder By Numbers.  I play basically every Picross game that comes out on Switch, and an Ace Attorney-style story-based one sounds intriguing

Damn that sounds cool!

22 hours ago, Jay said:

A Link To The Past is such a great game from top to bottom

I actually just re-subscribed to Nintendo Switch Online this weekend, since my launch day subcription had for some reason not auto-renewed.  I went into the SNES games area when I wanted a break from Mario + Rabbids and was kind of bummed by the selection.  Obviously any service that has Mario World 1 & 2, Link to the Past, and Super Metroid is phenominal, and I love that I can play those in perfect quality on my Switch.  But there is sooooooo many bottom tier games when you go beyond those, and so many top tier games are missing.

I ended up dabbling with some Starfox and found it didn't hold up; Checked out Starfox 2 and didn't like it at all, and then just ended up playing the first world of Super Mario World, which was as great as always except that playing that game with the Pro Controller was less than ideal.  I didn't want to get off my butt to get my SNES Switch controller tho

I hope they add a ton more SNES games to that module, even the SNES Mini has so a much better selection

Yeah I really wish all the Donkey Kong Country games were on there. 

And here's today's Indie World direct

Holy cow, the very first game they showed, starting about 45 seconds in - BLUE FIRE - looks awesome!

Just finsihed the part that showed The Good Life.  I wasn't sold on it, or any games since those first two they showed so far

Hmm other than The Last Campfire and maybe Moving Out didn't see much else here that I'm super interested in... but future info, trailers, or demos could always change things!

Here's hoping the rumor of a full Nintendo Direct next week is true!

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Holy cow!  It took me a while to get into this game, but I'm in!  I started a while back, and had a long delay between when I played a second time, and another long delay before I played a third time.  After 3 sessions, probably 2/3 of the way through World 1, I really wasn't feeling it;  I found the game to be a bit obtuse, and i felt like I was just fumbling my way to victory in the battles, not really knowing what I was doing.

But somehow as I finished up World 1 last night and beat the first major boss, it all clicked together and I'm REALLY digging this game now!  That moment when I went from having no clue how to defeat Rabbid Kong to figuring it out was awesome, and even though I did before I could pull it off, when I did on a second attempt it was very satisfying. 

After finally beating the first world and unlocking that new block movement thing and going back around, exploring new areas and getting new upgrades and stuff was great, as was finding the secret level in world 1 and beating that.  I also used the washing machine to replay some of my battles I only got Good or Fair on to get Perfect instead and loved that too.  I feel like I am starting to get team composition and strengths and have a better understanding of what I'm doing in all the battles now.

Really cool game!  Very lovely graphics too, and wonderful music by Grant Kirkhope

THE RUMORED MARCH 26 NINTENDO DIRECT WAS REAL AFTER ALL!!!!!!!

Bravely Default II demo is live https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bravely-default-ii-demo-switch/

Why is Nintendo releasing Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition on the same day as The Last of Us: Part II?  Suicide!

Borderlands: Legendary Collection and Bioshock Collection announced for Switch

Next Smash Brothers DLC character is someone from ARMS

No Bayonetta 3 news, no Metroid Prime 4 news, no Pikmin 4 news, no Breath of the Wild 2 news, no Hollow Knight 2 news :(

I used to play the shit out of Episode I: Racer!!!  That will be fun to re-visit.

Also pumped to replay Bioshock Infinite, while laying down on a bed in handheld mode.  My favorite part about the Switch, tbh.

I knew for sure that Animal Crossing had irrevocably ensnared me when the information about content updates was my favorite part of today's Direct.

I'm also pumped to replay Episode I Racer for the first time in nearly 20 years.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Is Catherine: Full Body better than the original Catherine?

Don't know, haven't played it since I don't own other consoles at the moment! But I believe Full Body has a lot more content than the original, most significantly a new character and story route.

Jedi Academy...now that we're in an age where online gaming is all but taken for granted, I wonder if it will have new life here.

Also, to echo the text at the beginning of the video, it hopefully isn't too big of a secret to state that some of the departments at NOA are closed until further notice, so delays are almost guaranteed.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

it hopefully isn't too big of a secret to state that some of the departments at NOA are closed until further notice,

Not really a secret, no

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/03/13/nintendo-america-sends-home-workers-after-employee-tests-positive-coronavirus/

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-26-nintendo-closes-us-repair-centres-indefinitely

On 3/26/2020 at 12:28 PM, Jay said:

To clarify that first article, the department(s) directly responsible for making the games available here in the Americas--translating, localizing, QA testing, etc.--were closed until further notice last week on Friday. Very few of the positions, relatively speaking, are able to be done from home due to the security protocols, so who knows how this will affect games in the pipeline.

Did anyone decide to check out Goob Job!, the new Nintendo-published puzzle game that dropped after the Direct?

It seems...  I dunno, I like puzzle games, but I tend to want to escape the office setting after work :lol:

Nintendo will reveal plans to re-release most of Super Mario’s 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch

Excited GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

these remasters will include 2007’s Super Mario Galaxy as well as other 3D Mario instalments.

[...]

Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020, including a new instalment in the Paper Mario series and a Deluxe version of 2013’s Super Mario 3D World.

Excited Stephen Colbert GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

No wonder last week's direct was a mini, they were likely saving all this Mario news for E3.  Now that the cat's out of the bag, hopefully they move up the date of the official announcement, which hopefully has lots of footage to check out

I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high.  These will probably be more "re-release" than "re-master."  Never forget they put out the Wii disc for SMB's 25th that was just a Mario All-Stars ROM.

There's no need to update great pixel-art games like that though; The polygon games can all easily be improved without ruining anything.

And hey, that Wii disc also came with a 32 page book and soundtrack CD! :p