Nixon

tpigeon

If there is one score by John Williams that is least talked about on this Board, it very well may be Nixon. I've only heard small samples of the score. From what I've hear it reminds me of JFK, whose theme I love but is another score which I do not have of his that I wish I did. Recently I ordered Nixon from amazon.com and I'm interested to know what Williams' most loyal fans think about it before it arrives at my house.

Ted, expecting a somewhat dark and solemn score

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, Nixon is not commented here very much (though we talked about it yesterday in the chatroom!!! :) ).

The Turbulent Years is a vivid track with a couple of (astonishing) themes.

Growing Up In Winter is the contrary: relaxed, very nice cue with Tim Morrison's trumpet, pure Williams of the 90's (you'll listen to this same theme in the also calm "Makiing a Comeback).

And you also have the JFK/JP/Sleepers-like action tracks (can't say if it's really action, as I never saw the film): "The Ellsberg Break-in and Watergate" and "Love Field".

And, finally, Miami Convention and Farewell Scene have both great endings.

This score really deserved the nomination. Like ALL his 90's scores, it's a masterpiece.

Williams did a fun in-joke for the film, quoting a quick bit of JFK in a scene where Nixon and his men are discussing Kennedy's impending arrival in Dallas.

"The Turbulent Years" is primarily the music written for the long trailer, with its 40 second opening actually being the prologue of the film (the big brassy motifs before it segues to the chimes, high strings, and piano bit).

When I had reviewed the album several years ago for FSM, I noted that "The Farewell Scene" was a bit like "Fanfare for the Common Man" in some ways, since it underscores Nixon's final speech and his return to civilian life. Stone did show a lot of the dark side of Nixon, and did try to have a sympathetic portroyal all the same given Nixon's humble beginnings.

The Meeting With Mao is a STUNNING and BEAUTIFUL cue. Turbulent Years is a masterpiece. It's an underrated score. Couldn't sit through the movie though.

It's kind of funny, but I just bought that soundtrack a few days ago in Italy. I love it. It seems to me a mix of JP, The Lost World, The Patriot, and other things, but it is very good (although, if it reminds me of those scores, then it must be good, IMHO). It was a good investment of 13,40 EUR (15.0603 USD).

~Conor

Turbulent Years=Imperial March.

I bought this score from the used rack back in December and it's slowly growing on me. (It's funny how I find some of my favorite scores on the used rack. I found Air Force One there and I listen to it daily.)

You gotta wonder what kind of messed up political views JW has on Nixon when he uses the "Imperial March" in the Nixon score.

The first three notes of the main theme are the same as the Imperial March but it is in a much higher register with a more complicated 6/4 rythem and the notes that follow aren't similar. Therefore, I don't think they are that closely related. The music for the Miami Convention is incredible, especially if hear with the film. Its the one goosebump moment in the movie for me althought the entire score is effective.

I'd like to hear again the Turbulent Years with the Nixon trailer with which it was written for. The couple times JW has written trailer music its been amazing.

- Adam

I think Turbulent Years would have made a great SW action cue,too bad it's wasted on another movies trailer .it's more similar to The Droid Battle from TPM than Imperial March

K.M.tired of re-loading the page and re-writing his posts because he gets Invalid Session all the time

The Turbulent Years was perfect for the trailer. It creates the sense of the dark, brooding Nixon as well as creating the feeling of a high-stakes political caper which ratchets up the anticipation level higher and higher... If anything it makes the film seem a lot better than it is, which is I guess what trailers are supposed to do. If only TPM could have allowed for that kind of dramatic writing...

The Droid Battle? Don't really hear that connection, IMHO.

- Adam

I do think that Williams did waste that theme on that film. What little I saw of the movie (before I blacked out), that theme seemed totally out of place. It's like a dramatic and powerful "attack" action cue, not something for a president getting on Air Force One or something.

The theme was written for the trailer and used very sparingly in the film. Its not really used for the character of Nixon in the film. Mostly it is used for the flashbacks of the 1960s, with protesters getting beat up by the police. Thus the name, The Turbulent Years. Had JW used the theme for Nixon getting on Airforce One, of course it would be inappropriate. But he didn't. And again I think it works fine in the film and spectacularly in the trailer, IMHO.

- Adam

I just got the cd today and it is amazing! I absolutely love The Turbulent Years. It being the first track and all, it knocked my socks. And I was surprised with the score as a whole. Once again, Williams has amazed me.

Ted

tpigeon wrote:

If there is one score by John Williams that is least talked about on this Board, it very well may be Nixon. I've only heard small samples of the score. From what I've hear it reminds me of JFK, whose theme I love but is another score which I do not have of his that I wish I did.

Funny how opinions can be different. For me, JFK is the real masterpiece here. I even like the synths he used in some of the tracks.

I wouldn't compare Nixon with JFK except that they are both directed by Stone. Nixon brings a whole other atmosphere that I leave for you to discover.

For what it's worth, the music of Nixon('95) is written in the same period as Sabrina('95) and Sleepers('96), the post Schindler's List area. They are all part of his so-called retirement comeback period which I not too fond of. Do yourself a favor, get JFK ASAP!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Chris is right about Meeting with Mao. When he first posted that, I hadn't really heard it. Then it came up on my playlist (that thing's a lot like a radio) one day and it really stunned me. That four-note motif and the orchestration are so perfect!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that the first track sounds a lot like Across the Stars?

Ted

Steef, listen to the segment from 2:58 to 3:05. It's just a brass driven version of Across the Stars. It shows up again from 3:34 to 3:40. and then again at 3:51.

Ted, who thinks those parts sound exactly like Across the Stars

Oh yes that, it sounds a bit similar (are they the same notes), but i don't find it disturbing in any way.

Both themes have a completely different feel to if, and i doubt the similarities are intentional.

To me The Love Theme from AOTC still sounds more like the Main Theme from Star Wars then anything else.

Stefancos- who had to remove a lot of dust from his Nixon CD. :devil:

Oh yes that, it sounds a bit similar (are they the same notes), but i don't find it disturbing in any way.

Both themes have a completely different feel to if, and i doubt the similarities are intentional.

To me The Love Theme from AOTC still sounds more like the Main Theme from Star Wars then anything else.

Stefancos- who had to remove a lot of dust from his Nixon CD.  :devil:

I feel the exact same way. I notice it every time I hear it, but it doesn't bother me all that much for the reasons you pointed out. And I've always felt that Across the Stars was derived from the main title rather than a rip off of Hook.

Ted

I feel the exact same way. ...I've always felt that Across the Stars was derived from the main title rather than a rip off of Hook.

Ted

The love theme is a variation on Luke and Leia's separate themes. At least that's my interpretation.

Jeff -- whose Nixon CD always gets a healthy play now and then (trying to get back on topic) :devil:

One of the cues not represented on the disc is the music where Richard is speaking to his mom after his older brother's funeral. The string elegy is so moving. And Williams moves into his secondary theme beautifully (the five chord string progression that epitomizes Nixon's character). I wish Williams could have included that on the soundtrack in favor of some of the darker dense material.

As it stands, I love "Meeting with Mao".

That secondary theme you are referring to is not really a theme for Nixon. It's a theme for the Nixon family, primarily. You hear it mostly in the flashbacks to Richard Nixon living in Whittier. Its best use is in "Losing a Brother."

• 4 weeks later...
Alexander the Great?

Hope so!!!!

Me too. Alexander is so different from any of the assignments Williams has tackled for Stone, or, indeed, anything he has tackled before. But given that Williams hasn't worked with Stone in eight years and that he's already committed to the next Harry Potter film and, of course, the next Spielberg film, Alexander doesn't seem a likely 2004 scoring project for Williams.

Also, it seems Stone's Alexander isn't going to be a historical epic, or have need for a big dramatic theme. It seems that Stone is doing a movie about the personal life of Alexander, talking about split personality, Oediphul (SP) complex and homo sexuality. Yipee.

Luhrman seems to be doing a more traditinal movie.

Also, it seems Stone's Alexander isn't going to be a historical epic, or have need for a big dramatic theme. It seems that Stone is doing a movie about the personal life of Alexander, talking about split personality, Oediphul (SP) complex and homo sexuality. Yipee.

Kinda like Nixon (in which case I guess it wouldn't be so different such a different kind of movie for Williams to score).

Williams always uses a big theme, hehe, I'm hoping for several in Alexander. Plus some military marches.