Any Rosewood fans here?

A24

What is the general consensus on that one? What is your personal opinion? I ask this because it's a relatively new Williams score but nobody here seems to speak fondly about it.

I must confess that I don't have this score, never saw it in any store and never even heard of the movie either. Should I go, feel shame and order it fast or should I stay home listening to some "really good" Williams instead?

Thanks for your responses.

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Rosewood' is a mixed bag, there are two stand out tracks IMO, these are 'Leaving Rosewood' featuring some lovely Horn solos and 'Look Down Lord/End Credits'. The gospel songs are very interesting and certainly worth checking out (particularly 'Freedom Train') as they explore a side of Williams that we are not accustomed to. There is a sprinkling of 'Missouri Breaks' about the music with the accoustic guitar and electronic bass.

As with 'Stepmom', Mr Williams was brought in to replace the original composer.

The movie starred Jon Voight & Ving Rhames, was directed by John (Boyz 'N The Hood) Singleton and originally scored by Terence Blanchard (if my memory serves me correctly).

Ultimately I enjoy parts of the score and I would consider the cd a worthy addition to any Williams collection.

Rosewood is a great score, probably one of Williams' most underrated works. I love the guitar writing and playing, plus the album sounds fantastic too.

Marian - who likes the score a lot.

I like this score very much. I'm a fan of Williams' bluesy/folksy music. I love the rendition of the main theme in the track 'Leaving Rosewood'. 'The Hounds of Sumner' and 'Scrappie and Mann Bond' are a couple of my favorite cues.

Chef Pierre- who thinks Williams cooked up a tasty score with Rosewood

It is my least listened to score. I like parts of it, and really apriciate JW's diversity in composing things with such a southern feel. I would listen to the CD more, but the main draw to it is of course 'Look down, Lord', which I already have on the JW Greatest Hits CD.

I do love some of the guitar work.

Is it fair to say that it has a southern feel to it like in Sugerland Express?

This is me just guessing.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I've only heard the main theme from SE, but based on that, they are very different. Rosewood has a much more black feel to it.

Rosewood bears some similarity to his deep south scores such as Sugarland Express, Missouri Breaks, The Reivers, etc. in that he employs a lot of blues elements and some harmonica, banjo, etc.

Overall, though, it stands on its own as a unique score. For one thing, there are three African American spirituals. And the colorings of the score are very specific to the film as always. Its darker than the above mentioned scores, overall. Lots of other differences.

- Adam

Well, there isn't a single Williams score that I don't like, so obviously I think that Rosewood is a good score, but it's not something I listen to all that much. It's a new side of Williams, and as someone once said on this Board a while back, it's sort of an evil cousion of The Reivers. At any rate, it's surely a unique score.

Ted

This is what I said about "Rosewood" last summer, and I stand by it:

Rosewood is Williams' most underrated piece of work. A fantastic score to an equally fantastic film. I think if the film had been well-received, the score would have been nominated for an Oscar.  

The gospel songs are all written by Williams, sung a capella. The orchestrations are some of the best I have heard from him, and the music has never been touched on since.

"The Dogs of Sumner," "The Town Burns" and "Scrappie and Mann Bond" are three cues that get the repeat treatment often.

And thanks for that bit of info, Miguel. I had heard Williams was hired as a replacement, but I never knew who the replacement was.

I hope I'm not too late to chime in with my opinion... While this is not my favorite Williams score it is one that demonstrates Williams chameleon like abilities. Its sort of a mix between The Reivers and Schindlers List. And if you hadn't known it, to listen to the spiritual tracks, you would never know they were composed by an old white guy.

• 4 weeks later...