The Episode III Speculation Thread

tpigeon

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point, MaestroJW, about the scene with the jedi kicking ass beniefiting from sort of quote of the main theme is correct - or maybe even a kick-ass version of the force theme. Originally, I got the impression you were talking about a quote of the main title in its full glory which I thought would have been over the top, but referencing the theme in the appropriate context is something JW has done often.

As for the other's point about Yoda's theme not being used in the final confrontation (until the very end when he's using the force while Dooku escapes), I don't really think this was a weakness of the score. My frustration was the sound mix - its hard to hear the music. But the score he wrote for that scene was very effective, IMO. Yoda's theme works best in the contemplative scenes that existed in TESB and ROTJ. It wouldn't work with him flying around the room with a light saber and the male choir was a cool way to score his reaching for the light saber beforehand.

I'd like to think Lucas won't edit in music from previous SW films but there hasn't been a movie where he hasn't done that since Empire Strikes Back (and even that had music taken out of scenes where it would have been better left in). So I'm not very confident.

- Adam

Actually, TPM, didn't have music from previous movies, now that I think about it, just an unbelievably butchered presentation of the climatic battle music.

-Adam

Chances are, Williams never got an oppurtunity to suggest anything, which means that it was probably Lucas and Burtt who decided on the music for that part.

I thought that it was Ken Wannberg that was responsible for cutting the music.

Neil

Who ever cut up the music, did a terrible job!

I am hopeful for episode III (and yes i did the whole "hope leads to dissapointment" thing). I did read an article quoting Lucas saying, something like "we aren't going to hold back on this one" which could mean many things. But there are 2 that i can think of:

1. He is going to use every trick up his sleeve to make this movie as good as it can be and possibly save or redeem the prequel trilogy.

2. He is going to use even more "ground-breaking" visual and sound effects to try and pull off a film which could lead to the complete destruction of what is left of his fragile reputation.

I hope it means that he is using everything up his sleeve to make it spectacular. I WANT to enjoy the last Star Wars film.

Joel-who is praying that episode III is a great end to the star wars saga...

P.S. Stefancos, I like your Cat. :music:

Yoda's theme works best in the contemplative scenes that existed in TESB and ROTJ. It wouldn't work with him flying around the room with a light saber and the male choir was a cool way to score his reaching for the light saber beforehand.

What about the exciting renditions of Yoda's Theme in the ESB score? Its used as an action motif when Luke is chasing Boba through Cloud City and (although it was cut) Williams used it in the Luke and Vader Bespin duel. I'm not saying everytime Yoda is on screen we need to hear the theme, that of course is cheesy. But imagine these exciting Cloud City versions of Yodas theme playing during parts of the Yoda-Dooku duel, I think it works. Again, I'm not talking about tracking the scene with the ESB cues, I'm talking about scoring the scene and using Yoda's theme similar to the way Yoda's theme was used in ESB.

Jeff - Whose favorite version of the Yoda Theme is "The Death of Yoda" from ROTJ.

:music: The Towering Inferno

I like the version of Yoda's theme you are talking about from ESB, to a large extent because of the string writing underneath. I still think the theme was designed to give a sense of the warmth, wisdom, magic, etc. of Yoda so that there's a danger of trying to stick it in places where it isn't needed. But, this is a minor point in the scheme of things. If anybody could manipulate the theme to make it work for that Yoda-Dooko confrontation, JW could - I'm just making the judgement that it was better he didn't. I could be wrong, of course.

- Adam

I am totally with Luke on Alderaan.

I hope we see that at least one in Episode III.

It would at least allow us a glance at the planet before it gets blown to smithereens.

I wonder if Lucas will keep the design of the planet similar to the old Ralph McQuarrie renderings of it like he did with his original renderings of Coruscant.

The way he designed it was perfect! Absolutely fit with my own visions of the planet.

Lush fields and hill and meadows that go on forever with buildings that seem to mesh perfectly with the landscape.

What's the matter? No one is speculating. Come on people, speculate!

Ted, who can't imagine why people would possibly be sick of talking about Episode III

Ted, who can't imagine why people would possibly be sick of talking about Episode III

Oh it's very easy to understand why.....Episode II. :)

Here's my speculation. Palpatine is a force-less clone of Sidious. Sidious created Palpatine to be a puppet for him. I think this is why Lucas introduced the concept of the "midichlorians" in The Phantom Menace. Palpatine doesn't have any while Sidious does. Make sense?

Neil

Neil, I think your on to something since Palpatine acted as if someone drugged him in Episode II. You know? He was staring all the time. He felt more like a dead person to me this time.

----------------

Alex Cremers

That was more likely a result of Lucas' actor direction then anything else.

lol. Ain't that the truth.

There was one line in episode II from McDiarmid that i thought was terribly delivered.

"the thought of loosing you...is unbearable."

That made me start laughing because it was so badly delivered, it seemed like something directly out of a soap opera. But this was bery minor considering some of the other actors acting flaws! Which lines do you think we delivered badly?

That was more likely a result of Lucas' actor direction then anything else.  

Ian McDiarmid doesn't strike me as an actor that needs a lot of direction. He always knew what to do before. But this time it was like his thoughts were deliberately elsewhere. He made you wanna yell: "Hey Ian, snap out of it!"

Ah hell, maybe he's just sad the whole time and thinking:"What are they doing with the Star Wars that I once knew? There screwing it up and there's nothing I can do."

----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't think Palpatine is a clone, I just think he's getting more old and decrepid. I mean look at him in Return of the Jedi. He's got a lot of aging to do between Episode I and VI. Interesting observation though. I honestly think the revelation of the Emperor will be something more to loook forward to in Episode III instead of the revelation of vader. Just imagine Palpatine finally coming out as Sidious. It's got great potential.

Ted, speculating on Neil's speculation in this speculation thread

Yeah Ted, I think Palpatine's rise to power is even more darkly intriguing than Anakin's fall to evil. I really hope they spend some time on it in Episode III. He is such an awesome character, and I would love to witness his machinations in depth.

Ray Barnsbury

IndySolo has a good point going there.

Sounds like that theory could really work.

I still want to see how exactly Lucas specfically covers the downfall of anakin that causes him to turn on and attack Obi-Wan.

I hope they make a trilogy of films about Palpatine's life,

The first film could be about his childhood, say about 8 years old...wouldn't that be great!!!!

All I want to see is what makes Anakin so pissed off that makes him fight Obi-Wan. And rumor has it that Mace is the first Jedi to die in the film. My speculation is that Dooku will kill Mace, Obi-Wan and Anakin rush in just as Dooku kills Mace, Anakin, Dooku and Obi-Wan fight, Obi-Wan gets thrown around by Dooku like a rag doll...Anakin and Dooku fight and when Anakin kills Dooku , Obi-Wan and Anakin get into some sort of arguement that makes Anakin pissed off and then he fights Obi-Wan. By the way its been confirmed that in Ep III that Luke and Leia will have all ready been born.

Trent

Obi-Wan and Anakin rush in just as Dooku kills Mace, Anakin, Dooku and Obi-Wan fight, Obi-Wan gets thrown around by Dooku like a rag doll...

Trent, we've seen that already. Why repeat that scene? It still fresh in our memories.

----------------

Alex Cremers

its been confirmed that in Ep III that Luke and Leia will have all ready been born.

Trent

Er i have seen confirmed that Padme Will dress very loose outfits to disguise her pregnancy.

Of course Luke and Leia may born in EPIII... but already been born?

Yes all ready been born...I can't remember if I read it on theforce.net or on the Star Wars website itself, I think it was on StarWars.com itself. But they said that they were looking for possible australian canidates to play the babies of Luke and Leia. It was stated at either the begining of the year or sometime fall of last year, I can't remember.

Trent

Perhaps they will be born during the movie itself, since the lead Designer of Episode III has claimed that padme weras outfits that conceal her pregnancy.

They are probably born DURING the film. I doubt they would already be born at the start.

Lucas will probably want to have their births to give the film an emotional scene.

They can do a birth within the movie.

Its not like the kiddy audience believe children are brought down by the stork anymore.

Do they?

It is not that.

Its the same iwth a sex scene (which i feared from EPII). Both are right and beautiful, but they're not scenes with a SW feeling.

I dont know if i explain myself.

It is not that.

Its the same iwth a sex scene (which i feared from EPII). Both are right and beautiful, but they're not scenes with a SW feeling.

I dont know  if i explain myself.

Ummm Luke a birth scene is ALOT different than a sec scene.

To say the bloody least. :P

Its not like the kiddy audience believe children are brought down by the stork anymore.  

Do they?

They probably know more than adults do...

Heh Heh! :P

Sad but true! ROTFLMAO

Does the Episode III carry its pre-official title yet? What is it? I can't find it talked of around anyplace elsewhere. I think the word "death" must be a part of the title, since after a death a new "hope" sets in commonly.

Roman, hopeless as a bumblebee in the fruitless meadow.-)

It is not that.

I dont know  if i explain myself.

Ummm Luke a birth scene is ALOT different than a sec scene.

To say the bloody least. :P

Yeah i know. But i would not like seeing the babies getting out 'there'.

For the love of God man! ;)

Let us not get nasty here! :)

They obviously would not do it like that. They would do it the same way they do it in like every major Hollywood release.

You would see Anakin standing next to Padme laying in bed. Possibly making corny sounding moans until you suddenly hear a baby crying and then a woman off-camera will say "OH look a pair of twins!" and hand the two babies to Anakin and Padme as if the friggin kids had materialized out of thin air. :P

For the love of God man! ;)

Let us not get nasty here! :)

They obviously would not do it like that. They would do it the same way they do it in like every major Hollywood release.

You would see Anakin standing next to Padme laying in bed. Possibly making corny sounding moans until you suddenly hear a baby crying and then a woman off-camera will say "OH look a pair of twins!" and hand the two babies to Anakin and Padme as if the friggin kids had materialized out of thin air. :P

I suposeed it too..but you neer know...

Anyway, Anakin should not be there. And less know that they are twins.

Hey maybe the 'go-to-the-dark-side' button is that , to protect the babies the baby has died. or even padme too...

Yeah OK thats true Luke.

Anakin didn't know about Leia.

Hr seemed to know about Luke though.

Strange.....

Have to see how this is explained.

Whoops, I'm editing my comment out because I posted it in the wrong thread. This Invalid Session thing is a bit frustrating at times.

Merkel, your insight serves you well. There will be a major space battle at the beggining of EPIII

more spoilers in Theforce.net

They also say that Peter Mayhew said that Chewie will rescue the babies and give them to obi-wan (that why they seemed to know each other in ANH as joe said)

I guess, will the babies be kidnaped by Tyrannus (or dooku :)) because the sith are looking for apprentices?

I don't know, but I read those bits of news over at theforce.net and find it all very interesting. We have a confirmation on the PG Rating as well as the fact that the film will run two hours, which comes as a pleasant surprise to me because I thought one of the weaknesses of Episode II was the running time/pacing. It pleases me to see that Lucas is on the right track with good pacing and running time. I'm also pleased about the huge space battle at the beginning. Another thing I didn't like about Episode II was the lack of space involvement. Episode I didn't have all that much space battle either, but it had more than II. I'm hoping that Lucas will deliver an exciting opening sequence to the nature of the Death Star Attack at the end of Star Wars.

Ted