Liberty Fanfare

MrScratch

I was listening to "By Request" the other day and I was reminded of how much I loathe the Liberty Fanfare. Am I the only one? What does everyone think of the piece? The "triumph" and "majesty" of the fanfare sounds forced and uninspired to me. To my knowledge, this piece has never been recorded since, and I'm not surprised.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...did he not break the newest Forum rule?

17 - Posting negative critisism on these forums about John Williams or any of his compositions (film music, concert work or otherwise) is strictly forbidden, except if this critisism is about music that was tracked, looped or edited in the film.

Stefancos- who has never heard Libert Fanfare.

I like it.  Even the part that sounds like SpaceCamp.  :)
In fact, Spacecamp is the one that sounds like Liberty Fanfare :)

Steff, why does your cat have the name of a (beautiful) city?

17 - Posting negative critisism on these forums about John Williams or any of his compositions (film music, concert work or otherwise) is strictly forbidden, except if this critisism is about music that was tracked, looped or edited in the film.

If this is true I don't think I want to participate in this message board any longer. I'm a huge John Williams fan but by no means do I like every track on every JW CD I have. So, we are not allowed to discuss a John Williams piece and why we may or may not like it? Somebody clarify this for me please!

Jeff - Disappointed that he can't intelligently discuss his opinion on any given JW piece.

"There's no such regulation. Alright, you're in the party. Mr. Spock, the ship is yours."

Neil

Actually, Keith Lockhart recorded it with the BPO, Erich Kunzel recorded it with Cincinatti, and even the Orlando Pops shredded it on their low budget recording, plus it is a mainstay of a lot of summer and 4th of July concerts. Trumpet players LOVE it. All brass players get a kick out of it.

I personally love the piece and have conducted it before (make sure your trumpet players have 'C' trumpets. If they have 'Bb' trumpets, they are in for hell)

Frosty

First of all, it is Steef, Stefan, Stefancos, Mr Cosman or My Lord.
Sorry, I realized it was wrong, but didn't have the time enough to correct it.
After Bilbo a
huh? I was referring to Bilbo (aka Bilbao)

Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops recorded the Liberty Fanfare on the 1999 CD "A Splash of Pops", it's on Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops' "American Jubilee", the Orlando Pops recorded it as did the U.S. Navy Band. It's not my favorite in the Williams patriotic canon, but I don't loathe it. For some inexplicable reason, I'm really fond of "Celebrate Discovery".

Actually, Keith Lockhart recorded it with the BPO, Erich Kunzel recorded it with Cincinatti, and even the Orlando Pops shredded it on their low budget recording
Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops recorded the Liberty Fanfare on the 1999 CD "A Splash of Pops", it's on Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops' "American Jubilee", the Orlando Pops recorded it

Whoa, deja vu. Something must be going on with the matirx. :)

Neil

Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops recorded the Liberty Fanfare on the 1999 CD "A Splash of Pops", it's on Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops' "American Jubilee", the Orlando Pops recorded it as did the U.S. Navy Band.  It's not my favorite in the Williams patriotic canon, but I don't loathe it.  For some inexplicable reason, I'm really fond of "Celebrate Discovery".

Same here. I just love "Celebrate Discovery". But I alos love "Liberty Fanfare". Even before I knew for what this was composed for, I could imagine it as we arrive to NY and saw the Liberty Statue through the fog -- much like in Angela's Ashes finale... I find there is the same kind of hope feeling to it. My favorite recording of it is Kunzel's. Williams own, has a somewhat complicated intruduction... Lockhart's is great, but I don't like the way it was recorded. There are many more recording s of it, you can find most of them listed on my site.

What's the difference between Kunzel's and Williams' recordings? I hear them very much alike (unless it's not the Kunzel recording the one I have), the most notable difference in what I've heard is the sound of the bells.

Hector - who loves Liberty Fanfare and has been playing it all day long.

:) Williams Liberty Fanfare

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Erich Kunzel (apparently)

P.S (for Miguel) please, a wee bit of patience, still trying to get together the whole act, but it's coming so hold on to your... to something :)

Hey Hector, stick around. Miss your posting here

Good topic.

Sound the Bells is my least favorite of all Williams' non-film writing I've heard so far, so I usually skip this track. I enjoy Liberty Fanfare a lot more, but as I said before, Celebrate Discovery is my sheer title-holder.

By the way, I like topics like that. They make you listen to music you know so well through "someone else's ears", trying to understand why he or she likes or loathes this or that.

I'm still in need of getting hold of "By Request", though.

I'm a huge John Williams fan but by no means do I like every track on every JW CD I have.

Same here. I don't exactly belaud every single piece JW's ever composed, but the wealth of the goods he's delivered dwells atop of the best of the best.

Roman.-)

I've never had a problem with "Liberty Fanfare".....actually, that's too bland a way of putting it. I've always liked it. I do hear a little too much of it in a wierd context at times, since the Colorado Avalanche love to play it (along with the Main Theme from Star Wars--and how cool is it to have a sports team in town that loves Williams!) every time they get a victory. Considering how often that happens, I hear it a lot in the background on T.V. But I think it's a great theme, very fitting for its subject material when it was first written. I haven't heard the Kunzel version, so I can't speak to that, other than to say I would guess it's a bit louder and goes haywire with the percussion at the end, something Erich can never resist. :)

I'm still in need of getting hold of "By Request", though.

Yes you are. There are some great, and totally unique, versions of some of his major themes on that one. It's one of the only places I know of where you can get the original intro to his second Olympic theme, without having the opening bars of his first spliced on in its place. (Nothing too wrong with that version, either, but we oughta have at least one edition of an original theme preserved intact and made available to us, right...?) The suite to The Cowboys also stands as one of my favorite summaries to a score I don't own for a movie I haven't seen. Both of these make it a worthwhile purchase. :)

- Uni

I do enjoy Celebrate Discovery, but I also think it is a rehash of The Olympic Spirit, or very close to it.

Kunzel's version is very neat. The brass sounds a bit reserved in Lockhart's version. Williams is my favorite because it has an edgier brass sound, especially the opening flourish( A neat piece of orchestration is the tuba ending the flourish on a D above middle C).

Frosty

Actually Sound The Bells is a favourite of mine!! And I use it to kick off a lot of my "best of Williams Mds" Sound he Bells also opened my first Williams concert, so that may prejudice me a little.

MMm well Liberty fanfare, I made a couple of 160 minute MDs, a 75 track Williams mega sampler, and Liberty Fanfare didn't make it on there, I didn't deliberaely leave it out, just that I wanted other pieves on it more, so yeah I guess of the Williams celebratory pieces, this is the one I listen to the least, but i still like it, just like the other pieces more!!

I hope that rule is some sort of joke... because it's absurd, I mean what is this, a religion or a discussion board.

I hope that rule is some sort of joke... because it's absurd, I mean what is this, a religion or a discussion board.

It's best to read every post in a thread before responding, or else you come off looking really silly.

Besides, I can make up whatever rules I want now. :)

Neil

Can someone post a link to a clip so I can hear it?

-Tharpdevenport - BACK AND GOING FOR FORD'S BUTT! How dare he treat my fellow baord members like that. :-)

Everyone miss me?