The Aviator vs. The Return of the King - which is the better Shore score?

Jurassic Shark

The Aviator vs. Return of the King: which is the better Shore score?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. The Aviator vs. Return of the King: which is the better score?

• The Return of the King (2003)
    • The Aviator (2004)

4 hours ago, Fargo said:

Continuing my trip down memory lane, I think my second film score CD purchase was Spider-man 2 in 2002. Definitely a downgrade from my first one. 

I think you meant Spider-Man 1? Spidey 1 is from 2002, coming out just a few months after Fellowship. The second one came out in July 2004.

46 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think you meant Spider-Man 1? Spidey 1 is from 2002, coming out just a few months after Fellowship. The second one came out in July 2004.

Hmm yeah maybe. Or maybe I bought the LotR CD in 02 or 03, and the Spider-man 2 CD in 04. 

It’s so long ago I can’t really remember 

On 18. Februar 2020 at 7:07 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

When Barad-dûr collapses, and the "evil" theme turns from minor, to major, I'm not not sure if I've ever heard a more triumphant piece of Shore music. Sublime.

RotK is the most operatic of the 3, and the way Shore approached it, writing long pieces instead of individual cues, makes for an absolutely captivating listening experience, and brings the movie together on a whole different level. His ability to create overarching ideas, and not so much score the action, but rather create a piece of music whose highs and lows just happen to fit a picture going along with it, is in its own league in RotK. And that's despite RotK being the most fragmented of the three films.

The sequence starting with Arwen having her vision, returning to Rivendell, the forging of the sword, and ending with Gandalf at the White Tree, is probably the most awe inspiring piece of film Music I've ever heard. There no less than SEVEN major themes in there, combined effortlessly. The strings playing Twilight and Shadow when Arwen returns to a withering Rivendell will stay with me for as long as I live.

The consistent level of brilliance in all 10 hours of music is unmatched.

I would also like to take a moment to mention that Shore's trilogy is probably the only one in decades, whose third chapter is actually topping the previous two.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:07 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

When Barad-dûr collapses, and the "evil" theme turns from minor, to major, I'm not not sure if I've ever heard a more triumphant piece of Shore music. Sublime.

Holy shit I can't believe I never noticed that before. 

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

The sequence starting with Arwen having her vision, returning to Rivendell, the forging of the sword, and ending with Gandalf at the White Tree, is probably the most awe inspiring piece of film Music I've ever heard. 

I always skip the Arwen vision cue (I don't tend to enjoy some of the more fluffier soprano ruminations on these scores), but I'm going to try this sequence of tracks tonight.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else a fan of Osgiliath Invaded and The Siege of Gondor? My two favorite pieces of action music for ROTK.

Those used to be on repeat for weeks at a time, until I really overdid it.

I've maintained some distance from LOTR (score and film) for some time now. But a proper marathon might be overdue.