Why future Star Wars expansions shouldn't be exclusively released as physical limited edition sets

Manakin Skywalker

There isn't a shot in the dark that Disney Records would release expansions of JW's Star Wars scores on CD only.  They'd be simultaneous CD & digital editions, like the OST albums for 7-9 were, or like Universal did with the three Back to the Future scores in 2015

Just now, Jay said:

There isn't a shot in the dark that Disney Records would release expansions on CD only.  They'd be simultaneous CD & digital editions, like the OST albums for 7-9 were

Definitely. And that's the way it should be.

Controversial? I don't know why anyone wouldn't want for anyone anywhere to be able to access them easily and properly. I'd love to have physical nice looking sets too of course.

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Controversial? I don't know why anyone wouldn't want for anyone anywhere to be able to access them easily and properly. I'd love to have physical nice looking sets too of course.

I was thinking while typing; I was originally defending digital-only sets like Solo, but decided perhaps not to go that far.

EDIT: I removed "controversial" from the title since it's no longer necessary.

I think digital-only is absolutely the way to go for expansions of even quite big scores like Solo. Forget about the mechanical/manufacturing/delivery overheads and focus on what's actually important. Provided they're purchasable in lossless of course.

For really small scores, I'm ecstatic just when I find I can buy an mp3 album; lossless is the icing on the cake.

Mainstream Star Wars is different, because the market is monumental for those, and Disney woud have no trouble shifting CDs/box sets.

Excellent points made. Personally, I would go either way. I would pay whatever the price is for the eventual remastered, expanded and definitive release of the Maestro's nine Star Wars scores. For digital, I'll go a step further and say that the set include a digital booklet showcasing the making of the Maestro's scores and details chronicling different leitmotifs and themes. Either way, I REALLY want this set to become a reality!