Name that tune (possible sea shanty?)

Datameister

All right, here's a really random one for ya. There's a melody that crops up numerous times in this old Wonderful World of Color episode during the segment about Pirates of the Caribbean. For instance, it's played prominently by the banjo at 16:38 in this video:

Franklyn Marks is credited as the composer for the episode, and George Bruns's "Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)" is featured quite a bit, but this is something else. I suppose there's a chance that it's a melody written specifically for this episode...but I kind of doubt it. It feels like Marks is quoting something...a sea shanty, a traditional song, even a theme from an older pirate film...not sure.

Here's a quick-and-dirty transcription of the first part of the melody:

image.png

Musipedia was no help. I appreciate any assistance y'all might be able to offer!

I should've heard a fair few sea shanties over the years, but this one isn't ringing any bells for me...

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Speaking of sea shanties, this is a good album:

This one too: :D

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Have you tried Shazam?

Doesn't it only search for that specific recording? I know this was written for the show - I just want to know if the composer was quoting something else.

I think Google has some new app where you can hum a song and it will try to find it. May not work, but it could be worth a shot.

It definitely sounds like something else to me as well. It almost feels like I've heard it elsewhere before but I couldn't tell you what it's called. 

9 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I think Google has some new app where you can hum a song and it will try to find it. May not work, but it could be worth a shot.

It definitely sounds like something else to me as well. It almost feels like I've heard it elsewhere before but I couldn't tell you what it's called. 

Good tip, but I just tried it - no luck. :(

Anyone else?

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Did you remark I have'nt answered this thread yet?

Well, it's because I don't know what a Shanty is.

Instead of typing 19 words here to say you don't know what a shanty is, you could have typed one word into Google and gotten an answer. ;)

He, he.

For once, I agree with Bespin (and that's super-rare!). One of my greatest annoyances on film music messageboards is the "Google it!" comment. It's like if you were a guest at someone's house in the pre-internet days, you asked the host for a piece of information, just casually in a conversation, and the host says "I know the answer to your question, but I won't say it. Instead, there's an encyclopedia over there on the shelf. Go look it up yourself!". Even if googling is a much simpler thing to do, I just find that comment extremely rude.

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

He, he.

For once, I agree with Bespin (and that's super-rare!). One of my greatest annoyances on film music messageboards is the "Google it!" comment. It's like if you were a guest at someone's house in the pre-internet days, you asked the host for a piece of information, just casually in a conversation, and the host says "I know the answer to your question, but I won't say it. Instead, there's an encyclopedia over there on the shelf. Go look it up yourself!". Even if googling is a much simpler thing to do, I just find that comment extremely rude.

In a real-life casual conversation, it makes sense to say, "Ooh, what's a shanty?" (Not "Did you notice I haven't participated in this conversation yet? Well, it's because I don't know what a shanty is.") The alternative would be to go look up the answer, which requires splitting your attention between your phone/encyclopedia/whatever and the conversation...or, more absurdly, asking the others to pause their conversation so you can look it up.

But on a message board, conversation is inevitably different. It plays out on the phone/computer already, and it's a much slower pace too. Taking a few seconds to look up a word doesn't slow down or distract from a conversation in which the next participant might not "speak" for another hour or two. So if you're just looking for the definition of a word with no particularly technical, complex, or nuanced meaning behind it...yeah, I think the most polite (and efficient) thing to do is to just Google it first. Why type up multiple lines of text explaining how you don't know a word when instead you could open a new tab (a single click/tap, or two keystrokes if you're a hotkey fiend like me), type in six letters that you would have already been typing as part of those lines of text, and get the following beautiful answer delivered in a fraction of a second?

image.png

Now, if it's a concept that one is having trouble understanding because it's highly technical, or confusing, or obscure, or difficult to explain, then sure...makes sense to ask. I guess my point is...Bespin's approach actually required more time and effort from him. He had to go out of his way to do it, and it led us down this tangent about internet etiquette that might be described by a particularly charitable individual as "almost mildly interesting" and ultimately had no bearing whatsoever on whether he recognized the melody or not. I would also argue that the meaning could be guessed fairly easily from context (we're talking about pirates, and I suggested that the composer may be quoting "a sea shanty, a traditional song, [or] even a theme from an older pirate film").

My mild rudeness was a lighthearted response to his mild rudeness. But...to get us back on track...I'll simply let @Bespin know that a shanty is a type of work song that was once commonly sung to accompany labor onboard large merchant sailing vessels.

;)