The Legend of Zelda

Lord Gibson

A friend sent me a MP3 that he found, since he knows I?m a big JW fan and a big Zelda fan, of The Legend of Zelda by Jon Williams. I could not believe my eyes as I read what the name said. Could this be true? Is this real? I was skeptical.

And so I listened, right away I recognized the type of orchestration to be ?Williamesque? (is this how it is written?), especially the beginning, reminding me of the beginning to the march part of Superman March.

And yes, it is the theme to ?The Legend of Zelda? from the old Nintendo days.

I must say that I LOVE THIS TRACK!!!

But were did it come from? When was it made and for what purpose? If anyone out there tell me, or perhaps give me a LINK (jijiji) to a previous topic if it has been talked about before.

Thanks!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but that was NOT written by JW. There are many people who automatically attribute anything they hear from a movie to him, and that sometimes bleeds over to video games too. It is a superb piece of music, but not by our man.

This comes up all the time. I should make this a sticky topic. There are many mis-labeled mp3's out there. We all know that John Williams did not write Back to the Future or Batman yet many mp3's are attributed to him. And he never re-recorded them with the Boston Pops either. And he never, ever ,ever recorded or re-did Legend of Zelda music. Who did? Here are the details. If I'm not mistaken it's from a CD conducted by Kousuke Onozaki and performed by The Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra. I'm not sure who wrote the Zelda theme, but it wasn't John Williams.

Neil

Koji Kondo is the man behind the Zelda music. I think I have that same MP3, always thought the Pops recorded it for some reason :-/

I got that from Kazaa. I just got a recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, atributed to Williams and the Pops. I know he never recorded this, but I thought maybe is a live recording... Wrong. This was a late 70's recording, with the Boston Pops, but conducted by legendary Arthur Fiedler (I know that because I already had that recording on cd). You have to be very carefull witht eh sources of your mp3's. They are mislabeled all the time :)

Bargh, I replied twice before, but they didn't work. The track is from a CD called 'Game Music Concert' performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. It's a masterpiece CD and was released in the early 1990s. Two Zelda tracks were on it, the Overworld (the one you're talking about) and the theme to "Hyrule Castle", both from "A Link To The Past". Another absolutely stunning and superb theme is the medley to "Super Mario Bros." The CD is pretty rare, but if you find it it will be more than worth the price. It spawned three sequels, each just as good over the early 90s. As for the John Williams tag, something this good, people who don't know film music well would easily call this his work. I suppose because he's so well known.

I have an mp3 called "Braveheart (Main Titles) - John Williams with The Boston Pops" (from napster). It's a completely different recording from the London Symphony soundtrack recording, but is this one really performed by BPO with JW? I've lived the past 3 years believing it's them with JW but never found it on any CD to make sure, so this might be one of those duperies I may have a lot more of.......

;)

Bargh, I replied twice before, but they didn't work. The track is from a CD called 'Game Music Concert' performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. It's a masterpiece CD and was released in the early 1990s.

Yes, a bit mushy sometimes, but a great idea.

Two Zelda tracks were on it, the Overworld (the one you're talking about) and the theme to "Hyrule Castle", both from "A Link To The Past". Another absolutely stunning and superb theme is the medley to "Super Mario Bros."

It is indeed.

The CD is pretty rare, but if you find it it will be more than worth the price. It spawned three sequels, each just as good over the early 90s.

In fact, they've been 5 Orchestral Game Concert Music CDs released so far.

I was pissed off they didn't do the score to the latest Zelda game with a real orchestra like they said they were going to do. Instead we got an "electronically created" one.

Thanks ya' all!! ;)

The track is from a CD called 'Game Music Concert' performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. It's a masterpiece CD and was released in the early 1990s.

Wow! Now I have a CD to look for at the San Diego Comic Con. I hope I find it, but until then I'll play the track I have until it can't play no more!!

CCI03BusAd.jpg

I love that Zelda music.

Also dug music to Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon... and the list goes on and on when I was a high schooler in the late 80's - early 90's... played far too many video games... and wouldn't have it any other way.