Making of Jurassic Park end credits

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-Rex jeep chase then, you know what I mean :)

But being the Raptor Theme then it was probably not used for that scene, any other ideas?

-Tim

By the way did you get my e-mails Stefancos? :sigh:

That music belongs to the scene where Ellie is chased by a raptor right after getting the electricity back. For some reason, it was dropped and they used tracked music instead.

At least, that's what we all thought back in december 2000.

Its amazing how they left out almost all action music from the OST. We surely will have another feeling with that score, i think.

Good point Luke. I have felt for quite some time that Jurassic Park deserved a much better release than it got. I said the same about A.I. and Harry Potter when their soundtracks were released as well. The OST for JP is totally out of order, and worst of all, it repeats music three or four times. Something should have been done about that. There are several great cues that are currently unreleased, cues ranging from nice underscore (before the tour, outside the Visitors Center) as well as great action (The Great T-Rex Chase, Ellie's raptor encounters), and of course the music for Mr. DNA. It's a true shame how poorly put ogether that soundtrack is. Even the tracks are mislabelled. That's inexcusable. If I ever get a hold of some of those unreleased cues, I'm gonna make my own soundtrack, the way it should have been done, in chronolgical order with no repetitions that puts to use all 78 minutes of the CD.

Ted

Good point Luke. I have felt for quite some time that Jurassic Park deserved a much better release than it got. I said the same about A.I. and Harry Potter when their soundtracks were released as well.

I disagree partly here,the JP c.d.,as we know,is missing only 12 minutes of score,and most of that is not for action scenes except for the T-Rex chase.That's not that much for a Williams O.S.T.,so I don't put it in the same "criminally incomplete" category as some other O.S.T. we have.But it's irritating we don't have those unreleased cues,but have 3 identical performances of the Island Fanfare.

K.M.

Yes, we had this discussion before, and although it may be true that only 12 minutes from the film are missing (which is still twelve minutes!), I think Williams wrote a lot more original music that didn't make it into the movie. I am very curious about this music, if it does exist.

MSM

As am I, MSM. I also think that those twelve minutes of score are quite good. I dont doubt the fact that there is only twelve minutes, as I think there has been a complete cue analysis. But I do find it hard to believe that its only twelve minutes. As many of you may know, I know my movies. I know of several scenes in that film with unreleased music, and really good music. If there is only twelve minutes, than Jurassic Park must be a very short score, because there isn't a huge amount of music on the OST due to the repeatings of a lot of it.

So you make a good point K.M., but I would compare JP with AI in terms of bad album producing. Perhaps I was wrong to include Harry Potter in that group, because though it is poorly produced in my opinion, at least it doesnt repeat things and has the tracks occur in the order they appear in the film, which I think is important with any and every film score.

But A.I. and Jurassic Park are inexcusable.

Ted

It all comes down to luck and individual fondness for certain scores,and just how much of the music you really like happened to be released with the original O.S.T. without crucial cues beeing ommited. I'd like these 12 minutes from JP or the 10 minutes missing from Raiders a lot more than the 1 hour or so of unreleased music from Saving Private Ryan.

Next best thing to a 2 c.d. Complete score release,would be and Expanded 1 c.d. release filled to capacity,AND where we could individually could choose whatever we want from the score.

And worst albums=Return of the Jedi original release(during the 10 years before we had the box set) and ToD original release,those are unforgivable crimes...a lot more than JP.

K.M.

It all comes down to luck and individual fondness for certain scores,and just how much of the music you really like happened to be released with the original O.S.T. without crucial cues beeing ommited. I'd like these 12 minutes from JP or the 10 minutes missing from Raiders a lot more than the 1 hour or so of unreleased music from Saving Private Ryan.

Next best thing to a 2 c.d. Complete score release,would be and Expanded 1 c.d. release filled to capacity,AND where we could individually could choose whatever we want from the score.

And worst albums=Return of the Jedi original release(during the 10 years before we had the box set) and ToD original release,those are unforgivable crimes...a lot more than JP.

K.M.

You have made many good points. I agree about having the Raiders or Jurassic Park music over the Saving Private Ryan music. While I love concert pieces, since they promote film musci as a medium that is meant to be taken seriously, I still wish that we could have some of those smaller moments on album. I live for those smaller moments. For example, in the expository scenes of Jurassic Park, when the story is being set up, and they cut from the Dominican Republic to the Badlands where they are digging up the raptor skeleton, that is phenomenal music. It stars with a heavy chorus as the camera zooms on the amber and then a light chorus as it zooms out on the skeleton. Other things like Mr. DNA and the scene before they star the tour when Alan meets the kids, also have really good music that I would love to be able to listen to. There is also of course the action cues, like the Great T-Rex chase and other various pieces.

There are examples of this in every film that Williams has scored. I dont think its the sweeping, huge aspects of film music that show how good a composer is, it's the small moments. And part of the reason why I have always tohught Williams is the greatest is because he is the master of knowing where music should be, what kind of music it should be, and how strong it should be. Little moments do it for me, and Williams has had many of them over the years.

Ted

I'd like these 12 minutes from JP or the 10 minutes missing from Raiders a lot more than the 1 hour or so of unreleased music from Saving Private Ryan.

K.M.

Isnt Saving Private Ryan complete?

I'd like these 12 minutes from JP or the 10 minutes missing from Raiders a lot more than the 1 hour or so of unreleased music from Saving Private Ryan.

K.M.

Hard to tell,all the music sounds the same.

K.M.

Don't you think it's a bit strange there has never been a bootleg of the complete score for Jurassic Park?

MSM

K.M.

It is more than complete - there is music that was never used in the film. A rare thing for an original release.

GOSH DAMMIT ALL TO HECK!

Yes, I made complete "private, fan-made promotional" CDRs. The are on my trade list (The Trading Board). Both have some sound effects (not intolerable though), although TLW has more than JP.

I am 99.9% POSITIVE that the "Making Of JP" End Credits is indeed the unused alternate to "Ellie In The Power Shed". It closely matches the action and ends with the same exact "sneaky" creepy "Dino-danger" motif that begins the following scene (Muldoon hunting/being hunted).

I also believe I can figure out the a reason why it was dropped as well. The Sam Jackson severed arm gag. It is possible that Spielberg wanted that shock value and desired the music to calm down and then start up again... and that was impossible with the "composed for" music, so he tracked/looped/edited the "Running To The Power Shed" cue (which I don't like because I almost always prefer Williams' original vision-- one rare exception being the "Binary Sunset", but that was a "composed for" alternate so it worked-- I HATE the tracked/looped/edited ones).

I will be changing my email address for now because my main address is 1) Deluged with Spam and 2) Run by Outlook Express which crashes upon opening. I can see your emails on my server, but I have a hard time opening them. Hence, I will use one of my Yahoo accounts... at least for now. :music:

As soon as I post this, I will change "My email" button (if the board permits me to that is). :P