Blue Beetle (2023)

dyemery

The director’s creative team behind the scenes include composer Bobby Krlic (“Midsommar,” the “Snowpiercer” series).

On 3/4/2023 at 11:39 PM, Edmilson said:

Interesting choice of a composer. Isn't this guy mostly known for experimental horror scores?

He also has worked on Atticus Ross’s team a number of times (on Ross’s scores with his brother, not scores with Reznor).

• 4 months later...

From the MMUK review of the score:

There has been a lot of talk in Hollywood recently about the use of A.I. to create content. It is part of the ongoing strikes happening right now; the actors union SAG-AFTRA are concerned about digital image rights among other things, while the writers union WGA are concerned about their work being undermined by text-generating software like ChatGPT. So far the impact of A.I. on film music has been negligible, but there are certainly concerns about whether music-composing software, similar to what ChatGPT does for text, will eventually become a norm, potentially replacing human composers when it comes to creating music. The reason I’m talking about this in relation to the score for Blue Beetle is because, for perhaps the first time ever, I feel like I’m listening to a score generated by a bot.

Ouch!

Has anyone heard it, or seen the movie?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

From the MMUK review of the score:

Ouch!

Has anyone heard it, or seen the movie?

I saw the movie in theater with my wife and we both really enjoyed it because of the family at the heart of it (no supporting characters these; they are heroic in their own right). Xolo deserves to be a big star, and George Lopez grows in his role to become almost the second lead. Unfortunately, there are a lot of tired superhero tropes and DCEU trash aesthetics. And the worst of the latter is the score itself. This is probably the worst superhero score I have *ever* heard, and I don't think I'm even exaggerating. Sometimes it's functional enough in the film, but it has NO personality and is indeed super generic. Central theme is more like a three note motif, and it sucks. Virtually ZERO Hispanic flavor of any kind which is a huge missed opportunity.

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

Having seen the movie, I have to say I wholeheartedly disagree with Broxton.

When Krlic was announced as the composer, I was hoping for the first 100% electronic score for a DC/Marvel movie. And though there are a few orchestral cues and they're by far the weakest part of the score, most of the music is still synth-based, which I found to be a refreshing approach to the superhero genre.

About the lack of Hispanic music, well, there's a lot of songs in the movie, most of them are from Latino artists, so it's those songs who bring the "hispanic flavor", while the score focuses on the emotions. I'm pretty sure other movies used this approach before.

After years and years of generic superhero scores, these days I honestly prefer something more electronic like Blue Beetle than stuff like Shazam 2, where it's just uninspired orchestral writing.

It's utterly baffling to me that Broxton is praising to the heavens stuff like Balfe's Dead Reckoning while still giving this score so much shit.

I kinda agree with all of you - the score is frigging terrible, but it is not Krlic's fault. But I also have no interest in listening to any of Beck's recent nonsense. Have not even watched Shazam or fragging Ant-man

But this score is a 1000 times more interesting than a lot of mainstream stuff out there and makes Krlic an important voice

I guess I was kinda hoping that he would be another Goldenthal, graduating from dark classical film scores into superhero grandeur,