TOP GUN: Limited Edition (2-CD SET) by La La Land Records

On 11/03/2024 at 2:02 PM, Tallguy said:

Oh, I forgot to mention this: The liner notes give you an idea of how long this set has been ready to go. "The score's legacy also lives on: in 2020, Faltermeyer will co-score the long awaited sequel, Top Gun: Maverick, with a fellow German composer who followed in his synthesized footsteps, Hans Zimmer."

I'm not into either of these scores so haven't followed the various machinations, but is there a good reason why he co-scored Maverick with Zimmer/Balfe? I.e. a reason that doesn't involve them being able to put Zimmer's name on the cover, but a genuine workload-related reason.

I received The Rock yesterday and my read of the liners made it clear that Zimmer/HGW's involvemement was due to better editing technology resulting in the music needing constant changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2024 at 2:34 PM, HanFiredFirst said:

Really wish they'd put a note in the liner notes to give us the chronological sequence - trying to remember/guess where songs appeared in relation to track names is a bit hit and miss - even with the helpful Charlie Brigden cue breakdown from 2010.

Should not be that difficult, here's the list:

1-1. Main Title
1-2. Carrier Takeoffs and Landings
1-3. Two Migs, Not One / Cougar Chased by Mig / Mav Flips the Bird / Cougar's Troubled Landing
1-4. Mav Goes to Fightertown
> 2-4. Lead Me On - Teena Marie
> 2-6. Hot Summer Nights - Miami Sound Machine
1-5. Jester Flying
1-6. Tower Flyby
1-7. Viper Comes Down on Mav
1-8. Mav and Goose In Room
> 2-3. Playing With the Boys - Kenny Loggins
1-9. Dinner at Charlie's
> 2-11. (Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
1-10. Mav Says Goodbye to Charlie
> 2-7. Heaven In Your Eyes - Loverboy
1-11. Love Scene
1-12. Mav vs Viper
1-13. End Locker Room and Photo
> 2-13. Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
1-14. Aerial Sequence
1-15. Goose's Death / Memories
1-16. Mav Reflects in Goose's Room / Board of Inquiry / Charlie and Mav in Airport Bar
1-17. Viper's House Pt. 1
1-18. Viper's House Pt. 2
> 2-9. Destination Unknown - Marietta
1-19. Carrier Ready Room and Takeoffs
1-20. Mav is Launched / Mav Bugs Out / Mav Returns to Battle / Return to Carrier
> 2-17. Radar Radio - Giorgio Moroder feat. Joe Pizzulo
> 2-14. You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ - The Righteous Brothers
> 2-2. Mighty Wings - Cheap Trick

Sadly they scrubbed the vocals from all "Danger Zone" and Love Theme related score tracks. So it is not really possible to recreated the film score anyway.

I get they wanted a clean score presentation, but in this case the vocals are such central part of the soundtrack it does not really make sense to me.

I've been waiting 38 years to get my hands on the "Main Title" - but for me this release in that form is only near perfect and not the holy grail I was hoping and waiting for.  :(

No, not exactly. It is as I list it, but the "Carrier Takeoffs and Landings" sounds like "Danger Zone" because in the film it has vocals that are missing on the CD. I went through the film yesterday to confirm my playlist. 1-2, 1-4 and 1-14 all have Kenny Loggins vocals at some place or another. 1-10 has humming throughout that's missing - which makes it a completely different piece of music than what we hear right now. 1-11 has Terri Nunn vocals. That's why the whole "Love Theme" section on disc 1 right now sounds so long and tedious - because they stripped it of all variation.

9 hours ago, gps said:

No, not exactly. It is as I list it, but the "Carrier Takeoffs and Landings" sounds like "Danger Zone" because in the film it has vocals that are missing on the CD. I went through the film yesterday to confirm my playlist. 1-2, 1-4 and 1-14 all have Kenny Loggins vocals at some place or another. 1-10 has humming throughout that's missing - which makes it a completely different piece of music than what we hear right now. 1-11 has Terri Nunn vocals. That's why the whole "Love Theme" section on disc 1 right now sounds so long and tedious - because they stripped it of all variation.

Thanks GPS - I'll give it a try, though I think a playback without Danger Zone included in it (whether it's strictly a screen accurate representation or not) feels wrong. To be honest, I prefer to lose some accuracy to enjoy a song - otherwise I'd be cutting songs down to reflect only the bits you hear in a film, and I'm not that anal about it. So Danger Zone I think has to go back where it *feels* like it should be, at the start of the track listing. This again, is what annoys me about the release - the songs used are part of the score with Top Gun, it's impossioble to imagine without Berlin or Kenny Loggins, so separating them out makes no sense. 

Mine arrived today:

IMG_2847.jpeg

I appreciate the comments above about the lack of vocals, but I’m really enjoying the disc 1 tracks without them.

Over an hour of Harold Faltermeyer in his peak-80s synth mode is such a blast. The Anthem early demos are fascinating and Radar Radio is so good to finally hear on CD.

Mark

2 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I appreciate the comments above about the lack of vocals, but I’m really enjoying the disc 1 tracks without them.

I never said there's not much to enjoy here. When I got the disk I heard stuff like "Main Title" or "Jester Flying" four or five times in a row. But you can't deny that especially tracks 1-10 and 1-11 sound like a Karaoke track or a keyboard in auto-accompany mode. It's glaing obvious that somethings missing there and those are not complete pieces of music - and that's what's really irritating about this release. They go all the way to put everything that's in the movie on disk - I mean that's the whole point of Lalalands limited releases: to really put everthing on disk noone else but nerds like us are interested in. And then they drop the vocals. Either this is really a mistake or oversight, or there must be severe legal or licencing issues behind it. It is a great release nevertheless, but it leaves a bit of a strange taste.

Agree to disagree. I’ve heard those three tracks (DZ, MW & TMBA) with vocals consistently for nearly four decades and it’s now great to hear them without. I have some sympathy for your comment about 1-10 and 1-11 sounding a bit karaoke, but that’s an artefact of the original synth production.

I do agree with your comment about LLL’s market aims, so I am surprised they didn’t bin the vintage tracks (2-11, 2-13 & 2-14, none of which is exactly difficult to find on CD, to put it mildly) and use the ~15 minutes you’d then have free on D2 to give you guys the vocal tracks you want (and I’m happy without!).

Mark

4 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

... but that’s an artefact of the original synth production.

Yes, I disagree. Sorry!  ;)

Regarding "original production" I go with what is and has been in the movie since 1986. Anytime. And not what has been release in 2024 as a 5000 items limited edition. If the recorded synth track leaves holes to be filled with vocals, that's is not an intended artefact. It is an unfilled hole.

At a total guess I'm figuring that some of this was driven by how the rights for the original tracks worked. It can't be an accident that we got the latest configuration of the album on disc 2. And that none of the disc 1 tracks have vocalists that have to be paid. (I'm sure it's not even cost as much as writing up new agreements.)

It's been a while since I've seen the film and I never payed attention to the music in terms of song / song w/o vocals / score before. But unless I'm totally misremembering there is a fair amount of the film were the songs play w/o vocals. Danger Zone only plays with lyrics in the opening scene, right?

Yes, the irksome ones are the ones where the songs play with DIFFERENT vocals (not the lyrics) than the album tracks. (Take My Breath Away.) And those are not represented here.

I suppose I'll have to watch the film again soon.

Yes, I also consider it highly likeliy this is a licencing issue.

And no, all "Danger Zone" related tracks, 1-2, 1-4 and also 1-14 in the movie have vocals at some place or another. 1-10 seems to be cut into several places between leaving Charlottes home and the love scene that all have Terri Nunn humming that is completely it's own thing and nowhere replicated in the official song version. 1-11 also has vocals, but clearly also is not the same version as the song.

• 2 weeks later...

Still enjoying this release on many levels. A couple of questions have occurred to me:

1) Where exactly in the film is Heaven In Your Eyes played?

2) Why is Dogfight #3 (D2 T16) slap bang in the middle of the songs section? If it’s used in the film, it should be on D1; if not, it belongs in the Bonus tracks section, surely?

3) Having listened to the two versions of the main theme (D2, Tracks 10 and 20), I can only hear a few performance differences, yet one is about 30 seconds longer. Can anyone post timestamps of the extra section(s) in T20 please?

Mark

57 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Still enjoying this release on many levels. A couple of questions have occurred to me:

1) Where exactly in the film is Heaven In Your Eyes played?

2) Why is Dogfight #3 (D2 T16) slap bang in the middle of the songs section? If it’s used in the film, it should be on D1; if not, it belongs in the Bonus tracks section, surely?

3) Having listened to the two versions of the main theme (D2, Tracks 10 and 20), I can only hear a few performance differences, yet one is about 30 seconds longer. Can anyone post timestamps of the extra section(s) in T20 please?

Mark

1) Dunno. Isn't it very briefly on a jukebox or something?

2) It's not in the middle of the songs section. It's right after the expanded original CD. Dogfight #3 and Radar Radio are B sides of Mighty Wings and Take My Breath Away respectively. So disc 2 is: Expanded Original Soundtrack, B Sides, unused tracks.

3) I actually haven't dug in that far.

1) @gps placed it after Mav says Goodbye and before the Love Scene - more than that, I don’t know.

2) Ah, didn’t realise it was a B-side. Is it unused in the film, then, or not?

3) You and me both!